Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Dangerous driver.

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 2-Oct-2019 12:18 Message #4755666
This morning I was in a taxi when a small car driven by a very old lady pulled out in front of us. We then followed behind her as she straddled the central white line on a few occasions. Eventually she turned left at a roundabout clipping the kerb.

In my opinion and that of the taxi driver she was a danger on the roads but she was not a careless or reckless driver but one struggling to keep driving as she became less capable of doing so. This is only my opinion of course.

What would you do?

Report her to police or DVLA?
Forget all about it?
Something else?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 2-Oct-2019 12:39 Message #4755670
by the sound of it she has poor spatial judgement/awareness and may have defective eyesight, usual things associated with the aging process.

unless any family step in to persuade her to stop driving it may be an accident she causes that puts a stop to her driving.

an accident looking for somewhere to happen ?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 2-Oct-2019 13:10 Message #4755673
So long as she does not kill or maim someone else before she discovers that she's no longer fit to drive.

Maybe she was on her mobile phone, sexting.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 2-Oct-2019 13:20 Message #4755674
You could 101 it, if you have her car reg and let them pass it on to be dealt with it as they see fit.
But the fact is many drivers are just dangerous on the roads. Full stop. Is it any different to drivers who are careless or reckless.
I was out driving yesterday and was indicating to overtake a bus pulling in to a bus stop & another one already stopped when someone decided to overtake me and the car behind and the buses on the wrong side of a pedestrian bollard refuge !!.
I also lost count of the number of drivers I saw on their mobiles, and don't get me started on bl00dy Uber drivers who either crawl along or suddenly stop or changing direction without any indication as they don't have a clue where they are or where they're going.
As I said it's dangerous out there and you need eyes up yer bum even more these days.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 2-Oct-2019 13:30 Message #4755675
Eyes up your bum is an intriguing concept.
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 2-Oct-2019 14:12 Message #4755686
i think it's worth reporting any motorist driving dangerously or if suspected of drink driving. If the police get several reports on the same motorist it might make a difference.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 2-Oct-2019 14:25 Message #4755690
It’s too late if she knocks someone over, for her own good and everyone else’s she needs reporting.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 2-Oct-2019 15:01 Message #4755697
I reported a parent who came to the school with her children and she smelt of booze even at 9am. In the afternoons she was struggling to drive. The police arrested her and she lost her licence. I feel better watching her kids come to school in another car with their friends.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 2-Oct-2019 16:44 Message #4755716
The right thing to do Raach. Reporting isn't pleasant but has to be done when children's lives are at stake.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 2-Oct-2019 17:51 Message #4755725
I agree with above but also some "courteous" drivers are dangerous.
Giving way when they have right of way puts drivers under pressure to trust them. It also creates impatience with drivers behind them.

There's a difference in leaving a gap to allow someone to turn out left in front, but a lady just now stopped next to a junction to wave a learner to turn right across her. The problem was, the car coming out of the junction didn't know if she stopped for him.
I just waited behind the learner to turn right but I was hoping she didn't wait for me as well.

I've seen a few near misses, drivers pulling out because they wrongly assume there's no traffic coming the other way.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Oct-2019 18:55 Message #4755734
You did right Raach, hopefully the parent involved has had an oportunity to admit she haas a problem and get help.

I think it might of ben wise to do as someone else suggested, take her reg No. and report her, living where you do where public transports so easy and available makes it even less excusable to drive when you're no longer able to, not like round here where public transport is almost non existant in many areas.

People who stop to let you across the road arn't as considerate as they lie to think, especially when they do it on a road with two lanes of traffic both going in the same direction, you need both lanes to be clear so as you can cross and I've had drivers get cross because I've refused their act of "kindness", an act that could of got me killed if I'd have taken it up. I always seem to get people who have to let everyone out in front of us when I'm in a hurry, usually when I need the loo, what puts the tin lid on it is that the level crossing gates come down and I would of been home if they wern't practising their daily act of random kindness.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 2-Oct-2019 21:10 Message #4755756
Interesting question, and I haven't a clue what I'd do, probably nothing due to the likelihood the police wouldn't have the resources to follow it up. Added to that, I've done my share of mad things before I learned to slow down and think more of others, culminating in my stopping driving when I realised I spent more time watching the world go by than watching the road.
Maybe your example CHIOG, needs to realise for themself what they're doing?
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 3-Oct-2019 19:01 Message #4755973
If you suspect any driver of being a danger then you owe it to all the other motorists and pedestrians to report them to the police.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 3-Oct-2019 20:54 Message #4756001
What did you do Chiog?

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 3-Oct-2019 22:11 Message #4756019
Neros. I rang 101 and reported her driving. You tell she was finding it difficult to drive and I don’t think she saw our car even as we braked hard to miss her. I felt bad reporting it but felt it was the only moral course of action.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 3-Oct-2019 22:35 Message #4756027
Well done Chiog.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 3-Oct-2019 23:01 Message #4756035
Its a tough one Chiog, she might have just had a bad day.
She might need the car for her job, to support her family.
She may lose her car, and not be able to feed her family.
Then the lady would have to visit Foodbank Larry, just to get some food.

And she will have to walk there!
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 3-Oct-2019 23:03 Message #4756038
NotHermit. That would only happen if she needed to be taken off the road. I would have felt bad as Chiog did but you have to think of others. The others could be your own loved ones.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 3-Oct-2019 23:08 Message #4756041
Do you think the police will go and see her?
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 3-Oct-2019 23:17 Message #4756045
I was just joking Neros.
I do not think the police will visit the lady.
They tend to be very busy nowadays, and over worked.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 4-Oct-2019 10:18 Message #4756108
Neros. I rang 101 and reported her driving. You tell she was finding it difficult to drive and I don’t think she saw our car even as we braked hard to miss her. I felt bad reporting it but felt it was the only moral course of action.

The correct course of action.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 10-Oct-2019 06:27 Message #4757187
Reporting her is the right thing to do. Doing nothing could leave her to have a fatal accident. We should all feel duty bound to report dangers and offences as and when we see them.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »