Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Is creativity something that can be learned?

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 8-Sep-2019 16:01 Message #4751474
Are you born creative?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 8-Sep-2019 16:39 Message #4751489
I think almost all of us are born creative. It needs to be unleashed, rather than learned.
A lot of us have it knocked out of us at an early age, either by upbringing or schooling.
I think the exception might be those people who are so left brain dominant that the creativity is well and truly locked up.
I am quite creative if I can relax enough. Most of my creativity goes into my garden now, but I used to love making things, especially knitting and embroidery.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 8-Sep-2019 18:40 Message #4751512
I think its never so good learned as born with, some people just have it and its amazing...…...I haven't a creative bone in my body so get well jel……...lol
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 8-Sep-2019 20:43 Message #4751535
No, if I am anything to go by. I am not creative. I have never been creative (apart from a bit of bad poetry in my youth). I doubt that I will ever be so. One's mind either works in a creative fashion or it doesn't.
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 9-Sep-2019 01:07 Message #4751585
I'm a great believer in most things being a product of nature AND nurture, though nature decrees our potential and nurture gives us, or gives us not, the opportunity to achieve that.
Similarly with the abstract quality of creativity. I don't think of it in narrowly defined "artistic" terms but as the ability to think and act in an original and individual way. It's the capacity to be a lateral thinker, and that can be learned to some degree. Once people learn this more unconventional way of looking at things, it opens up the mind and we can become more "creative".
Female
Cassis  Female  Cambridgeshire 9-Sep-2019 01:07 Message #4751586
I'm a great believer in most things being a product of nature AND nurture, though nature decrees our potential and nurture gives us, or gives us not, the opportunity to achieve that.
Similarly with the abstract quality of creativity. I don't think of it in narrowly defined "artistic" terms but as the ability to think and act in an original and individual way. It's the capacity to be a lateral thinker, and that can be learned to some degree. Once people learn this more unconventional way of looking at things, it opens up the mind and we can become more "creative".
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 9-Sep-2019 08:40 Message #4751599
There's different levels of creativity...just by writing on here is creating something...so we're all capable of doing that...and often going up a few levels as well...

But I don't regard myself as a really creative person...I can write some basic poetry for instance...but nothing that is worth getting excited about...I also would like to write books, create characters, but I don't think I have the 'stamina' for all that...I haven't tried, but I think it involves a lot of work and time and effort...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Sep-2019 11:17 Message #4751639
I think people who are creative in the sciences and engineering are often overlooked, could that be you Aely? A big part of creativity is being able to bring your ideas out into the world, why is inventing a gadget or a new way of doing some chemical process not creative? Its not seen as an art and I think it should be, I think our world would be a better place if we had more beauty in utilitarian things, why should something useful, like a street light have to be ugly?

I'm creative but struggle to bring my ideas into being, I was able to to do it with hairdressing which I always saw as sculpture, I can do it food and gardening, but other things I really struggle with, I can draw a bath and thats about it. I tried for years with different materials, techniques and I just can't do it, I get tied in knots with my sewing machine, its daft I can make a pattern cut it out and everything, but unless I sew it by hand It dosen't work and with hypermobility in my fingers I can't do that any more. I love needle crafts and fabrics, but I just can't do it anymore, partly I don't have the time, hopefully as winter draw in and gardening stops I'll have time to work on the big picture Mum and I are doing. I keep watching all these home make over shows and think I could do that and I think I could, I could design rooms, extensions, refits, gardens and decoration, I'd get to spend other peoples money too, great!!
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 9-Sep-2019 13:24 Message #4751662
Yes, we are all creative but I think it can be developed further - its called learning. With practice I am sure that we can always improve on ourselves. I am an artist and over the years, with lots of practice my skills developed further.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 9-Sep-2019 13:42 Message #4751665
To try and explain my earlier post better, I think people often confuse creativity with mastering the technique. You can learn to master the techniques of a medium without putting in much creativity and that is generally referred to as craft. To me creativity is doing something in a new way, solving a problem in a novel way, or making something someone hasn't done before, or maybe using traditional materials in a unique way. As I said before, I do think that creativity is innate in all human beings, but many of us don't get the opportunity to develop that side of our personalities. Talented teachers have the skill to help you unlock that creativity.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 10-Sep-2019 19:46 Message #4751944
I went to art classes and tried hard to become good at art but I never seemed to improve. Not creative enough I think.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 10-Sep-2019 22:20 Message #4751986
I think in some ways I am but my grandfather was an artist and illustrator. I have been described as a creative dresser by some. My home has been described as an srts and crafts home. It is ful of paintings, pottery and unusual items. I like anything a little different. My garden is a little creative and contains things such as a stone buddha, a couple of dragons and a few tall wodden toadstools etc. also a mirror on one side wall with a couple of butterflies either side. And if I ever buy a pizza I can never cook it just as it is; I always reach for extra things such as mushrooms, tomatoes, onion, corn etc. to decorate on top and add extra cheese and herbs. To a certain degree creativety could be taught but never in the same way as somebody born with it. Come to think of it somebody may not even want to be taught to be creative in the same way that I am and prefer a clean cut devode of items home etc.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Sep-2019 10:59 Message #4752032
I can't draw or paint either, but I wouldn't say that I'm not creative, just that I'm not an artist with those media.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »