Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Already today....

I started....

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 8-Sep-2019 10:38 Message #4751414
Already today I started writing to two threads, but found that I could be getting too controversial or too confrontational...and so I deleted both....One was quite a few paragraphs....and the confrontational one wasn't that confrontational...it was just aimed a bit at a post I had just read from a bit of a 'pot kettle black' poster...

Should I be happy that I did that....or should I have posted anyway?

Do you sometimes delete your potential postings?
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 8-Sep-2019 10:54 Message #4751415
I do that tumbleweed and quite often I delete after writing quite a few sentences. I start to over-think then delete but rarely start again on the same post.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 8-Sep-2019 10:54 Message #4751416
Being happy or not is absolutely your prerogative. I wouldn't presume. :)

I often delete my half written posts and think, oh what the hell, what's the point :)

People on here are absolutely predictable in their responses, so you can tell where the flak will come from and what form it will take even before you press the button.

There is a big difference between holding a controversial opinion, which all of us are perfectly entitled to hold, and being inflammatory. If you are being inflammatory, then you have to be ready to take what is handed back, and some people can hand it out, but they can't take it.

Watching from the sidelines, what I do find annoying is when someone repeatedly targets another individual with sly digs and provocations. It just makes you look like a snivelly ole git. It's a lot different to being controversial and is inexcusable on a public forum, I think.

Disclaimer: generic you throughout.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 8-Sep-2019 11:02 Message #4751419
To one and all, I didnt know you could delete your own postings, or even edit them. ?
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 8-Sep-2019 11:03 Message #4751421
Michaelt. It has to be done prior to posting. Once you’ve posted then you’re stuck with it.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Sep-2019 11:11 Message #4751424
I often delete posts before posdting them, sometimes I think why bother making an already bad situation worse? I ask myself do I want to take sides in something? Do I really want to share that? WIll anyone else know what I'm talking about?
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 8-Sep-2019 11:27 Message #4751432
Minnie-the-Minx 8-Sep-2019 10:54
It just makes you look like a snivelly ole git.

1.0 Why do you choose age as one of your derogatory descriptors?
Like so many other items of Hate Speech, you have picked on a human phenomenon which is natural and unchangeable. NOT an acquired PoV.

2.0 Whilst you are willing to use Data gleaned from other's personal profiles on this site, you have failed to disclose ANY of yours.
Cog. Dis.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 8-Sep-2019 11:32 Message #4751433
I don’t think the term “ole git” is ageist just a generic term. I also agree with Minnie that when a post is made it’s usually obvious who will respond and how.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 8-Sep-2019 11:36 Message #4751435
I was about to write something and changed my mind and decided to log off. I obviously have too much time on my hands this morning.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 8-Sep-2019 12:02 Message #4751446
On re-reading your thread, I noticed you'd written that you started writing to two threads. Silly sod I am my first reading I thought you were talking about starting threads; communication and understanding are two totally different things; my abilities in both seem to be wearing - perhaps with age or mental incapacity and frequently say something that reads completely differently to what I intended, the good thing is with a variety of responses I see the errors I make.

My opinion is there are many reasons we wish to write responses on here, I frequently (though not always) ignore the ones from posters who deliberately intend to cause nuisance for whatever reason yet accept we all sometimes allow our feelings to dictate our responses.

In short, so long as we're not proposing or planning harm to another, go for it....and it's easy to see the posters who aim to harm others in some way.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 8-Sep-2019 16:19 Message #4751483
@G2BW...considering Minnie was referring to herself more than anyone in particular, does it really matter?
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 8-Sep-2019 17:23 Message #4751497
I frequently (though not always) ignore the ones from posters who deliberately intend to cause nuisance

I wish I had your willpower :)
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 8-Sep-2019 18:46 Message #4751517
very occasionally now I do that too,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,other times I think when this site totally pisses me off I just log out..lol
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 8-Sep-2019 18:50 Message #4751519
It depends how much I want to wind the usual suspects up.
I do sometimes delete things...

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »