Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

The word is ....

Prorogation.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 4-Oct-2019 20:04 Message #4756206
Until recently most people I know had never heard this word and those who had heard it didn’t know the meaning.

Did you?

Are there other words you have only come across more recently?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 4-Oct-2019 21:38 Message #4756231
One word, actually it's two words, that I wish I hadn't heard ...Broad Church
Every political pundit uses it and it does my head in....
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 4-Oct-2019 22:15 Message #4756248
I’d never heard of prorogation until the recent fiasco.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 5-Oct-2019 06:52 Message #4756281
Hierophant pundits are particularly keen to jump on the bandwagon with the latest expression ‘broad church’ indeed. Chiog you are right about the word prorogation.
I recall the word ‘redact’ coming into use, possibly from its use in American news or films.
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 5-Oct-2019 07:08 Message #4756283
I'd never heard of prorogation until that buffoon Boris brought it into the public domain and, like HotOrWot, the word redact too.

As for new words, well I get them most days as I subscribe to "Word of the Day" at Dictionary. com about 20% of the words that appear I already know, 30% are new and I may get around to using them someday (if I can remember them!), and the remainder may be interesting but are too obscure to even bother remembering, or using,

Jason.
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 5-Oct-2019 07:13 Message #4756284
Forgot to add:

I also do the online Guardian crossword every day and many days I come across new words - most of those may come in useful - especially for doing crosswords!

I also have a book (yep, one of those antiquated things where you have to turn over a leaf of flattened and bleached wood pulp) of crosswords which I indulge in every now and then.

Jason.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 5-Oct-2019 07:44 Message #4756286
Crosswords have improved my vocabulary Jason.

When I took the name tsunami as my cb radio handle many, many years ago I was often asked what it meant but it’s now in common usage.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 5-Oct-2019 08:30 Message #4756292
I had heard of proroguing and guess it might have the same derivation as prerogative. That'll keep Jason busy for a couple of minutes whilst he checks that out.

I also use the word redact on a fairly frequent basis and have done for decades, as part of my job. Working with legal documents, occasionally documents with confidential patient information and occasionally confidential commercial information from government sources via freedom of information, I see quite a few redacted documents. For all the use they are with the interesting bits under think black lines.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 5-Oct-2019 08:31 Message #4756293
*thick
Male
Argonaut  Male  Lancashire 5-Oct-2019 10:36 Message #4756311
Sorry Minnie,

But after checking (as I'm always on the lookout to learn new things) I can't find any common root to both those words.

Or maybe I just consulted an inadequate dictionary.

Jason.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Oct-2019 11:28 Message #4756312
I'd heard of prorogation, redact, and the term broad church, many people won't of heard of prorogation because its usually used in a historical context, similar with the word dedact/ed.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 5-Oct-2019 12:05 Message #4756318
Recently my advanced maths/physics teacher, whose name is Roger, postponed a meeting.

I emailed him joking that he had prorogued democracy.

He replied "I'm not a rogue, I'm Roger".

Boris Johnson is a Romeo rogue who does much rogering. He doesn't like to reveal how many children he has.

The word "Roger" to mean "received" (as in "Roger willco" for message received and I will co-operate) is derived from the US military alphabet which in 1941 used "Roger" for "R", whereas we use "Romeo".
"Received" starts with "R", and Roger is not an acronym for "Received Order Given, Expect Results".
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 5-Oct-2019 15:09 Message #4756339
A friend referred to her family as cottiers. I think they were labourers in tied accommodation.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 5-Oct-2019 16:27 Message #4756344
The Internet has brought new words into everyday use. The “one before last” became the penultimate.

Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 5-Oct-2019 19:25 Message #4756365
Jeff Sex icon 5-Oct-2019 12:05
The word "Roger" to mean "received" (as in "Roger willco" for message received and I will co-operate) is derived from the US military alphabet which in 1941 used "Roger" for "R", whereas we use "Romeo".
"Received" starts with "R", and Roger is not an acronym for "Received Order Given, Expect Results".

------------------------
Thanks for that enlightening posting.

However, my understanding is that Roger and Wilco are self-standing replies and not used together.

Roger = Received and understood
Wilco = (Received, Understood) and "Will Co-operate" or "Will Comply"

I've previously searched many Web-sites of 1930s - 1950s RAF-speak and have yet to find either Roger or Wilco.
Male
TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire 6-Oct-2019 10:00 Message #4756465
I read a post this morning which used the sentence “He turnt up at the party” and I wondered if turnt was actually a word. I googled.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 6-Oct-2019 10:46 Message #4756475
Good2BWith,

Thanks for pointing out:-
(a) My misspelling of Wilco;
(b) "Wilco" can also mean "will comply";
(c) "Roger" also implies "understood".
(d) Strictly speaking "Roger" is redundant before "Wilco", because willing to co-operate/comply implies that one has received a message.

However, I have seen "Roger Wilco" together (in that context) in some websites.
Also someone might reply "Roger" without commitment to co-operate/comply, and then after a few seconds thought make the decision to co-operate/comply and say "Wilco", but in that case maybe a full stop or comma should be inserted between "Roger" and "Wilco".

If "Roger" means "Received and understood", I wonder if there is a single word that means "Received something but much noise in the signal or my surroundings pervented me from getting a clear message", and a single word that means "Received clearly and I understood each word separately but I didn't understand the message". A word such as "Rubbish" would be ambiguous.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 6-Oct-2019 11:36 Message #4756488
Penultimate has been in use for ages, maybe not as much as now, but I think of it as more of an American import than and internet thing.
Male
TrollPatrol  Male  North Yorkshire 6-Oct-2019 11:38 Message #4756489
Penultimate came into popular use when describing the coming to the end of tv series or box set so it was most likely more of an American import as you say.
Male
Jeff  Male  East Sussex 7-Oct-2019 17:33 Message #4756711
The Oxford English Dictionary has full entries for 171,476 current words and 47,156 obsolete words. Webster's 1961 Dictionary has over 470,000 entries (including misspellings) in usage. Its last word is Zyzzogeton which is a leafhopper insect - I don't know what its penultimate words is.

Maybe "Received but noisy in the signal or at reception" could be reresented by a word such as "Noisy".
And "Received but not understood" could be "Uncomprehended" or "Ambiguous".
Also "Expecting a message from you but not yet received one" could be "Waiting".

But how can such single words about the message be distinguished from an answer if the message had an appropriate question?

For example, if the message from Alice to Bob seemed to ask for one word to describe a party over the road, and Bob replied "Noisy", would Alice know whether her signal hadn't been received clearly or whether the party was loud?

For extra clarity we need a few more words!
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 7-Oct-2019 17:49 Message #4756715
Well I am a bit surprised, prorogue/prorogation is a word I have heard often as it is used to report the end of the final parliamentary session before the State Opening of Parliament and the monarch's speech heralding the start of a new parliamentary session.

Maybe I just listen to different items on the radio.

SQL
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Oct-2019 20:43 Message #4756761
Goodness me, I am going to have to get some glasses, I thought it said "propogation".
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 7-Oct-2019 21:34 Message #4756777
I don't think penultimate is a new word. It has been around since the 70s, at least.

I think that he words that people know and size of vocabulary has a lot to do with how much they read and their choice of reading matter, or maybe from educational programmes on TV and radio. I write for a living, so I would expect that I have a larger vocabulary than most.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Oct-2019 23:21 Message #4756795
Most of the words have been around for a very long time but have only recently had exposure in the news or online.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 7-Oct-2019 23:24 Message #4756796
In my view, the thing with a word like 'Prorogation' is that it used to be used infrequently...so it often went by a bit unnoticed by many...especially people who weren't that politically minded in their daily lives...

Now it has become 'Big time'....Across all news...everywhere....for obvious reasons....

It'll die down again soon.....and fade away...or even evanesce....( ok, I looked that up...)

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »