Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Did you enjoy

school?

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 31-Aug-2019 18:29 Message #4750363
I've noticed that whenever something to do with school comes up I seem to be the only one who absolutley hated it and had a terrible time, with bad teachers and all sorts of stupid rules. Primary school was bad but secondary school was truely awful, it seemed more like a warehouse for girls between the ages of 11 and 16 than an educational establishement. To me school was a place where enthusiasm and imagination were sent to die, along with any self confidence or individuality.

Did you enjoy school?
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire 31-Aug-2019 18:36 Message #4750365
I loved school even though I had quite a few due to parental house moves, but leaving school at 15 was even better , you learn far more after school as far as I am concerned
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 31-Aug-2019 19:03 Message #4750369
I loved school,
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 31-Aug-2019 19:24 Message #4750370
The bad of school outweighed the good for me....

I didn't know what my brain was for...still don't...I used to mess about far too much...

First 3 years senior school, It was a mixed school....They were ok really...There is a class photo in my profile of the second year...I look quite innocent....

The 4th and 5th years, we had moved back to Lancashire again, and it was an all boys school...I started to get a bit rough then..you needed to, 14 and 15 yr old boys school involved quite a lot of sticking up for yourself...My behaviour often wasn't very good, but that's the way it was...

I didn't really 'grow up' till I left school and went to sea....
Female
Nemesis  Female  Dorset 31-Aug-2019 19:59 Message #4750372
I'm with you Hen. It wasn't school itself, it was the kids. School was full of bullies and I was a timid little thing. The girls were bitchy, pretending to be your friend and the minute they sucked you in it was all venom. The boys weren't much better. They all told lies to make themselves sound desirable. The only memories I have are of being taken the p""" out of. I hated every minute of it, except for German, English and History lessons.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 31-Aug-2019 20:57 Message #4750390
I loved school, despite being bullied.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 31-Aug-2019 21:17 Message #4750393
I didn't understand school.
I lacked confidence and was fed up with because, being quite tall, I was assumed to be the strongest. Had to be the boy, always in the middle at the back.
I have up studying when I was accused of copying an essay out of a magazine I'd never heard of. Lost faith.
At our leaving assembly, the Head commented to a full audience that I was the only pupil she had ever looked up to. Even at 15 I couldn't understand how insensitive the supposed intelligent could be.
I failed every O level but went on to apparently get the highest mark they ever had when I took an entrance exam into nursing.
I'm still baffled by human behaviour of many high academic acheivers and how cruel they can be.

I continued to roller skate in knee socks and pigtails onto my own horizon.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 31-Aug-2019 22:27 Message #4750401
I didn’t mind school and I can’t remember any really awful teachers although a few I didn’t look forward to seeing. I was average in most respects, academically, looks, sports, so I didn’t attract attention which led to a peaceful life.
Since leaving school myself and taking an interest in the schools my daughters have attended I’ve developed a fondest for several teachers and I volunteer for a few tasks to help out including classes to combat bullying and other problems where talking to the kids can help.
I would enjoy school a lot more if I did it all again.
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 31-Aug-2019 23:09 Message #4750408
I liked school. I was a bit of a loner so it may not have looked as if I liked it.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 1-Sep-2019 01:17 Message #4750418
I absolutely hated school, it was an absolute nightmare period of my life and despised most of the teachers. I was off ill about one week in every eight. Somehow I ended up in the A-Stream coming out with good grades. However, I found it very difficult to concentrate and must have been disruptive. My maths tutor called me an enigma because I messed about in class and came top and my computer studies teacher just left me to it telling me that I knew more than him. It was a rough mixed race school that constantly underachieved. The ethnic 'minority'(majority) pupils got preferential treatment due to "equality" which didn't exactly help racial tensions. I was very much a loner and just didn't fit in. No matter how much they tried to squeeze me into the box I never fitted in it. They seemed to be intent on destroying any confidence I had trying to make me look and feel stupid which has affected me throughout life as a result. I blame the French teacher the most by making you stand up in front of the class to answer questions and mocked you when you were wrong. it was absolute hell :'(
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Sep-2019 18:16 Message #4750451
As an only child I rmember thinking that I didn't know there were so many children in the world when I went to school, and how noisy they were! I think I had a headache for about a year, that and being off with tonsilitis every other week, I was ill so often that we had the beadleround to see if I was really ill. I didn't know how to do most of the social stuff that other kids did, I'd never needed to learn how to. I remember having a total sh1t fit when I had to go back for my second year at primary school, I really didn't want to go and was horrified to learn that I'd be there for years! I wasn't academic at all at school and I was hopeless at sports and games, I couldn't never understand why I had to do things I didn't want to and didn't like, I remember one xmas a troup of actors came to do a play and it was pinnochio and it really scared me and I wasn't allowed to leave, I wonder if that put me off theatre for life? Now I know that the likelihood of my various learning difficulties would of been picked up on as would those of some really horrible kids.

Secondary school was truely awful, male teachers sexually assaulting girls and nobody believing us, teachers generally acting like we were a nuisance and there to stop them getting on with their work. There was bullying and stupid petty rules, it seemed more like square bashing than education, for many of the teachers there was no real point in teaching us because we were girls and were just going to get married and have babies, no one had any ambition for us so we had none for ourselves, I don't think most of us would of known an ambition if one came up and bit us. I think the thing school taught me the most was how to endure, although when told me school days were the best days of your life, I just wanted to die.

Why do teachers so often refuse to explain the things you don't understand and over explain the things you do?
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 6-Sep-2019 06:46 Message #4751126
If I had to do school again with the confidence I have now it would probably be very enjoyable.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 6-Sep-2019 08:08 Message #4751127
Some days I think back to it and I hate it with a passion, other days, it's just a mild dislike. But that's really the thing, I've gone through life not knowing what I want and not having the self knowledge to achieve anything so to me, school achieved it's aim - churned out another robot for the assembly line of industry.
On the plus side there were a few young student teachers made life a little more bearable.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 6-Sep-2019 08:15 Message #4751129
I think that was the aim of schools in the 60s and 70s and I can’t remember anyone having aspirations unless it was to be a footballer to train driver. Schooling has changed a lot and even the previously boring subjects are taught in a more interesting way.

Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 7-Sep-2019 07:19 Message #4751264
You’re right Andromeda. How did they manage to make history so boring pupils would come away only having learned something happened in 1066. Geography was made boring too.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 7-Sep-2019 12:09 Message #4751285
so is it just me who was expelled...???
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Sep-2019 12:53 Message #4751290
Everything was made boring, secondary school almost put me off reading for life, I was quite good at geography but hated it as I was one of the girls the teacher used to make help him in the cupboard and he'd rub himself up against me.

I don't think any of us had ever heard of an aspiration, we were asked what we'd like to do when we left school and then told pretty much one by one that we couldn't do it because we'd already made our O level and CSE choices and were doing the worng subjects. I don't think it occured to any teachers that it might be an idea to ask us before making exam choices, or if it did it was instantly dismissed as encouraging us to step out of designated station in life, which was factory and shop fodder to tide us over until marriage and babies.

I was always a good cook and I loved it, I was the only one in the class who did, I'd go through all the recipe books and plan what I wanted to make the next week, my parents encouraged me, I'd take what I'd made home and it would be eaten for dinner. You'd think the teacher would of loved an enthusiastic pupil, but no she didn't, I was criticised for searching out new recipes, for being adventurous, she tried to make me stop cooking things for family meals and said it was wrong for me to do so and my mum should do it even though she worked full time, she even made me see the deputy head to see if I was being neglected at home. I was consistently maked down even though everything I made came out really well, she refused to let me take the only O level I could of passed, cookery and made me take home economics instead where the cookery element was less. I felt I was being punnished for being good at something, I gave up on school and bunked off for over a year.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 7-Sep-2019 13:26 Message #4751298
W'Hen..."You'd think the teacher would of loved an enthusiastic pupil, but no she didn't, I was criticised for searching out new recipes"

I remember getting a bollocking because my Dad bought me extra Maths books so that I could do more at home!
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Sep-2019 13:27 Message #4751300
You might now have been a chef on Bake Off wonderoushen.
Male
The_Snow_Covered_Fool  Male  Cheshire 9-Sep-2019 10:34 Message #4751632
No.

Chris.
Female
joolsy  Female  Essex 9-Sep-2019 10:44 Message #4751634
I had fun .but messed about far too much .i remembers havi g tbe cane across me hand 3 times for smoking behi d the sports block .ooooh and i nearly blew the science block up .lol .
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Sep-2019 11:04 Message #4751638
I might of done Raach, but have cooked professionally I wouldn't want to work in a restuarant, its to pressurised and the hours are to anti-social for me, but who knows what could of happened with a little encouragement?

I think thats the thing that really stands out from childhood, the lack of encouragement not just at school but at home too. Its one fo the only things I agree with David Cameron about, the poverty of ambition for may young people, the world has moved on from whole families working in particular industries in most areas, but so many people haven't caught up. I still hear of children being held back because of family prejudices, you're not a real man if you don't get your hands dirty at work etc.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 9-Sep-2019 14:00 Message #4751669
That pretty well happened to me, wh. My family, parents and siblings, labelled me a snob because I passed my 11+ and went to the grammar school. I had a Saturday job in Waitrose and just before my A-levels, I stopped so that I work for my exams. My mother was livid and it caused a real family hoo-ha that I had given up my Saturday job. It was only recently that it finally dawned on me that she had thought that I would (and should) work there full time after I left school. I'm not sure that she was that impressed that I got a job in the lab instead to finance my further education.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »