Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Animal welfare

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 4-Oct-2019 17:51 Message #4756179
I had what some called a strange relationship with my dog, basically the little sod rarely (I thought) did anything I wanted. Then one night I was really ill and thought I was about to pop me clogs so let him go. He went sniffing the undergrowth about ten foot away from the boat, had a piddle, then came straight back and wouldn't go out again all that night.
I'd say the relationship we had was more friendship, I fed him and gave him a home, he looked after me; he was a rescue dog, whether that had anything to do with his attitude I don't know.

Anyway, recent events made me wonder, what sort of relationship do you have with any animal sharing your home - if you have one - do you see them as pets, as friends, as a creature you own, as something you're responsible for? Care to tell us something about yours? I know wonderoushen has talked a bit about hers, what about yours?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 4-Oct-2019 18:28 Message #4756186
I have two border collies who live with me, but they are my daughter's dogs.

Dog 1 was around 8 years old when daughter adopted her when daughter could hardly look after herself. I thought borrowing the dog for a night, when the previous owner realised his fist dog kept attacking her, would put her off as half the time she can't feed herself. Anyway, the dog arrived, filthy, peeing itself with it's filthy bed and cowering.
She waiting until the dog moved a bit, then gently patted her and encouraged her. Before the evening was out she took the dog into the shower with her, a tiny compartment in a basement flat that she managed to get as a disabled student. She had to get to bed straight after and the dog settled down.
Daughter then aged around 27 phoned me, and I knew I had lost the battle when she said "I lover her mum!"
From that day the dog was emotionally connected to my daughter's moods. Due to my daughter's chronic fatigue that sometimes kept her hardly able to wash and get to the bathroom, the dog could tell the difference between can't (physical health) and won't (lack of motivation due to depression).
If daughter was physically unable, another student that joined "BorrowMyDoggie.com" used to come and let herself in and take the dog out, but the student said the dog couldn't wait until she got back to my daughter. If my daughter struggled to take the dog out, the dog would always look with concern t see how my daughter was doing, if my daughter was well, the dog would bark and yap to cajole daughter into throwing the ball and doing what dogs normally enjoy.
If daughter is ill, now she has moved back home, I try to get the dog to leave her side for the dog's sake, but the dog just cannot wait to get back to my daughter's side, even if the door is open and yet chooses to spend as much time as possible just lying next to her , even her crash goes on for 2-3 weeks.
Now the dog is around 15 and is going blind and deaf, legs going, but she still eats and enjoy a walk. It will be a very difficult decision to know the time if we have to say good bye.

Dog 2 gets on very well with Dog 1 but although around 8, she s more like 2. She is scatty and ungainly, scruffy and odd. Has not got a clue how my daughter is but oddly enough, she does know when Dog 1 is not well and sleeps with her.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 4-Oct-2019 18:43 Message #4756188
I think of them as friends who I care for, I don't feel ownership and I hate the very concept of owning a sentient creature, although they're dependent on me for so much I'm as dependent on them. The dogs are my physio team who take me for regular walks which help my mobility, pain levels and general fitness, they're also a bit mentally challenging as anyone who knows greyhound know what sneak thieves they are and to what lengths you have to go to to stop them nicking food. The cats help my mental wellbeing, sometimes all you need is a big purry cuddle, they create challenges too, I think some fo the great mysteries of the universe involve cats, like why does a cat have to park its wet and furry bottom an any piece of paper important to a human?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 4-Oct-2019 19:11 Message #4756199
My daughter says Dog 1 is her partner and Dog 2 is her pet.
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 4-Oct-2019 20:08 Message #4756207
I have a cat which is looked after by me and my neighbour as I’m often working when she is at home. So she gets spoilt by both of us. She always runs to see me when I arrive home. She is affectionate, funny and has a big personality. It’s a bit like sharing with a best friend.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 4-Oct-2019 20:47 Message #4756217
It's obvious Hen. Cats read through their bottoms. Being a bit moist helps transfer the words from the paper. Didn't you know that?

My current cat is a bit of a wuss and very needy. I am his carer and protector. I don't own him. He just left where he was supposed to be (a few doors up the road), moved in with me and my ancient Pickle (now deceased) a few years ago and refused to go home or stay there if I took him back.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 4-Oct-2019 20:53 Message #4756220
I,ve had a few dogs in my life, four legged ones, lol, and one just one was my best mate,...…...gawd the conversations that dog had to listen to from me, she was just my best friend and I loved her so much, the one before and the one after were just dogs, I fed and cleaned up after them, played with them etc, they guarded the house but no real connection with them.....not like that one in the middle...…
I haven't had a dog for 2 years now and am thinking the right one will come along, if its meant to be....
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 4-Oct-2019 23:09 Message #4756257
funny you should say that euro, my maisie [collie] who i lost a year ago was on a different level to the others i,ve had.
i swear she could read my mind, i never had to train her in any way, it was "just there".
one day i was having an altercation with some yoofs and when i finally walked away i noticed she was "set" ready to have the gobby one...it took three calls for her to come away, slowly. i always felt after that she would stand by me whatever.
i like to think the bond was formed when she was young and she was being savaged by two alsatians, who i managed to fight off at the cost of a broken wrist.

she had a sense of humour...one day in the vets waiting room this alsatian came in, barking like mad, and its owner shouting "tyson shut up"etc.
this tyson settled down, but not for long, as soon as it looked at maisie who was lying down, nonchalantly resting her head on her front paws, she curled her lips back to flash her pearly whites at it, and tyson kicked off again barking its head off and its owner trying to get it to calm down.
three times she did this until we got called in...by this time others in the waiting room were smiling and chuckling at her antics, but tysons owner hadnt twigged what was going on.
on the way out we had to pass tyson, and she gave him a parting shot of her whites, setting him off one last time, and its owner then sussed what had happened.

just two of the many memories we made together.

if a dog can be a soulmate, she was mine...i miss her so much ;¬)

p.s, when i was looking for a dog i said i didnt want a collie and i didnt want a bitch...how strange is life ?
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 4-Oct-2019 23:14 Message #4756260
oh my last dog was a Maisie,lol….and my soulmate dog was also a collie...…….but called roxy
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 4-Oct-2019 23:22 Message #4756261
are our long lost soulmates trying to match us up euro ?

they probably think we should get married and have babies... ha ha !
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 4-Oct-2019 23:29 Message #4756262
lol.....I,ll marry you if you have the babies..lol
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 5-Oct-2019 00:08 Message #4756264
ooer, i think it might smart a bit...i,d rather have root canal treatment without being numbed up :^)
Female
Mary  Female  Norfolk 5-Oct-2019 01:05 Message #4756269
I have 4 cats. I started out with 2 but they both had litters, and I kept 2 of the kittens.

Cagney, Laicey, Smudge and Roger.

They are ideal for me. I keep them outside as much as possible, and I like them to eat out. I.e. catch things to eat. I live in the country, so there's plenty of pigeons etc. to eat.
I do feed them too.

They are lovely, and follow me about. And they chase one another which is fun to watch.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Oct-2019 11:35 Message #4756314
That explains it then, thanks Aely, but what about when they do it on a blank piece of paper or a picture? Both Bertie and Fearn have gone for the Klingon method of learning to read, eating books, the last book Fearn tried to eat was a dictionary it proved little large for her.

Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 5-Oct-2019 16:30 Message #4756346
My dog is my best friend. It might sound odd or sad to those who have never had a much loved pet.
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 5-Oct-2019 19:10 Message #4756363
I have my cat simba .i loves him so much .he sleps by my side .he gives unconditional love .
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 8-Oct-2019 00:26 Message #4756813
Brought this back to the top to ask another question.
What's your opinion on dog fighting and would you notify the authorities if you suspected a fight was being held and you knew where, or do you think you would be too afraid to?
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 8-Oct-2019 05:21 Message #4756819
I would like to think I would notify the authorities. Not sure where the 'afraid to' comes in though, how would the organisers know who had reported them?
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 8-Oct-2019 06:30 Message #4756826
What's your opinion on dog fighting

It disgusts me in every possible way and makes me extremely angry. I detest those who do this with animals and have reported local dog fight venues twice on one occasion leading to the fight being cancelled and on the other with several men arrested.
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 8-Oct-2019 08:28 Message #4756829
It disgusts me too HotOrWot.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 8-Oct-2019 10:18 Message #4756838
Fair question Nigel. The afraid to came in from my boating days. I moored up near some other boats just outside Leeds one time, one of the existing boaters was telling me how he had reported his suspicions of a dog fighting venue to police and the RSPCA, not long after his own dog vanished, believed stolen and bits of animals started turning up on or very near his boat, although he moved from that place the experience unnerved him and he became afraid for his family. I've only had the one experience but being a continuous cruiser and my dog, when he was alive, coming everywhere with me including work, meant I didn't have the same pressures, though one man did threaten to put my head in the propellor whilst it was turning.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 8-Oct-2019 11:30 Message #4756848
I agree with HotorWot.

I agonise what I can do about any animal I see in distress. I even tried to catch a wild rabbit on route to holiday as it was flipping all over the place with what I think were really bad infestation of ear mites on its shrivelled right ear. That was 6 years ago and it still haunts me.

Yesterday I tried to "rescue" a stray dog that was running on the road. It turned out it's elderly owner was not far away. The dog was overfed, but lots of fur missing like when flea ridden. I took pictures and reported to dog warden but doubt they can do anything.
Female
Topaz53  Female  Northamptonshire 8-Oct-2019 12:19 Message #4756853
It saddens me that anyone could consider that harming any animal emotionally or physically is acceptable.
Animals have the same needs as humans and should be treated as such.
I have a rescue cat. She is 16 now , but originally found heavily pregnant, flea ridden and malnourished. Most of the rescued cats with her were beyond help and had to be put down.
Animals give SO much.
It is the reason most people keep going in life, to have a companion to love and care for.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »