Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Tradesmen

Day off, and waiting, waiting....again

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 2-Sep-2019 13:21 Message #4750544
I seem to have initially had bad luck with plumbers. In my old house it took around 7 calls before one kept his appointment to give a quote, then he didn't show up to do the work.

Then my ex and I had a bathroom fitted and the company used independent contractors to do the actual work. They were lovely guys, turned up, but then 3 major leaks over the following months. My ex could not read or write, dyslexia, but was innovative in using car parts to solve household plumbing problems so our bath had radiator hoses under it and our MIRA shower was repaired with carburettor parts.

Moving on to where I am now, I have had three bathrooms in 12 years of which the first two leaked right through the dining room ceiling. The 2nd plumber plumbed in my new vanity unit by smashing the base and leaving the pedestal pipes right through the middle, leaving my new unit looking like Short Circuit the robot.

Anyway, I now have a great plumber, all resolved, kept his number....but now the fencing.....

Guy one just didn't turn up. He thought he could just rearrange without letting me know.

Guy 2 said "I won't let you down", then texted me to say he couldn't make it due to being with his granddaughter in A&E. Fair enough, I said I hoped she would be OK and rearranged...today...my day off.

I got up 7am and swept where he would be working and moved some plants that would be in his way.
An hour before he was due, a text, he wouldn't make it today...no reason.

Anyone else get experiences like this or is it just me?

I now have an electrician coming this evening, to give a quote...I hope

.... and another fence person sometime this afternoon to give a quote.... I think he might turn up.

Am I politically incorrect (wrong) that trades "men" still think older women are just languishing at home waiting in all day?

Does this happen to men?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 2-Sep-2019 13:39 Message #4750545
It certainly does.
It seems to me that proper tradesmen are no longer interested in small jobs, they make more money from whole fence installation, fitting a complete bathroom or similar large projects.
I doubt very much the blokes who cancelled are sitting at home twiddling their thumbs while watching TV, they are out earning more money elsewhere.
I had to contact loads of gas fitters before I found one who was willing to come to fit and certificate a second-hand gas cooker - £90 for about 15 minutes work, but few were interested.
That's why you've seen an increase in the number of odd-job men who will fit a single fence panel or unblock a sink or fit a tap washer for someone who can't do it themselves - unfortunately, when it comes to gas you generally need a certified gas safe engineer...
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 2-Sep-2019 15:41 Message #4750552
I have had the same experience and I agree with what Hiero says. Getting anyone to do small jobs is a nightmare.

My cold bath tap has pecked up. I think it is the tap, rather than an airlock. I can imagine what will happen if I attempt to do it myself.

I also need a ceiling light fitting to be changed and a full length mirror to be put up in my new bedroom. I may end up trying to do it myself, but I am a bit scared what I might do to my newly decorated wall and ceiling, apart from the possibility of being burnt to a crisp doing the light fitting.
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 2-Sep-2019 16:07 Message #4750557
I can say with total sincerity that I don't hold sexist views like that. As a builder, I always honoured my promises and still do. Honouring a promise and punctuality are way before profit to myself. But sadly, there are too many who abuse those traits. I hope the latest keep their words and prove your fears wrong.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 2-Sep-2019 16:10 Message #4750558
It isn't the smallest of jobs though. £250 worth labour but only included two wooden posts as I've already bought a fancy rustic screen panel to fit between the posts.

The next guy still not turned up.... (big sigh).
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 2-Sep-2019 16:12 Message #4750560
It's useful if you get to know a general handyman. Many jobs don't need a skilled craftsmen but do need someone who knows what they are doing. Tradesmen are a nightmare. It doesn't help that so many pack up Friday lunchtime to end the week in the pub.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 2-Sep-2019 16:12 Message #4750561
Witheflow,

I'm not saying they are sexist, but just interested to know if men treated the same. I suppose the era has gone of the woman being at home but tradesmen do consistently ask my address and seem to assume I'll be in every day just in case.
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 2-Sep-2019 16:22 Message #4750565
I saw sexism and ageism in your question Lyn. Both would only apply if, I was to think like that over someones age and sex. As regards being let down with appointments; I had to wait for my electricity meter changing last year and, they kept recheduling the appointment. I suspect this was nothing to do with my situation or sexuality and more to do with taking on too much and failiure to balance their intake.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 2-Sep-2019 16:28 Message #4750567
Ageism and sexism can of course work both ways. Many tradesmen will go the extra mile to help an elderly person or a female they feel is vulnerable even if that is a bit chauvanistic for some.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 2-Sep-2019 16:38 Message #4750569
MrQuiet,

Funny you should say that. This last landscape person advertises cheaper to pensioners (which I don't like). I suppose that is a backward kind of ageism. Most pensioners I know are more well off than their kids.

Witheflow,

As a tall woman, and a nurse, I'm used to opening doors for everyone, but I did feel it was a lovely gesture for 2 men last week to offer their seats to me on the tram.
It could be another thread, but I am fed up with too much political correct (ness). Even if it is just a polite game, it was well received when my grandfather raised his hat to ladies, even though in his garage he still taught his granddaughter how to set points and sharpen the lawnmower.

I'd rather be kind and a bit sexist, but I'd still stand on the tram for an old man, or indeed a young man is he looked as if he needed the seat :-)
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 2-Sep-2019 16:40 Message #4750571
MrQuiet,

The guy who used to work for my husband (self employed) used to cut one old lady's hedge for free when he went to tune her car.

We also got a complaint for helping a mum and her 2 kids to get her car started (that's all, for free) but they wants a free visit again when it broke down later. The reason I am saying this is yes, a mum with 2 kids in a broken down car is more vulnerable?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Sep-2019 18:54 Message #4750591
Minnie, Have you looked on youtube for a how to video? I'm not brilliant with electircs, but I'd have a go at doing it myself, I'd take the cover off the old one and take a photo of where the wires go, as long as it was replacing like for like I think I could manage. I'd have a go at the tap too.

Its not just women that have problems with trades people, my dad got ripped off big time by a bathroom fitter/plumber, whats worse is the bloke knew my dad was dying. It took us ages to get someone else in and we know we paid a higher price than we could of done, my mum had a few plumbers who asked if they could speak with her husband, not a nice thing for a new widow. Luckily we have a semi retired plumber/gas fitter now who only really wants small jobs. We have a good and reliable decorator and general builder, but an electrician, wouldn't know where to get one of those.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 2-Sep-2019 19:36 Message #4750596
It's just past 7:30 pm and neither the fence person or electrician turned up.

To be fair, I rang the fencing company and the vehicle has broken down on the motorway so tomorrow after 5pm as I'm back in work 7am.

The electrician … still waiting. Don't want to bother him if he's running late. (Another sigh)
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 2-Sep-2019 21:55 Message #4750626
some tradesmen are good and non sexist/ageist..lol but I realised this year I had no stop cock, workmen came and refused to believe me when I said I had no stop cock...……….they blatanty treated me like either a blonde, an old dear, stooped, or something..lol.till they discovered that I did not actually have a stop cock......I still haven't a stop cock cos the outside one is jammed and I,m waiting for the water company to unjam it...…..6 months and waiting..lol

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 2-Sep-2019 22:12 Message #4750632
Plumbing is a lot easier now with all the kwik fit couplings available, proper plumbers turn their noses up at push fit and flexible pipes but for us DIYers they are a godsend.
I'm addicted to youtube tutorial videos, it's amazing what you learn...
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 3-Sep-2019 00:21 Message #4750641
I had no luck finding a reliable tradesman to refurbish my downstairs loo ad a job in the loft. . Phoned 3 of them and they all let me down.
I was lucky to be able to speak to someone from Age Concern who got me in contact with a builder they recommended and I can trust.
Not the cheapest of jobs , but it will all be done and finished the week after the 7th of October . Yippy!

leogirl.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 3-Sep-2019 11:05 Message #4750673
Agreed - and compression fittings have been around for decades before pushfit - though when I moved a few radiators I preferred solder joints throughout - except the final connection where it was not possible to drain all water from the pipe so I used pushfit on that joint.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 3-Sep-2019 16:14 Message #4750705
I've usually felt I get better service being female.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 3-Sep-2019 16:54 Message #4750712
"Does this happen to men?"

Hahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha! Oh! Oh dear! That was a good one. Sexism round ever corner is it?

"Am I politically incorrect (wrong) that trades "men" still think older women are just languishing at home waiting in all day?"

Why don't you phone a trades "woman"?

Now I've got that out the way....

Yes I does happen to men. I've had my fare share of plumbers and so on say they will be out at such and such a time, never to show up.

In my recent thread about the nightmare I've had recently with my drainage, British gas home care was branded a bit of a rip off. I've heard many a person say it, but for me..... I pick up the phone and I have a trades "MAN" round within a couple of hours.

I have a trusted electrician I call upon and he is only too happy to do little jobs. Installed new lights in living room and dining room, installed a outside light, upgraded the fuse box and installed a new extractor fan in bathroom.

I know a few fellas that are handy at joinery work, so little jobs they do. Uncle is a builder. Cousin a gardener. Other cousin installs tv areals. The garage my car goes to is a second generation friend of the family.

Just need to find a decent plumber for little odd jobs and I'm sorted.

I would also agree with, I think it was Wonderoushen who recommended how to videos on YouTube to Minnie..... huge array of how to videos on YouTube showing you all kinds of things. If you have the tools and your willing to work, give it a try. A tip from me.... avoid American or Australian accents, go for UK guys videos as it's more likely to be what you find when you start pulling bits off and so on.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 3-Sep-2019 17:06 Message #4750715
I have never seen a fence woman advertising in my life, thought there is the "Pink Plumber" who only goes out to women.

I used to take on most things but I don't think I'll be uprooting a few concrete posts, carving wood posts and setting them in concrete and repaving the disrupted block paving.

I have, in past, rather stupidly gone up ladders to the 2nd flood and painted the barge boards...when I was pregnant.
In addition, I used to be nifty at doing a fast wheel change and entertain the guards at RAF West Drayton on my Bond Ranger.
Not bad at sorting out the endless chain adjustments on the back wheel of a Kawasaki 900 when it started to twang.

However, I'm happy to pay a proficient fencer and block paver when one turns up man or woman.

Wow, you're very judgemental based on a few general words!
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 3-Sep-2019 17:14 Message #4750719
On running an engine tuning business for 28 years I used to get over the phone...from men...

Some were OK, and others...well... leaves me grinning just to remember some of the conversations.

Even better, when I got pulled over by the police because my boyfriend had L plates on his motorbike and I had a full license. Better still when his dad was sergeant at the police station.

….then there was turning up to work as a young nurse at the orthopaedic mens' ward and parking my Z1A outside.

Sorry, I can't help it.... the mischief!
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 3-Sep-2019 18:38 Message #4750725
The electrician turned up and now the Landscape company has deferred until next Monday.

We'll see.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-Sep-2019 18:42 Message #4750728
My painter and decorator is female and I used to know a female plumber, personally I care less about the gender of the person and more on their ability to do the job, properly, on time and at a reasonable cost.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 3-Sep-2019 19:10 Message #4750733
Agreed WH. Though I don't seek out any particular gender, never gave it a thought as there isn't a choice round here.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 3-Sep-2019 19:12 Message #4750734
Lyn, I was on the back of my little bro's bike with L plates once and we got pulled over. I let the convo go on for so long and then asked if he would like to see my (full) licence. He really didn't want to see it, until I insisted and then his face was a picture. He wagged his finger at my bro and said, I'l be watching you, sonnie.

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »