Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Do you try to avoid taking pills?

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 31-Aug-2019 08:46 Message #4750290
Are there successful alternatives using natural products.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 31-Aug-2019 08:56 Message #4750293
I do take pills for various ailments but I try not to take too many. I haven’t found many useful alternatives.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 31-Aug-2019 12:02 Message #4750315
I'm allergic to or have the '1 in 10,000 people may experience this...' side effects with many medicines, some just don't work on me, valium for instance dosen't work. I do try alternatives some work better than others, it depends on the problem and what therapy you try. For example if I had a slipped disc then I wouldn't expect a herbal remedy to sort it out any more than I would something like co-codamol, I'd see a chiropractor or osteopath and they would be likely to sort it out. If I have something like stomach cramps, nausea, acid indigestion then I have some fennel tea maybe a mix of chamomile and fennel if its really bad, only if that dosen't work or it goes on for a few days will I look for something stronger and the underlying reason.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 31-Aug-2019 13:45 Message #4750326
I would rather my kids lie down in a dark quiet room than take pills for headaches etc. That is what I do. I certainly do my best to avoid any pills but sometimes medicines are necessary.
Luckily I’m not allergic to anything.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Aug-2019 15:18 Message #4750335
“A Person Who Is Their Own Lawyer Has A Fool for a Client”

“A Person Who Is Their Own GP or Pharmacist Will Have A Cadaver for a Client”
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 31-Aug-2019 15:22 Message #4750337
Yes yes yes.

So does that mean you try to avoid taking pills or not?
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Aug-2019 15:31 Message #4750338
"After you, Claude."
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 31-Aug-2019 16:25 Message #4750345
I think taking tablets has become too easy. You can buy them everywhere including garages which I think encourages more use when it might often be unnecessary. I have friends who have regular headaches and their remedy is to take lots of painkiller tablets. I don’t think it’s a good thing.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Aug-2019 17:42 Message #4750347
Whilst agreeing with you, Cautious1954 31-Aug-2019 16:25:
# Why do you think so many people now suffer from recurring headaches?
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 31-Aug-2019 17:49 Message #4750349
I think there’s a lot of reasons. I honestly don’t think people are as hardy as they used to be. They are also easily stressed about much more, perhaps through social media or the non stop bad news churned out 24/7. Children are more independent which also makes them less obedient. Schools badly run from a governmental point of view.
I’m only guessing from the things I see happening around me and I definitely don’t believe any one thing is the problem but more from the evolving of society worldwide.
But I’m sure many would disagree with me.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Aug-2019 17:58 Message #4750351
Thank you for your comprehensive reply, Cautious1954
Whilst I don't necessarily agree with the totality of your analysis - you've spent time mulling the matters over, examined the evidence and come to a rational conclusion
Respect
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 31-Aug-2019 18:28 Message #4750362
I'm not on any pills but since the National Blood Service turned down my donation twice for iron deficiency, I take an irregular, when I remember it, couple of iron tablets a week. I was also Vitamin D deficient so I buy them and take a couple a week.

As a nurse I see a lot of patients being started on pills for temporary problems then the GP forgets to stop them. The NHS must be paying a lot on unnecessary drugs.

One thing I have noticed over the years is how high blood pressure is connected to obesity, not always, but often, so if people could lose weight, they wouldn't need blood pressure tablets.

I also have seen people started on blood pressure tablets for a temporary event in life and instead of managing the stress, they get put on blood pressure tablets to treat the consequences rather than the cause.

There are many patients who refuse to take tablets they really do need, then there's the ones who seem to relish any additional prescription and have tablets that cause symptoms, then they need tablets to treat the symptoms of an earlier tablet. One example is amlodipine for blood pressure. It can cause swollen ankles, so then the GP gives furosemide to treat the swollen ankles.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 31-Aug-2019 18:56 Message #4750367
hell yes I take pills,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well paracetamol and ibrufen...if I get headache back ache or toothache...….I aint going to suffer pain if I don't have too...…….
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Aug-2019 20:04 Message #4750374
.... but GOD sent pain to punish you for your sins.
Therefore it's an even greater sin to even TRY to avoid the punishment for your sins.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=en1uwIzI3SE

Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 31-Aug-2019 20:11 Message #4750377
So kids get cancer cos they,be sinned?.really f£ck off you total dimwit
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 31-Aug-2019 20:12 Message #4750378
Oh don't reply I,be remembered block button

Bliss
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 31-Aug-2019 20:18 Message #4750380
Yes G2BW forgetting all the daft comments of children suffering and witches still burned at the stake. We are talking about taking pills.
Do you take pills or do you prefer to suffer?
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 31-Aug-2019 20:22 Message #4750383
I know he takes pills.
I guess he has been talking to God again?
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Aug-2019 20:34 Message #4750386
It seems that you are not aware that these types of beliefs were hammered into people by the Christian church across Europe for centuries - and still are in some areas.
Thanks to their combination of Power and Influence, science and medicine were held back by centuries too.

Take a look at the beliefs and actions of the so-called Evangelical & Fundamentalist rapidly expanding Xtian sects in US/A.

Ask yourself about reason/s for the huge increase in Measles cases in UK.
Nothing to do with the virus having gained some sort of immunity

From our NHS
Complications of measles include:
diarrhoea and vomiting, which can lead to dehydration
middle ear infection (otitis media), which can cause earache
eye infection (conjunctivitis)
inflammation of the voice box (laryngitis)
infections of the airways and lungs (such as pneumonia, bronchitis and croup)
fits caused by a fever (febrile seizures)
liver infection (hepatitis)
misalignment of the eyes (squint) if the virus affects the nerves and muscles of the eye
infection of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord (meningitis) or infection of the brain itself (encephalitis)
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 31-Aug-2019 20:34 Message #4750387
G2B asked Why do so many people get recurring headaches
Then goes on to say pain is sent by God as punishment.

So according to him God keeps giving some people headaches?
You could not make it up.

ROFL.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Aug-2019 20:41 Message #4750389
See my comment above.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 31-Aug-2019 21:00 Message #4750391
We are all witches mate.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Aug-2019 22:15 Message #4750400
Thank you - Hazel
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 1-Sep-2019 17:29 Message #4750434
I think there’s a lot of reasons. I honestly don’t think people are as hardy as they used to be. They are also easily stressed about much more, perhaps through social media or the non stop bad news churned out 24/7. Children are more independent which also makes them less obedient. Schools badly run from a governmental point of view.
I’m only guessing from the things I see happening around me and I definitely don’t believe any one thing is the problem but more from the evolving of society worldwide.
But I’m sure many would disagree with me.

Good sensible post.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Sep-2019 17:49 Message #4750444
I disagree with you Lyn, I think some of the worst over medicators and self medicators are the elderly, I agree with you about lots of people being on to many prescribed meds and they're not checked often enough to see if they're all needed or are the cause of a problem because of side effects.

I've met some elderly people who won't see a doctor but dose themselves up with herbal remedies that seem traditional to their family and are often made with hedgerow ingredients, that was the way of things for hundreds of years before modern chemical componds. Thing is we encourage people to seek medical advice, but now we're complaining that to many do, often not for the right things which they leave until they're hospitalised when it maybe to late. If someone has high blood pressure then how is anyone to know that it wasn't pre-existing the stressful event thats brought them to the GP? And isn't high blood pressure dangerous for more than a few minutes or hours?

Have you ever been overweight Lyn? Because a lot of people think losing weight is easy and a matter of just doing more and eating less, but there are times when because of poor mobility people can become overweight and be eating very little and all these things can be a viscious circle of pain, depression, poor self -image and lack of confidence in general.

I think the NHS needs to prescribe less and spend the money on things like physio, pain clinics, psychologists and counselling.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »