Conversation Dating and Relationships
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Scammers

Be aware

Female
mini  Female  Cardiff 30-Aug-2019 23:27 Message #4750271
Hi all, while I am a member, and have been for quite some time, I don't frequent the site often.
One of the reasons is because of the scammers trawling and trying to con me into sending monies to them. The last two have used the same m.o, in that they are doing a factastic deal contract over seas. And then the next msg is they have arrived at their destination only to realise they have either lost their wallets with all their cards and monies, or they have been stolen and can you send them funds.
Sorry but I didn't fall for it the first time and the second time is an insult to anyone's intelligence.
Be aware peeps.
Ending with a question, is it only me this has happened to on here?
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 30-Aug-2019 23:39 Message #4750273
I sent a woman loads of money once, I will not fall for that one again.

How much money did you want?
Female
mini  Female  Cardiff 30-Aug-2019 23:52 Message #4750274
Non, I'm self sufficient thank you. ??
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 31-Aug-2019 00:11 Message #4750275
Ok thanks for the warning, its not just you, scammers are everywhere.
I can send you lots of advice about how to avoid scams if you like?
Female
mini  Female  Cardiff 31-Aug-2019 09:40 Message #4750302
Thank you NotHermit, it's quite annoying, and shuch a shame that these people are on the site making a mockery of the sites values.... It's pon
Baby going to be another few months before I look in on it again.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 31-Aug-2019 09:48 Message #4750304
Have you reported the scammer to admin? Admin can't remove these people if they aren't reported.
Female
mini  Female  Cardiff 31-Aug-2019 13:39 Message #4750324
No I haven't, the first time it happened I went onto the women only page and was told I couldn't mention this persons name because it wasn't ethical. So I just left the site for a while.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 31-Aug-2019 16:22 Message #4750344
scammer names are often mentioned which helps to warn others, just dont use the name in the title of the thread.
lets face it, scammers are far from "ethical" by their very nature !
Male
Colonel_Blink  Male  Buckinghamshire 31-Aug-2019 23:08 Message #4750407
There will always be scammers. I wouldn’t worry about naming them as they are often named.
Female
mini  Female  Cardiff 1-Sep-2019 17:04 Message #4750423
Stepintothewater was the site name he used.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 1-Sep-2019 17:08 Message #4750424
he contacted me as well, i think he is still doing the rounds on here, which then begs the question...is he getting results ??
Female
Susieq7  Female  Surrey 1-Sep-2019 19:52 Message #4750461
This guy contacted me as well. He did not ask for money but his whole life story seemed to be dodgy and he said he was a gem merchant. He pushed a lot of extreme religion at me, and claimed to be a gem merchant with two kids called Greatman and Valentine.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 1-Sep-2019 20:46 Message #4750471
Don't tell me, he's looking for a god fearing woman.
Female
mini  Female  Cardiff 1-Sep-2019 21:06 Message #4750482
Why don't the managers of the site turf him off the site?

Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 3-Sep-2019 07:50 Message #4750647
But why do people even choose to interact with these potential scammers.
To answer one of the original questions, no you're not the only one that gets messages from them.
It happens all the time to most on here. What's the big deal. It's usually pretty obvious from their profile or message. Just ignore them, as you would e-mail in your junk folder.
Simples !
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 3-Sep-2019 07:54 Message #4750651
Just ignore them,

Scammers and deceivers of all kinds attract those who encourage them by unnecessary interaction.
Male
contender  Male  Leicestershire 4-Sep-2019 11:11 Message #4750802
A pretty American Scammer came on and we started chat on here and then at her suggestion we moved to Yahoo Talk, and continued to chat!

We exchanged photos and in due course things didn't seem to add up?
I asked her about her internet, in which she said it was free?
She relocated from one side of America to the other allegedly next day, but when I googled the distance it was something like 1000 miles in 24 hours, (or even 12 hours), and knowing that the buses over there probably are driven at 50 miles an hour - didn't make sense?
She alluded to coming to the UK and staying with me, and so she was in the process of booking an airline ticket, via Royal Dutch Airlines.

All of the above wasn't making sense to me?

Then she asked for £600 to assist her in gaining an Airline ticket, at which point I declined as being unemployed at the time, my monies were in short supply anyway.

Of course when i say she, it could have been a bloke?

She was persistent in asking for the money, and so I blocked her on Yahoo!

Then i closed down that app, having no further use for it.

So when i am now made a favourite of a lady who in turn is in her 40's, i just sit back and see what happens next and usually in a couple of days they are gone.

Mike
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 4-Sep-2019 11:45 Message #4750806
Dear Mini could you lend me a few bob, I need a good holiday and maybe a car.
I will pay you back honest.
Female
mini  Female  Cardiff 5-Sep-2019 00:59 Message #4750950
Ok mancer, I'll be up in Manchester in the next couple of weeks, I'll bring it with me ?? I'm a Manc too!
Just to go back to my original thread, I suspected straight away that this person was after money. I only Msg three times (the third time I told them to not bother getting in touch with me again)
It just annoys me that these people do these sorts of things.
I like to think I'm pretty savvy but unfortunately there are people that are far more gullible and will fall for their lies and end up losing their hard earned money.
Female
mini  Female  Cardiff 5-Sep-2019 01:04 Message #4750951
Hotornot, they contact me, I'm not a regular on here and I always reply as I think it only polite. However once I suspect they are scammers I tell them so and ask them not to bother msg me again.
Female
mini  Female  Cardiff 5-Sep-2019 01:10 Message #4750952
OnlineMSE, I just find it annoying, and I do feel for those people who are taken in by these deceitful people,
I wonder if the managers of MSE could some how monitor/delete membership if theses scammers

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »