Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Wheelchair accessibility.

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 26-Aug-2019 11:14 Message #4749675
Have you had problems? Venues, taxis or buses?
Male
Powly  Male  West Yorkshire 26-Aug-2019 12:20 Message #4749679
Pavements ! with all the cars parked on them !
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 26-Aug-2019 13:46 Message #4749682
I push a wheelchair on an almost daily basis and encounter very few problems except for steep inclines. Public buildings and big stores are very accessible. I appreciate smaller shops and buildings struggle to provide access and room to manoeuvre inside. Restaurants are always very accommodating and almost everywhere has wheelchair accessible toilets.
As said, cars blocking pavements can be a nuisance and also the lack of dropped kerbs but after pushing one around for seven years I’m getting the hang of it now.
Maybe the most pleasing aspect is the amount of help offered on trains, streets etc by complete strangers.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 26-Aug-2019 17:29 Message #4749708
It’s good that you find people so kind hearted when you are with the wheelchair png. I think most people will lend a hand when possible.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 26-Aug-2019 23:32 Message #4749733
I'd agree with Powley, pavements and cars on them. I'm rapidly coming to think there should be a law that allows cars so parked to be towed away and scrapped at the expense of the driver/owner and that it should be like on the films - done within minutes.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 27-Aug-2019 06:50 Message #4749741
Cars parked on paths are a nuisance and sometimes dangerous to those with prams or wheelchairs but parking on the path is not usually illegal.
As the population grows and in a wealthy nation more cars are inevitable.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 27-Aug-2019 18:39 Message #4749801
Well from a bus drivers perspective.......

Up here in bonny Scotland, where the sun has be known to shine.....

They went round a large majority of bus stops and put in raised kerb stones for easy access for wheel chairs, prams, elderly ect. However they seemed not to know the dimetions of a bus. Now, bus stops where the bus stops at the side of the road, they are no problem. Up here we have bus stops that are like laybys, to allow the bus to pull in off the road, set down and lift passengers allowing traffic to continue on. The problem is, they put the high kerbs in the centre of the layby bus stops...... meaning in order to stop with the front of the bus lined up with the high kerb, the rear of the vehicle had to be sticking out. Also it meant coming in at an angle, which meant the very low nose of the bus could easily scrape along the high kerb causing damage..... drivers fault.

I just can't honestly believe no one thought of this as they put the high kerbs in!
Female
Kallone_1  Female  Devon 27-Aug-2019 22:56 Message #4749830
I’m in a wheelchair. When you have someone to push you it’s not too bad if you come across badly parked cars or other obstructions but when you are doing your own wheeling it can be very hard if you have to go into the road or cross the road as you can be difficult to see from a fast moving car.
I’ve no major complaints. The government and NHS provide all I need and most places are very helpful. Supermarkets will give me a personal shopper to reach high shelves and take shopping to the car.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 28-Aug-2019 07:10 Message #4749843
A good point Kallone as it must be very difficult if out alone in a wheelchair.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 28-Aug-2019 10:50 Message #4749858
Good point Bob, we have a lot of layby bus stops too, I though most buses had the sort of hydrolics that raise and lower the bus so as its level with the kerb when at a stop, but then raises again?
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 28-Aug-2019 11:02 Message #4749863
" I though most buses had the sort of hydrolics that raise and lower the bus so as its level with the kerb when at a stop, but then raises again?"

Yes I think all should have them by now. My procedure was if I was a non motorised wheel chair, I'd just stop in the bus stop properly and lower the bus, pull the wheel chair ramp out, but still left a bit of a gradient. I think motorised ones couldn't do the steep gradient, so had to stop with back end sticking out. Also many a time the lowering equipment only stayed down if your finger was on the button. Occasionally it wouldn't work. Sometimes it would be disconnected as, when sitting at traffic lights the front of the bus would start bobbing up and down.

The point I was making was, it's no good putting in all these measure to help wheelchair users, if they don't take everything into consideration.

Another thing I notice.... certain places I visit at night while working, I ask to use the toilet, they tell me "Just use the disabled toilet.... it's closer!" The sink to wash your hands is very low, for obvious reasons, but it's also a very small sink..... why is that? Do they think wheel chair users have very small hands?
Female
Kallone_1  Female  Devon 29-Aug-2019 22:36 Message #4750110
You sound like a caring bus driver bob but some drivers hate helping disabled passengers although most are lovely. I have a key to use public disabled toilets and they are usually a lot better and cleaner than the ordinary toilets. I hadn’t noticed the small sinks but will take note next time.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 30-Aug-2019 09:52 Message #4750153
"You sound like a caring bus driver bob but some drivers hate helping disabled passengers although most are lovely."

Yeah, I know what you mean.

It could be something to do with not being allowed to help them by company policy. Although I helped wheel chair users on, if they needed, I wasn't supposed to. The driver is only supposed to brink out the ramp, as if he touches the wheel chair and the user falls out, or he causes damage to the chair.... the company is liable, or at least they would have to give out some type of compensation as a "gesture of good will"

I had two regular wheel chair passengers, one was a pain in the ass, the other one made me physically sick once with her..... suppose it was hygiene. One of thee most foul, vile people I ever met.

Yes, have a gander at the sinks and report back lol
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 30-Aug-2019 21:23 Message #4750262
Decent wheelchair accessible toilets are imperative if the cubicle needs to accommodate one person transferring from wheelchair to toilet and a carer having to help to lift them across.

Female
Kallone_1  Female  Devon 31-Aug-2019 07:49 Message #4750282
png that is precisely the problem if the disabled toilets are not big enough or don’t have facilities to assist lifting.
HonestBob. The sinks in this part of the country are normal sized. Maybe it’s just the Scottish ones which are tiny. Small hands? There must be a joke somewhere in that.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 1-Sep-2019 18:18 Message #4750453
I have a friend who uses a wheelchair and on the occasions I have pushed her I soon realise it can be very hard work. Slight inclines you haven’t noticed suddenly become quite steep and kerbs you step over become high obstacles.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 2-Sep-2019 18:37 Message #4750588
I laughed today.

I was in town and alongside me was an elderly guy pushing a wheelchair. I asked if he wanted a hand to push up the hill.
Him: no thanks I’m ok.
Her: yes he does. Some days he should be in the wheelchair.
Him: the boss has spoken.

So I gave a hand and chatted for a while and we all sat outside Costa and had coffee. So nice to make new friends.
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 5-Sep-2019 07:19 Message #4750963
I was in quite a busy restaurant yesterday lunchtime when a lady in a wheelchair came in. A few of us had to move to let the wheelchair through and the owners had to move a couple of tables but it took hardly any time and it was so easy when people are willing to help out a bit.
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 10-Sep-2019 08:10 Message #4751836
London is quite good for wheelchairs with dropped kerbs and spacious black cabs. Most stations are ok but there are comprehensive lists as to which are accessible.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 12-Sep-2019 18:18 Message #4752223
London is quite good for wheelchairs with dropped kerbs and spacious black cabs. Most stations are ok but there are comprehensive lists as to which are accessible.

Black cabs are very good. A lot of stations are unsuitable and due to their age are difficult to modernise but staff are usually very helpful and if all else fails they will pay for you to be taken to a more accessible station.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 12-Sep-2019 21:56 Message #4752270
When old buildings are difficult to access they usually try to do something to help.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »