Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Libraries.

I don't want ot hear it. Do you?

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
Sea  Female  Essex 10-Sep-2019 09:58 Message #4751850
I have recently visited a couple of libraries and it seems to me that they are being abused and used as rent free offices. In one, a couple had various documents etc, all over a table and obviously talking business with stategic plans,..... 'look if we did it this way etc. But what if we did this etc. etc. Obviously a very long business meeting.
But a guy in another librsary really took things to another level. A completely silent library apart from him and his extremely lengthy medical phone conversations. Now I always thought that there was patient confidentiality but he was discussing dosages and various medications etc. and increasing the 3 miligrams to 5 miligrams, which was mentioned on several occasions. He made at least four or five phone calls all of considerable length discussing medications etc.. Didn't know if for benefit of patient, or to hasten the demise?. I kept thinking at last, as one phoine call finished but then another. In the end I went over to a couple of librarians, who were listening in behind a bookcase. Both extremely friendly and said that they were just about to say something to him, which they did. He was not too happy and could not understand the problem. Hmmm.... I was also offered a feedback form, which they seemed keen for me to complete. I believe they were a little afraid of interupting a phone call, although I was always led to believe that you just did not make any kind of phone call within a library and you should adhere to complete silence. Maybe libraries should start renting out soundproof rooms, so in these situations, they could say, 'if you wish to continue there is a room at £** per hour. What do you think? Or should people really be allowed to just make private phone conversations in libraries, for all to listen into?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Sep-2019 11:12 Message #4751867
I wish people would be more discrete with mobiles whereever they are, when I used to travel by train quite often, I would head for the quiet carriage where mobiles and headphones were banned. That carriage would always be rammed full of people, who just wanted a bit of peace and quiet and not listen to the shouted conversations of half the carriage, or the iddly biddly sounds emanating from someones headphones, but the ones who transgressed would get really shirty when asked to respect the quiet. I think there are some people who just can't bear not to have constant noise around them and then theres theres like me who find background sounds and noise distracting and irritating. I don't think I'd want to go back to libraries being places where nobody could speak in anything other than a whisper, but a little respect would be good, especially in ther referrence section when people are trying to study.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 10-Sep-2019 13:25 Message #4751892
Ours are not too bad....the local one is small, but pretty busy...The main one is in Gloucester...I am in it now, before I have my hospital appointment...

All of them seem to have noisy things nowadays....Singalongs for the little infant kids and Parents, Poetry groups, other groups...all sorts...

Any disruptive people are either asked to be quiet, or asked to leave ( glad to say, I haven't been asked either of those today...I'm good really.....lol )
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 10-Sep-2019 15:47 Message #4751911
Libraries aren't as quiet as they used to be mostly due to mobile phone use. Many have a computer room and a coffee shop.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 10-Sep-2019 17:25 Message #4751918
The last time I went to my local library I heard a rousing version of ‘ the wheels on the bus ‘ from the young mothers crowd , after the second verse I made a quick exit.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 10-Sep-2019 17:51 Message #4751921
Interesting replies and libraries may not be what they used to be. I believe the point has been missed though that this was confidential information he was divulging and not just the weather. Conversations went on for well over half an hour until stopped and were upstairs where the computers for general use are. People were trying to study quietly. You would have been able to have heard a pin drop if it was not for this man. He had his own laptop open at a page with notes on, that he kept looking at during the conversations. If I had walked over to the bookshelf behind him, I could have easily glanced over and read all his private notes. Everybody could hear every word he was saying. How many here, would be happy, if they had a medical condition, for it to be discussed openly with several in a public library? Just imagine if old mrs, so and so from across the road came up to you and said, your dosage is being increased, I heard doctor what's his name discussing it in the library today, especially if you had not wanted anybody to know and now the whole street knew. I don't know if he was a doctor or what but he knew lots of medical terms etc. and speaking to the pharmacy was mentioned seversal times. I just feel that this is not the sort of thing that should be discussed in public and should be in the privacy of a workplace office or home. Wondered if it would be breaching patient confidentuality rules etc.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 10-Sep-2019 18:02 Message #4751923
The last time I went to my local library I heard a rousing version of ‘ the wheels on the bus ‘ from the young mothers crowd , after the second verse I made a quick exit.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 10-Sep-2019 18:02 Message #4751924
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 10-Sep-2019 18:07 Message #4751925
Wow I’d better stay away from the library.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Sep-2019 18:45 Message #4751931
I think its good to have mum and toddler groups in libraries and reading groups for all ages, not only does it mean libraries are able to show thier benefits to a wider community, but it gets more people through the doors, people who are new to the area, people who are lonely and it gets children reading and into books from the start.

I understand where you're coming from SU and I agree that if this bloke was a doctor then he was in breach of patient confidentiality, I would not be happy if my stuff was discussed so publically. I think part of the problem is people are so used mobiles they don't think about what they're saying and where, who might be listening etc, but so many people over share, their whole lives are online.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Sep-2019 22:10 Message #4751981
Worry not, peeps, at the rate that Local Authorities are ripping into the budgets of anything that isn't classified as an Emergency Service, all libraries will be shut down in the next 6 months or so.

Anyway, following Mr IDS' lead - Who needs libraries when everyone has access to everything via their FFTP/H connexions?
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 10-Sep-2019 22:20 Message #4751985
Trying to ruin another thread Good2BWith?
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-Sep-2019 07:10 Message #4752008
Our library is very good and has Wifi, computers, photocopying and all sorts. The selection of books for all ages is excellent and I have spend hours in there browsing with my daughters especially when they were studying for exams.
The have a knit and natter morning but I haven’t tried that yet.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Sep-2019 20:52 Message #4752113
The main library for our area has four levels and at least two to four rooms on each level so children playing or singing isn't a problem. What I am finding a distraction is people loudly expelling air from different orifices and so called 'academics' or 'professionals' coming in to research their next important thing and talking so everyone in the room knows how intelligent they are.
I'm gradually learning how to ignore extraneous sound in much the same way I ignore extraneous posters on MSE.

Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 11-Sep-2019 21:03 Message #4752121
You need to expel air more noisily and drown the voices of the so called academics.
Male
RumBassiousPenguin  Male  Essex 12-Sep-2019 06:55 Message #4752153
"Excuse me, where are the self-help books?"

"If I told you that, it would defeat the object!"

RbP
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 12-Sep-2019 09:06 Message #4752155
KatieBubbles 10-Sep-2019 22:20
Trying to ruin another thread Good2BWith?

!.0 After your right-wing, complacent, completely uninformed claim, my brief comment is a slice of reality.

2.0 Your pen-name is most pertinent as you live in the bubble reality of Enid Blyton and the comforting familiarity of old Mills and Boon volumes.

3.0 Anything, no matter how true and pertinent, which might possibly offer to ruffle your cotton wool covering will, therefore, be classed as ruinous by you.
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 12-Sep-2019 09:10 Message #4752156
What if the man was a doctor and advising medication and urgent care levels? I find intollerence levels of some people shameful.

Katie bubbles.. Libraries are being cut and Good2Bwiths input is totally relevent. Unless you prefer to close your eyes to reality and like to keep things shallow in your privileged bubble
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 12-Sep-2019 09:11 Message #4752157
I never thought I would become exasperated with these conversations or feel that any one poster deliberately wanted to create a general feel of depression but I think that poster is here now.
Male
Withgoodintent  Male  North Yorkshire 12-Sep-2019 09:14 Message #4752159
Well said Good2BWith. It doesn’t do to ruffle the cabal feathers.
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 12-Sep-2019 09:21 Message #4752162
Neros. A song comes to mind by your response.
"Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup.
They slither wildly as they slip away across the universe.
Pools of sorrow waves of joy, are drifting through my opened mind.
Possessing and caressing me.
Jai Guru Deva, Om. Nothing's gonna change my world. Nothing's gonna change my world"
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 12-Sep-2019 09:43 Message #4752166
Hi W'hen, I actually do not mind mum and toddler groups, story telling, and happy to hum along to 'wheels on the bus' etc. Anything that encourages a love of books is good. And they are usually well away from where people may be quietly reading or studying etc. Easy to avoid the times that they are there if you wish. To me though, on the whole libraries should be quiet places and not turned into rent free office space, with business discussions or discussions on a named patients medical conditions. I would not think to have a phone conversation, or any kind of discussions that would disturb other people. I can remember (quite a few years ago now) being in a library in New Zealand and able to make contact with one of my daughters over the internet. We arranged a Skype call and I immediately went outside the library where I still had a connection and sitting on the path outside, with large grassy area in front, with my back against the building, to chat on Skype. It never entered my head, to stay in the library disturbing others, with my private conversation, especially as it was extremely quiet. But that is just my opinion. It does seem that we are now fast living in an era, where people are happy for everyone to overhear their private conversations and nothing is kept private anymore.
Male
Withgoodintent  Male  North Yorkshire 12-Sep-2019 09:50 Message #4752168
Looks like our library has been taken over by the cabal.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 12-Sep-2019 09:54 Message #4752170
Neros1954 Male Devon 12-Sep-2019 09:11 new Message #4752157
I never thought I would become exasperated with these conversations or feel that any one poster deliberately wanted to create a general feel of depression but I think that poster is here now.

Even those a similar political stance are fed up with the constant trolling.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 12-Sep-2019 17:53 Message #4752217
G2BW. Your pen-name is most pertinent as you live in the bubble reality of Enid Blyton

And 4 minutes later.

Wtf. Unless you prefer to close your eyes to reality and like to keep things shallow in your privileged bubble

Singing from the same hymn sheet again.

It’s a good thing you are not taken seriously except by each other.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »