Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Have you ever been seduced by a tool.

A telepathic draw from across the floor

Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 5-Sep-2019 09:34 Message #4750980
I moved in my house in 2007 as it was sold by a very old couple who had let the hawthorn hedge get to 10-12 ft high and overgrowing the pavement. It's a corner house so has a wide frontage. I had no money to pay someone who had the right equipment so set to with a decent set of shears.

It seemed unachievable as I was tired, depressed and working full time, but once I got going it was therapeutic, though one of the GPs used to remark at my "self-harming" as the thorns ripped into my skin and I hadn't noticed any pain. I had needed a knee repair for a torn ligament so going up and down the ladder could be painful.

Anyway, each week, whatever weather I reckoned that if I filled the big green bin, my hedge would eventually disappear faster than it would grow, and it did.

Then I visited a HomeBase and was idling around the isles and something "waved" at me from the distance. I felt drawn to it.
There it was, a Bosch cordless yet powerful hedgetrimmer that said on it's box it could handle 15mm thick branches.
I tried to walk away, and I did, but the "voice" kept calling me and I felt I kept drifting back and could see this tool could be a very welcome member of my household. It was in a sale at £99 and not the cheapest, but my hedge is not the smallest either.

That was around 10 years ago and so far, said hedgetrimmer has been used around monthly over the growing season and it's battery energy lasts just about the length of my own. We are a perfect match. When it needs a recharge so do I.

I wonder, has anyone else had such a successful relationship with a tool?
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 5-Sep-2019 10:33 Message #4750982
well ......... there I was browsing in ann Summers .............
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Sep-2019 11:24 Message #4750991
I love tools, tools mean possibilities, I could do anything if I had the right tool and knew how! Seriously though something thats going on my xmas list are some new gardening tools, a new spade and a good hoe, both essential for my gardening.

There are kitchen tools I love, my chefs pan, I need a new one and they seem to have gone out of fashion and I can't find any, they're something I want to see and feel before I buy, I never buy a pan where the lid is the heaviest part of it. Likewise knives I like to feel them, the heft and balance of them in my hand.

When I was hairdressing, my scissors, the right length of blade, the right shape handles and the right finger stop.
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 5-Sep-2019 16:25 Message #4751019
Love the story Lyn. It made me smile. The only tool that ever talked to me, was my Marshalltown bricklaying trowel. It would tell me to slow down sometimes. And it worked like a dream laying a bed of 'compo' to accommodate four bricks at a time. Infact, and dont tell the psychiatrists. I talked to it too.
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 5-Sep-2019 16:25 Message #4751020
Love the story Lyn. It made me smile. The only tool that ever talked to me, was my Marshalltown bricklaying trowel. It would tell me to slow down sometimes. And it worked like a dream laying a bed of 'compo' to accommodate four bricks at a time. Infact, and dont tell the psychiatrists. I talked to it too.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 5-Sep-2019 19:40 Message #4751062
WH,

Although I have kitchen gadgets like a breadmaker which is a halfway house to throwing in fresh ingredients and pressing a button, I was disappointed with my very old food processor which I don't use that much, but I wanted to make more soups. Partner wanted to visit some expensive cutlery shop in Hathersage, Derbyshire so we did...wow...talk about being seduced, I came out with a £46 squashy thing, forgot the name, but it is basically a sieve with a handle you turn and it presses the contents through the holes. It would do justice in a Downton Abbey kitchen but I think I wasted my money. I thought good old-fashioned non electric would be the way to go, but I realise I don't have any relationship with it!
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 5-Sep-2019 20:06 Message #4751067
I think a kitchen gadget/equipment is great if you can leave it out, so that you use it. Once it goes in the back of the cupboard it'll likely never come out again. I got myself a halogen oven which I found very useful and versatile & used on a daily basis, but think the fan/thermostat has packed up. Shame. Have now invested in a multi-cooker which I was sceptical about, but so far impressed.
But I'm a fan of any small gadgets for the tool bag, car, camping box which might just"come in handy".
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 5-Sep-2019 20:14 Message #4751068
Mine must be my aged sewing machine. It belonged to my Great, great grandmother and is an 1870 Jones which was her wedding present . It eventually came down to my mother who taught me how to use it when I was just 3 years old. Over the years I made my wedding dress & all the bridesmaids, all of our bedding, all my clothes since leaving school. loads of curtains, and furnishings. When I was just 5years, I made dresses for the three little girls who lived next door (as my mother said they were very poor) I cut up the pure silk bedding throw to make the dresses - I wasnt too popular, but was forgiven for the good thought. Over the years I have tried to get shot of the old sewingmachine , even buying two state of the art electric ones, but ended up taking them back for refunds. So it seems Jones & I were meant to be together till the end.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 5-Sep-2019 20:36 Message #4751070
always wanted a drill..…………...got one and after a few year I wanted an electric saw...…..then got one a few years ago love it....along with the power washer and leaf blower...…...I love tools...….I really do....
I stand in amazement sometimes when I start a diy job and you just plug things in and the jobs done without effort...…...its amazing...….
my own set of drain rods were the last thing I got....but they do take some energy to use...unless they do electrical ones???...ooh might google..lol
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 5-Sep-2019 20:38 Message #4751072
OnlineMSE

You reminded me of a Sunbeam Electric frying pan I had in a family caravan. When I moved in 2007 it got stuck in a cupboard and then last year took up camping.

We spent a week on North Uist, Outer Hebrides in the gales of June 2018, no cafes but with some imagination the pan produced brilliant varied meals all inside the tent.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 5-Sep-2019 20:41 Message #4751075
That's brilliant Victoriana.

I own the last generation of the metal electric sewing machines. Not so old but bought in 70's.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 5-Sep-2019 20:49 Message #4751077
Euro.

Fantastic.
I bought a drain attachment for my pressure washer. Messy though.
After years of struggling I found I could claim on my insurance and no wonder blockage kept recurring, he found a tree root when he lifted the grid on my drive.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 6-Sep-2019 06:42 Message #4751122
My screwdriver with built-in reversible ratchet. I was in love from day one.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 8-Sep-2019 10:58 Message #4751417
I've met a few tools on dating sites, and that kind has a minimal chance of seducing me.

Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 8-Sep-2019 11:09 Message #4751422
Ditto.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Sep-2019 11:34 Message #4751434
I love my breadmaker, I used to make all my bread by hand and I rarely have shop bought bread. I think the thing your'e talking about is a vegetable mouli, I had one I got along with very well and I had a small one I used for making baby food back in the day.

I used to have a brush cutter that looked like it would be at home on a medieval battlefield, like some kind of halberd, it was so great to whizz around and you had a surprising amount of control with it too. Before my shoulders got bad I used to love chopping wood, we had a big old fashioned axe that also looked as if it would be at home on a battle field, I loved it, but then the handle broke and I couldn't get another that fit properly and wouldn't split.
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 8-Sep-2019 15:30 Message #4751461
My nut crackers .they are brill for opening jars lol .and me mop i got from bm .you just squirt and go .i loved me bosh hedge trimmer.me gardner alex loves it now .he trims me bushes
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire 9-Sep-2019 10:06 Message #4751620
Trust you to get bush trimming into the conversation Joolsy !
Just don't do it in front of the bus driver..

Chris.
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 9-Sep-2019 10:37 Message #4751633
Ha ha snowy .oh my days ya rememembered when i exposed meself to the bus driver and passengers .with the vibrations lol lol oh my days lol lol

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »