Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Are we the forum subjects we want?

Or do the political threads take over?

1 2 3 4 Next >  Last >> 

Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 25-Sep-2019 22:25 Message #4754290
Maybe it’s just me. I find we often have a happy and jovial atmosphere on the threads and then along will come a poster who only posts on political threads and usually in an aggressive way and before long all the other subjects have disappeared and a handful of posters dominate the forum with political threads full of insults and nastiness.
I have no objection to discussing political matters but that never happens.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 25-Sep-2019 22:27 Message #4754291
Blimey NoSaint I don’t think anyone will disagree with you on that one.

Maybe, just maybe, a troll might disagree.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 25-Sep-2019 22:36 Message #4754295
I think given the circumstances at present, it's not surprising. Also, if some of us have personal lives affected by political decisions, it hard to ignore it. It's a bit like driving from Truro to Penzance where every road seems to go to Gweek.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 25-Sep-2019 22:44 Message #4754297
It’s not just you NoSaint. There can be no excuses for the abominable behaviour on the forum and I hardly bother posting any more. It’s got nothing to do with politics but everything to do with a few posters hell bent on seeing their own posts dominating and trying to look smart by belittling others.
I have tried engaging in conversations. I have tried to relate my experiences. In almost every instance along comes a troll and insults me or tries to belittle me. It’s frustrating when you know they would never do it to your face.
Insults. Racist remarks. Homophobic jibes. Nasty vindictiveness.

There are no excuses
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 25-Sep-2019 23:10 Message #4754302
Sometimes there is a pleasant flurry of interesting threads but they are soon pushed off the screens.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 25-Sep-2019 23:12 Message #4754303
I used to try and start some lighthearted threads....and although I'm not very good at keeping a conversation going myself....it seems that nobody else wants to keep any lighthearted ones going either....so they fizzle away after a couple of posts...

I started one a few days ago....when I last checked, it had 4 posts....and that's a lot...some don't even get that...

I don't know what people want.....The conflict ones are the liveliest by far....Sometimes really nasty....but lively....

It seems we can't have it all ways.....I don't really know what the answer is...

I've sometimes been told to go elsewhere.....perhaps that is the answer after all...
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 25-Sep-2019 23:16 Message #4754304
It’s like a pub full of chatting drinkers are having a happy time when a couple of troublemakers start fighting. The fight takes over the room and all those having a pleasant chat vacate the building.
Lively but not very nice.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 25-Sep-2019 23:32 Message #4754305
This actually made me smile. I agree with the sentiment, but I see hardly any of the hoohas now and it only took 3 or 4 clicks of a button to achieve that.

I have a meme that keeps popping up on my FB. It says, the less that you react to negativity, the more peaceful your life will be. I keep trying to make sure that I follow that, although it does take a lot of self discipline to not get sucked in. Perhaps the fact that I see it so often, the universe is providing me with a little synchronicity. :)
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 26-Sep-2019 07:32 Message #4754314
It’s quite obvious that we don’t get the threads we want. It seems that more and more posters are blocking those who trawl (I said trawl not troll) the political threads trying to have the last word which has brought relief to many.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 26-Sep-2019 08:14 Message #4754323
The site should employ Chiog to put up a post of the day lol.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 26-Sep-2019 10:39 Message #4754337
Its simple, stop feeding them, block them, it's an abuse of any freedom of speech that these people go on about to act the way they do, because they make sure the only speech is thiers and on subjects they choose, which are always the most divisive. If you choose to keep on engaging with those who's sole aim seems to be to ruin things for other people, then don't complain about them coming back for more.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 26-Sep-2019 10:42 Message #4754341
Good advice wonderoushen and with the lack of any admin it is the only logical course of action. it is a pity that some of the regular posters have been driven away as they may never come back and it gives those causing the disruption fewer to combat.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 26-Sep-2019 11:09 Message #4754344
It's rather disappointing that, at least in my case, the blocking system isn't working properly.
Double-blocking, which is my preferred option, isn't working as has been proved by people I have blocked, adding to threads I have started.
Of course, we know you can read stuff "offline" but if you are double-blocked you shouldn't be able to see the person that has blocked you once you sign in and logically shouldn't be able to contribute to their threads.
Ho hum, I suppose when posters clearly have 2 or 3 profiles, it's a bit much to expect this leaky bucket of a site to work properly...
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 26-Sep-2019 12:51 Message #4754357
Left and right will never agree so it’s a waste of time, it’s just people gaining brownie points saying look how clever I am , fools rush in where wise men fear to tread spring to mind, and yes I’m as guilty as the next man.

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 26-Sep-2019 14:39 Message #4754368
One persons blockage is another persons unblockage ( or some such saying )

I know of at least 3 people who have blocked me recently....they obviously felt the need to do so, and it is no loss to me or them or the site in general...I sometimes deserve a blockage, as I can fire back at people who have a go at me...occasionally I start things, but in my opinion, I often just retaliate...I have certainly had plenty of abuse to retaliate to...often behind the scenes...but I have then made it public, and got slaughtered for it...

One of the people who has blocked me, seems to like the ones that the majority are referring to as trolls....each to their own....she obviously sees things a different way....although I often find her views totally astonishing....gobsmackingly so...
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 26-Sep-2019 16:55 Message #4754391
I wonder if one of the difficulties is the site, it's difficult to have a discussion because of the time differences in posting, someone makes a point, by the time half a dozen people have managed to digest and think of a response the discussion has changed - or totally gone out of the window.

That said, there does seem to be a fair number of people just like a good old argument and as always use the excuse 'I'm just sticking up for myself' or 'just replying to'. I think discussion is not in many people's vocabulary, though they might like to think it is.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 26-Sep-2019 17:13 Message #4754397
I don't think that all the blame can be laid on the Trolls of this world. Some posters have very obvious political leanings to the point of being hell bent on ramming their views home to the detriment of some threads rather than taking on board that others may have a point that may not have occurred to them. Then there's the willy-wagglers...
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 26-Sep-2019 18:04 Message #4754406
I totally agree NoSaint and it is rreally annoying when one poster, who seems to post under sevetal aliases turns every thread into a political one, to rant and talk down to others, in an extremely nasty, derogatory way. And unbeleivably some people actually encourage the troll(s). They do spoil many interesting subjects. Whoever the troll or trolls are, they seem absolutely obsessed with politics. Really surprised they are not standing as MP somewhere. Perhaps 'The monster raving looney party' could do with their support? I am sure if I started a thread on what your favourite cheese maybe, it would turn into a thread on food mountains, eu milk subsidies, the plight of farmers and everything being the governments fault etc., when all I really wanted to know was, 'Do you prefer, cheddar, wensleydale or brie?'
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 26-Sep-2019 20:15 Message #4754435
loads of people posting on this thread ...lol why doesn't everyone on this thread put one thread a day up?...the site is yours, people power can work lol
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 26-Sep-2019 20:15 Message #4754436
Sea Female Essex 26-Sep-2019 18:04 new Message #4754406
I totally agree NoSaint and it is rreally annoying when one poster, who seems to post under sevetal aliases turns every thread into a political one, to rant and talk down to others, in an extremely nasty, derogatory way. And unbeleivably some people actually encourage the troll(s). They do spoil many interesting subjects. Whoever the troll or trolls are, they seem absolutely obsessed with politics. Really surprised they are not standing as MP somewhere. Perhaps 'The monster raving looney party' could do with their support? I am sure if I started a thread on what your favourite cheese maybe, it would turn into a thread on food mountains, eu milk subsidies, the plight of farmers and everything being the governments fault etc., when all I really wanted to know was, 'Do you prefer, cheddar, wensleydale or brie?'

Spot on.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 26-Sep-2019 20:55 Message #4754445
I've got a question. What is the female equivalent of a willy-waggler? I am sure there must be one.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 26-Sep-2019 20:56 Message #4754447
eurostar Female Merseyside 26-Sep-2019 20:15 new Message #4754435
loads of people posting on this thread ...lol why doesn't everyone on this thread put one thread a day up?...the site is yours, people power can work lol.

Didn't one of the trolls try to ban the posting of too many unimportant threads as they interfered with his important ones lol.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 26-Sep-2019 21:01 Message #4754449
oh goodness I have no idea, I block and am selective about what threads I read..lol
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 26-Sep-2019 21:06 Message #4754452
The site should employ Chiog to put up a post of the day lol.

why doesn't everyone on this thread put one thread a day up?...the site is yours

That would be quite a good number of threads each day and might revitalise the forum.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 26-Sep-2019 21:51 Message #4754462
You are right Mr Quiet one of the trolls did say just that.

G2BW. Your opening post

......who is hampering, marginalizing and truncating debate on important subjects.

To guard against this sabotaging, the present limit of
FIVE new topics per person per 24 hours
should be reduced to
TWO new topics per member per 24 hours.

Is that not a desire to limit the number of posts from those you feel are posting unimportant messages?

Are you not saying that your believe the unimportant subjects are hampering and marginalizing your more important subjects?

That was the posting.

1 2 3 4 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »