Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Architecture

interesting?

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 29-Sep-2019 01:18 Message #4754891
Can you tell which county you're in by the architecture? At a recent meeting in another town to mine I mentioned to someone how, in my town, there were a lot of very nice large houses and dark, dingy mills whereas in the town where the meeting was there were a lot of imposing, architecturaly beautiful mills and public buildings and lots of plain, terraced houses.
Coming back from Mid Wales, where the houses are shorter terraces, smaller frontages and different brick to up here, through Shropshire where there were a lot of 'biscuit tin' buildings and through Manchester back into Yorkshire there were distinct differences in the buildings.
Maybe I need to learn a bit about it?
Do things like that interest you?
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 29-Sep-2019 07:38 Message #4754894
I find architecture interesting, especially churches and cathedrals but have no knowledge which is a shame. I do recognise some of Brunel’s tunnels and bridges.
Some places that jump to mind. London has every type of building and architecture from medieval to modern.
The market towns such as Thame are recognisable and many still have the areas which were livestock markets. Sandwich in Kent has a lot of very old buildings where the upper floor is wider than the ground floor and hangs over the street.
Victorian housing along the coast with tall rooms are some of my favourites.
The old miners housing around Derbyshire I find interesting too.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 29-Sep-2019 08:53 Message #4754903
I live in a very old market town. They are always discovering relics from Anglo Saxons or Romans. We had a big fire which destroyed much of the town so the present architecture is often Georgian.
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 29-Sep-2019 10:21 Message #4754917
I like anything to do with architecture be it roofs (material and pitch), windows, doorways, age of buildings, churches, chimneys, corbels, gargoyles fancy brickwork etc etc. It's got to the point when a friend I go on holiday with was asked what we do when away, she said 'Oh I go shopping and Poppy goes to look at chimneys'. It's actually not quite as bad as that but I do prefer to look at the buildings, landscapes and history rather than the 'same old, same old' shops.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 29-Sep-2019 10:45 Message #4754922
Great question Terry,

I'm not greatly travelled abroad, just Denmark a long time ago, and about 4 visits to France but I found some French buildings obviously hold a different character than UK. But then more recently, thinking about small villages like Looe, or Eyam, are amazingly similar. The thing I find intriguing is how almost every French village manages to have a hairdressers, even more than a small grocers. I love all the shutters on the cottages, and I like the tendency for properties to look worn, a bit "shabby chic" but when inside, all the furnishings seem somehow tasteful and functional with a bit of quaint.

As for the big architectural buildings, it is also a newish venture for me. My partner likes the gargoyles that have so much character on many both here in UK and abroad, but then there is the elegance of the opera house in Bordeaux on my one and only venture abroad on my own, first time on a plane, and a week in a hostel with "Languages Abroad".
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/AttractionReview-g187079-d219111-Reviews-GrandTheatre-BordeauxGirondeNouvelle_Aquitaine.html
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 29-Sep-2019 11:13 Message #4754928
I'm not greatly travelled, but I always know when I'm looking at a foreign house when I switch on the TV, theres just something about the layout and the materials used. We tend to have old stone cottages and farm houses and bungalows made from blocks covered with pebbledash, its not hugely inspiring, there are a few old fishiing villages and ports that are different, but again similar to many others in places like Cornwall and Scotland.

Architcture does interest me, I don't like this modern steel and glass stuff or the trend for roofs that look like circus tents. I do love English Perpendicular churches and cathederals, the soaring arches and rosettes on the ceilings, but I don't think I would of like it when new and painted with gaudy colours and biblical scenes.

I would love to build my own house to my own design, or rather tell an architect what I want and get a builder to do it, I'm a bit old and knackered to be building myself, although I'd probably want to have a go at stuff, like plastering, (which is so much easier than icing a cake).

I used to collect bricks, everywhere I went I'd try and find a local brick, usually stamped with the name of the local brick works, they were all different colours and sizes, I feel they're an important part of our industrial heritage thats becoming lost. I had to give it up though because it got to heavy to carry around with the amount of moving house I was doing.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 29-Sep-2019 14:24 Message #4754983
I often sit in church looking up at the building and marvelling at how the construction was built and the skills of the stone masons.
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside 29-Sep-2019 15:47 Message #4755009
In the beautiful village that one currently is fortunate enough to live in, there is the remains of a 15th century church. A period of unrest saw it surveying the carnage that surrounded it without it being engulfed with that conflict. Rather reassuring, one ponders.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 29-Sep-2019 20:16 Message #4755056
I have an eye for viaducts and aqueducts. From Roman times to today.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 29-Sep-2019 20:57 Message #4755060
TW,

Have you been on the one at Llangollen in a canal boat?
It's breath-taking and feels very precarious.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 29-Sep-2019 21:46 Message #4755064
Liverpool has an archetictural society that does tours, I,ve been on one and it was fascinating,,,,,,,,,,loved it...need to do another..
they also do Liverpool history tours, did one of them, but the guide wasn't that good. it does depend on your tour guide.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 29-Sep-2019 22:14 Message #4755083
JustLyn. No I haven’t but I’ve seen photos and it looks impressive. I went on a canal boat over one near Cosgrove and it is a strange feeling.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 29-Sep-2019 22:19 Message #4755086
When I lived on the boat I wanted to do the Anderton Boat lift and hoped they'd get it renovated in time, they didn't, but that I can imagine will also be an enjoyable experience.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 30-Sep-2019 06:41 Message #4755122
Canal boat life seems free and romantic but maybe that’s not the reality.

Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 30-Sep-2019 10:14 Message #4755132
Terry, was it you I met at two meets?

1. Could you be the guy who had to leave early, from a pub meet in Chorley, because that guy lived on a canal boat and had to set off 2 hours before school started the next morning to take his grandkids to school on a canal boat!

2. Interesting conversation on a walk partly along the Macclesfield canal on a treasure hunt with my friend Amethyst who organised it?
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 30-Sep-2019 21:41 Message #4755270
I like modern architecture. Some unusual designs especially those using a lot of glass.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 30-Sep-2019 22:01 Message #4755284
I like modern architecture. Some unusual designs especially those using a lot of glass.

I like old and new.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 30-Sep-2019 22:42 Message #4755302
The Macclesfield canal sounds familiar, not sure about the leaving early one...may have been. I do recall meeting your good self and others, a nice day.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 1-Oct-2019 06:21 Message #4755329
Canal tunnels can be interesting structures.
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 1-Oct-2019 15:43 Message #4755420
Architecture and all forms of artistic talent are things I appreciate.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 1-Oct-2019 19:15 Message #4755472
I love intetesting old architecture. I live in a town that has some very interesting buildings and houses. Many were were built by Courtaulds, who was a reknowned builder. Courtaulds woolen mill was once here. The houses I really like are either semi's, or a trio, having a centre terraced house. They were built in the 1920's and look very olde worldy, with tiny square windows and have interesting names, such as 'Sense and Sensibility' and 'Pride and Predudice' and that kind of thing.
But you can tell the area by the buildings. Devon and Cornwall will have little fisherman's cottages, whereas in the Cotswolds thy are all Cotswold stone. In other countries they also have their own unique appeal, Spanish villa's etc. to the colourful tin roofs in Australia.
Lyn I have been on a canal boat at Llangollen. It seemed really strange going along on a narrow channel of water and looking down at the road far below. i have also seen the Anderton Lift in operation but not been up or down it. It looked very unusual.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 1-Oct-2019 19:46 Message #4755492
Sea,

Anderton Boat Lift is one of my semi-regular places as it is situated near a lovely country park where I sometimes take my daughter's dogs.

Yes, it is a magnificent piece of mechanics, but the irony, when we booked on a trip to include it, it had broken down for the first time ever, since they had modernised it to include electronics.

You might already know of Port Sunlight based on Lord Lever's production of soap where he built a most beautiful estate for his employees. I think to live in it, is a bit like applying to live in a National Trust property. They sound similar to the Courtaulds but in this case deep red brick. It's amazing how far Lord Lever's influences went in other places.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 1-Oct-2019 20:06 Message #4755502
Hi Lyn,

That's a shame that you didn't get to go on the Anderton Boat Lift. It was amazing to watch. And yes I do know of Port Sunlight and have been there. It did look like Lord Lever really looked after his workers, as I found it a very unique place; nicely set out with wide grass verges etc. There was an art exhibition on in a building there at the time. I actually saw quite a few places in the area, as I met a nice guy from Birkenhead from this site. We did meet up a few times but he is very rarely in this country. So, I did get to see lots of nice places, including exploring Chester.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 1-Oct-2019 20:24 Message #4755507
I think you'll mean Lady Lever Art Gallery.
https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/ladylever/

I've been there a few times, good little café too.

Chester, now that's an era.
I walked round the walls last year with my eldest son. It's only 35 miles from me so go there occasionally. I cycled there from Parkgate, Wiiral but the bridge had been blocked off at the River Dee.
One of the towers used to border on the river estuary but land has taken over in a relatively short time, in that spot anyway.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 2-Oct-2019 05:50 Message #4755619
We are a country blessed with interesting architecture and structures.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »