Conversation Religion and Spirituality
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Truth

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 16-Sep-2019 19:29 Message #4752917
People don't realise how hard it is to speak the truth. To a world full of people who don't realise they're living a lie.
Male
Goody2shoes  Male  Nottinghamshire 16-Sep-2019 19:42 Message #4752921
You living a lie Flo Jo.

Tell us, we can help you, what is bothering you?
Male
Goody2shoes  Male  Nottinghamshire 16-Sep-2019 19:44 Message #4752922
You been dumped again?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 16-Sep-2019 19:44 Message #4752923
I remember having a conversation with my younger son, about the difference between a lie and a misunderstanding. Also, how does anyone really know "the truth" in their own world?

I think it can be frustrating to see people living lives that might appear a lie to someone else, if we could perhaps make something better for them by living life a different way, but people can only follow their own paths unless they seek a reason to change?

One example in my job is seeing people who hold onto abnormal grief over a death. Not that grief itself is abnormal, but for example, it is normal to lose a parent before our children, but I have met a couple of people who wreck their own lives by say, a 50 year old man giving up on life because of the loss of his mother. That is kind of living a lie. How much happier they could be if they could lift themselves out of the pit they can fall into?
Male
Goody2shoes  Male  Nottinghamshire 16-Sep-2019 19:51 Message #4752925
Very true just Lynn, but I hope Flo's troubles are less serious.
Maybe he is reading a dear WTF letter?

Or he could be trying to introduce a new political thread, with Corbyn in it.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 16-Sep-2019 19:53 Message #4752926
Witheflow. It’s very sad if you feel you cannot find the truth and you are living a lie. It must be very unsettling but as you say you are far from being alone.
Female
Clocky  Female  the West Midlands 16-Sep-2019 20:41 Message #4752948
It's easier to fool a person than it is to convince them they've been fooled!
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 16-Sep-2019 20:48 Message #4752954
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”

? Mark Twain
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 16-Sep-2019 20:51 Message #4752957
Clocky already said that. Why do you keep repeating things?
Male
Goody2shoes  Male  Nottinghamshire 16-Sep-2019 21:00 Message #4752962
Did Mark Twain have gout?
I have not seen it mentioned anywhere.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 16-Sep-2019 22:39 Message #4752974
the image thief lives a lie by its actions.
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 17-Sep-2019 13:34 Message #4753028
Thank you for your opinion Andromeda. Unfortunately, you misinterpreted my point. The statement i asked was a rhetorical one. Used for persuasive effect. Sadly in this day and age, truth isn't valued & Lies appear normalised. On a personal level, which you appeared to confuse it with. I believe that the truth is the goal of our development in life. Sifting through the lies and manipulation we are fed by the media and politicians, is more needed now than ever. The truth shall set you free!
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 17-Sep-2019 13:38 Message #4753029
the image thief lives a lie by its actions.

Is that living the lie fosy?
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 17-Sep-2019 13:39 Message #4753030
Clocky, very good quote and in comparison with my rhetorical statement. There has been ongoing concern over the prevalence of extreme right wing propaganda in our political discourse over the years. How it has been driving voters, how it has even been driving policy, with any facts to the contrary be damned. And it's now to the point where its manufacture has broken fully out of the realm of right wing media and is being perpetrated by the Conservative party and it's affiliations UKIP etc, etc directly. Real news is fake news, fake news is real news, and our democracy is in peril.

Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 17-Sep-2019 13:42 Message #4753032
extreme right wing propaganda

Not forgetting the much more prevalent left wing propaganda.

Real news is fake news, fake news is real news, and our democracy is in peril.

This is why Corbyn and the extreme left liars and fantasists must never gain control.
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 17-Sep-2019 13:53 Message #4753035
Last but far from least. JustLyn. Your relationship with your youngest son appears a beautiful and learned interaction. My heart warms knowing people like you and your family exist.

I agree, what is a lie? and who are we to force and tell people their belief and acceptance of a way, is wrong. My own experience of trying to help lead a horse to water is, the ego always gets in the way and the ego doesn't like being wrong. So tread carefully and plant seeds. Or if all else fails, work with them on Maslows hierarchy of need. Especially in a social care setting.

The cycle of grief, can be very different to people who experience loss. Denial is one stage that can take some working through. My experience of those locked into the denial stage of bereavement, is that triggering good memories and focusing on the positive times they had, can help them move out of that hole. But in a strict work system, with time expectations and budgets to adhere to, you can be expecting to see that change too soon.
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 17-Sep-2019 13:55 Message #4753037
MrQuiet Sex icon 17-Sep-2019 13:42
extreme right wing propaganda

Not forgetting the much more prevalent left wing propaganda.

Real news is fake news, fake news is real news, and our democracy is in peril.

This is why Corbyn and the extreme left liars and fantasists must never gain control.

All the left right, left right, fake not fake, fake not fake. It all down to the left wing and right wing extremists making everyone else suffer.
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 17-Sep-2019 13:55 Message #4753038
I refuse to respond to the trolls, flossy, mrqueet and goody2choo. Peace and love.
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 17-Sep-2019 13:57 Message #4753039
Not just left right, left right but now the trolls are accusing the cabal? Or is the canal accusing the trolls?
Extremists both.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 17-Sep-2019 16:05 Message #4753050
I am extremely concerned about poverty today.

I am extremely unhappy by daughter already has to angst about her benefit support might be stopped on what are blatant lies written by an assessor conforming to the extremes of austerity by imposed by Cameron, Osborne, then May.

I wonder, what is extreme?
If one is living the consequences of lies of others, then we need an extreme solution to pull the opposite way to our extreme government and leaders since Blair, who was the thin end of the wedge.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 17-Sep-2019 16:18 Message #4753054
Cautious1954 Female Berkshire 17-Sep-2019 13:57 new Message #4753039
Not just left right, left right but now the trolls are accusing the cabal? Or is the canal accusing the trolls?
Extremists both.

That is the worry Cautious. As Lyn says we are concerned about poverty and the extremes of Labour and Tory making things worse for those who are disadvantaged. The Tories we can see with austerity how it affects us but I'm more concerned with the conniving and malicious behaviour of Corbyn and his terrorist loving communist cronies.

We don't need these self satisfying extremists doing whatever they want so they can slap themselves on the back We need honest politicians who care and are willing to do something about it.
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 17-Sep-2019 16:53 Message #4753058
Lyn. I know this is probably the wrong place to discuss your daughters struggles with the DWP outsourced assessment programe. But, i imagine your daughter is applying or reapplying for PIPS? If so, then she is being made to stress and prove her criteria to a cruel system, brought in by the tory administration. It's designed to hurt the vulnerable and disabled. Sadly many people have taken their lives, whilst appealing and waiting in this system. It is extreme to see a Government impose this on the vulnerable members of society. So extreme reaction is perfectly called for when handling it and fighting it.

My advice whilst being degraded by the DWP is; Appeal! Appeal! and take it all the way to the Independent tribunal stage. 90% of cases are revoked at this stage. It's a game that the system uses on people. Pushing them all the way and hoping many give up due to fear and stress and illness. But the independent tribunal regularly overthrow the decisions.
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 17-Sep-2019 18:09 Message #4753059
This is not the right place to be discussing the private and intimate details of someonet who isn’t even here and it makes me feel uncomfortable. Private messaging would be more suitable. I hope that is not deemed an unpleasant statement as it wasn’t meant to be.
Male
Goody2shoes  Male  Nottinghamshire 17-Sep-2019 21:45 Message #4753097
WTF Do you have gout?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 19-Sep-2019 21:23 Message #4753357
Mr Quiet,

I am unconcerned about what people here think are extremes of Labour because in my view, the manifesto isn't extreme Left.

The point I am sure you knew I was making is what we have had so far, since Cameron is extreme. The consequences have been extreme and far more concerning than the twisted version of accusing Corbyn of being the terrorist he clearly is not.

Blair, on the other hand, was not extreme, just disappointing in not keeping Labour the it's principles. So when Corbyn wants to bring back Labour to those principles, people who liked "New Labour" think Corbyn is extreme.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »