Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Do you live now in a village, town or city

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 10-Sep-2019 21:04 Message #4751951
Similar to the one you grew up in?
Female
LutonLady  Female  Bedfordshire 11-Sep-2019 07:31 Message #4752011
Very different. I was born in a village where there were few cars and almost no crime and definitely no violence. Everyone knew everyone else and most residents had lived there for years and their parents before them. I now live in Luton which is the polar opposite. Busy traffic, a lot of crime and violence and you’re lucky if you see many locals you know well enough to speak to.
I cycle almost everywhere but even that has become dangerous.
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 11-Sep-2019 08:21 Message #4752021
No

I was brought up in a large northern industrial town and now live in a small market town. Although we lived on the outskirts and close to the countryside, I had to take a bus to town and school. Our street was quite a friendly community - but that was just after the war when everyone helped everyone else.

Currently I live close enough to the centre of town to be able to walk everywhere, often along the side of the canal.
Male
flowerpotman  Male  Dumfries and Galloway 11-Sep-2019 08:47 Message #4752026
I have lived in villages al my life and would hate to live in a large town or city, I live now in a small coastal village in South west Scotland. I am involved in lots of activities in the village and we all get on well and very rarely any crime, lots of support for people with illness or infirmity.
In the last year I have had 2 replacement knees and have had great support from friends.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Sep-2019 10:55 Message #4752030
I was born in a town that is now huge, but now live in a village, its a nice village with a sense of community, I used to live in the middle of nowhere which I liked but it was hard work.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-Sep-2019 20:56 Message #4752116
I live in a 'posh' village where no one speaks. You certainly couldnt borrow a cup of sugar round here...lol . I was born on a farm about 20 miles from here and it was quite isolated but at least people were friendly and you did see others now & again. Spent my school years in Ealing London and it was strange - I never really felt right there.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Sep-2019 20:58 Message #4752118
Just a few miles up the road. Have had to recall as many places as I can of where I've lived, so far I'm up to 20 and they range from large cities to small market towns.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 11-Sep-2019 21:05 Message #4752123
I was brought up in a tiny town, Macclesfield, which then grew and grew......I live on the outskirts of Liverpool in a village now, which is similar to what Macclesfield was years ago,friendly and community,,
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 12-Sep-2019 06:37 Message #4752152
I grew up in a small town where privacy was impossible but now enjoy the anonymity of a big city and love it.
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 13-Sep-2019 13:30 Message #4752392
i grew up in a small town but as an adult have lived in London and I love every minute here. I don't drive so even the traffic doesn't bother me. I moved to a London hospital and thought I would hate the big city life so it was a nice surprise.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »