Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Private

Parking Charges.

Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 6-Sep-2019 18:56 Message #4751216
Anyone had one of these recently?
I had one, they claimed I had been in the car park 7 hours.
I had actually made 2 visits several hours apart.
All a waste of time, these charges are not enforceable.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 6-Sep-2019 21:23 Message #4751235
That’s a common fault with car parks fitted with ANPR cameras as it’s called double dipping. Please do not make the mistake of thinking these charges are unenforceable because they are and several large PPCs do take court action. The old advice to ignore was before changes in the law allowed the PPCs to take groups of offenders to court on one summons.
First advice is never tell them who the driver was because, unlike council car parks, the private companies need to pursue the driver not the owner. Then gather your evidence to show you visited the car park twice.
These companies have six years to pursue the claim and often pass off the debt to debt collectors prior to that term expiring. Obviously unless you have been ordered to pay by a court then the debt collectors are whistling in the wind.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 6-Sep-2019 21:24 Message #4751236
Although they are if they choose to persue you for a breach of contract, which is what you're deemed to have enterred into by virtue of them offering to let you park there on the T's & C's displayed, and you accepting them.
Sometimes these no return times can be quite harsh.
Not that it would go down well at the local Tesco, but one of the terms of the car park is that it's for store customers only. The private operating company would be within their rights to enforce a breach of contract if they produced the evidence showing the people who regularly park there to attend nearby clubs were not at the store.
Harsh again, but rules is rules.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 6-Sep-2019 22:57 Message #4751252
i nearly got caught out at our local morrisons, the notice claimed i had parked for 17.5 hrs [2 hr limit], i knew it was wrong as i had only been there for about 30mins.

after a lot of head scratching i realised what had happened...i had gone in to the carpark via the main entrance and left by a second exit used by their delivery lorries, and the camera,s arnt linked.

i phoned morrisons h/o and they scrapped the ticket with no argument.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 7-Sep-2019 01:27 Message #4751257
Good posts, many thanks all.
If we imagine the scenario outlined by Fosy.
But the business concerned does not scrap the ticket, then you are left to deal with the PPC yourself.
I have done some research and this seems to be a trend.
Businesses giving passive support to the PPC.
In my instance I checked up on review sites, and can even see the business change its policy.
The manager said they would scrap the ticket, and then changed their mind, states one review.
Seems the PPC's are willing to play tricks.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 7-Sep-2019 12:03 Message #4751284
n/h,

you dont get the notice until a couple of weeks later so things are already becoming sketchy, and the thing is if i hadnt have realised what had happened i couldnt have proved my car wasnt parked there, so although innocent the likelihood was having to pay the "fine".

not good.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 10-Sep-2019 19:45 Message #4751943
I hate private parking companies. They really are some scumbags.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 10-Sep-2019 20:57 Message #4751947
We have been caught twice when visiting local pubs for lunch. They were places we were very familiar with , having eaten there for a number of years, but suddenly they put up notices in their CP's with parking charges. We didnt see them , as we weren't looking or expecting them. Each time we had £80 fines. We went back to both places and complained, and fortunately the manager got the charges cancelled but only on receipt of our bills.
The places concerned were the Apple Tree at Gerrards Cross and the Malt Shovel at Cowley/West Drayton. Each pub said it was to deter people from parking there, and not using the pubs. Both Vintage Inns.
Male
Brundall  Male  Lincolnshire 13-Sep-2019 22:55 Message #4752464
There is a pub on the road into Leicester end of M69 and you have to sign in lucky I was with some one who knew the ropes but if they where late serving your meal it would no doubt cause you to be on the wrong side of there rules best to avoid any premises like that if they noticed a drop off in business they may be more reasonable.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 13-Sep-2019 23:37 Message #4752467
Totally agree with you Brundall.
Done some research on this, because it is their mistake, and I can prove my car was not there for 7 hours.
I send them a letter saying cancel in 7 days, or I write to DVLA.
Due to their mistake, they have accessed my details without good cause.
Then I think its all downhill for the parking company from there.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 14-Sep-2019 06:52 Message #4752474
Wise man not count chickens until fat lady sings.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 14-Sep-2019 10:29 Message #4752491
True Hottie, but willing to have a forfeit wager on this one.
If I win your forfeit will be no more plagiarism.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 14-Sep-2019 10:56 Message #4752500
This logging your registration number into the machine when you've parked in the car park has been increasing down here and I've seen quite a few in pub/restaurants and even some supermarkets, especially when the car parks are e.g. near town centres or seafronts, and I've been in some where you pay to park but then it is deducted off your bill at the end.
Tbh I think it's a reasonable measure as it prevents commuters, shoppers, visitors to the area etc. using the car parks as they're convenient which means that the establishments customers can't park there.
Where this arrangement is in place I've never not seen that is what you have to do.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 14-Sep-2019 17:54 Message #4752549
True Hottie, but willing to have a forfeit wager on this one.
If I win your forfeit will be no more plagiarism.

I will resist your tempting offer as I have not seen the evidence of defence or prosecution but I wish you luck and hope you succeed.
Just between you are me shhhhhhhhhh as this is top secret. The neo-Stalinist cabal who have tainted my good character with accusations of plagiarism are living in a Corbynistic fantasy world as my postings have never contained any plagiarism. This is because I have never, not even once, attempted to pass off any of the quotes as my own. Soooooooo not plagiarism.
As I said just keep this between you and me as I like to play along with the trolls and as most of the forum has them blocked I have some sympathy for them and their fake profiles.

LOLOL.

Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 14-Sep-2019 18:16 Message #4752550
Originally I used to find your plagiarism very annoying.
But I now think it is brilliant.
I find it amusing when I see Trolls annoyed, because I know how annoying it can be.

Also, this is top secret too, I do something similar.
But trolls are so thick, they have not even noticed yet.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 14-Sep-2019 19:48 Message #4752571
NotHermit. But trolls are so thick, they have not even noticed yet.

So much going on.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »