Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Is there anybody out there

Well maybe

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Sep-2019 19:03 Message #4752092
Astronomers have found a planet 650 million million miles from us that looks possible, is has water vapour and is the right distance from its star, its twice the size of earth and its temperature ranges from 0-40.C. Now we've just got to work out how to get there! Its possible that the reason we've no actual recorded alien visits is because its just not possible to travel those vast distances, but wouldn't it be good is a warp drive or similar was discovered?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 11-Sep-2019 19:17 Message #4752095
When it gets ridiculous miles away, then they're not coming here...and we're not going there...

Perhaps we could meet halfway though....but they'd better turn up....Going all that way and they stand you up...

We'd need to send someone to sort them out if that happened...Bruce Willis or whoever is good at that sort of thing nowadays...
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 11-Sep-2019 19:33 Message #4752102
Startrek has a reputation for being pretty good at things being imagined that later come to fruition, or at least a pathway to what could be.

Accepting diversity
Black leaders
Androids
Integrated human enhancing technology (The Borg)

Then maybe:
Moneyless society
Producing food from alternative means.
Cloaking

Maybe wormhole travel
Warp drive
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 13-Sep-2019 08:50 Message #4752335
If I was placing a bet I would say there is definitely other life in the universe and there is no reason why they couldn’t be more intelligent than us although I tend to think more along the lines of tough insects.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 13-Sep-2019 09:00 Message #4752339
Yeah but we’ve got Hard Varks. ( Aardvarks)
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 13-Sep-2019 09:06 Message #4752341
I often think that if there's going to be any life out there...then it's likely to be something that we can't even imagine....Nothing like any of the film aliens or anything....just something we can't comprehend...

Anywhere where there's no water for instance....then what would their life look like...and would we be able to understand any of it...or even see it..or hear it....
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 13-Sep-2019 09:10 Message #4752343
There is life out there, but not as we know it. In space nobody hears you scream.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 13-Sep-2019 10:41 Message #4752360
Microbial life is probably most likely, but there could well be other intelligent beings out there, I wonder if we'll ever be able to talk to them, let alone meet them?
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 14-Sep-2019 21:59 Message #4752593
I think there is a life form much more intelligent than us but we are so insignificant they don’t even bother to watch us.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 15-Sep-2019 08:57 Message #4752658
Some think and believe they have evidence we are being watched.

I wish I could recall the title of a fascinating book I once read, not suppose to be fiction, about how several people from different countries, who do not know each other, pre Internet etc. who have reported the same experiences of being abducted, but not in a horrible way as they were released without harm.

The gist of it was there are two groups, one not so good, and the other quite protective and are seeing how we progress on managing our own future, a bit like the Prime Directive in Startrek!

This good group also believed in a God which I found interesting and gave me the most likely rational reason to believe myself there is a God, though I am agnostic.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »