Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Housework

And all that stuff.

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 15-Aug-2019 12:37 Message #4748793
Do like or loathe housework.

Which appliance or labour saving device do you treasure the most.

Do you wash up with marigolds.

Do you iron or let the creases fall out.

Are men as capable or fussy as women.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 15-Aug-2019 13:11 Message #4748794
Groan.....loathe it !

Most treasured appliance (s) :
1) washing machine
2) dishwasher
3) multichef mixer/grater/whisk etc

Dont even possess Marigolds but do have some gardening gloves.... somewhere

I always iron

Men are capable, but they dont want to be, in the kitchen. They are fussier
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 15-Aug-2019 13:31 Message #4748795
My dishwasher is my most treasured appliance, I had wanted one for years and finally treated myself about 18 months ago.
Sounds a bit extravagant for a single person but it washes much better than by hand and doesn't cost a fortune to run...
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 15-Aug-2019 14:33 Message #4748796
don`t mind housework once in a while. Love the satisfaction of a job wel done. I arrange housework around the time available doing other things.

My washing machine and my vacuum cleaner that picks up doghair!!!! also my bed-hoover.

I do iron , but the finish is so-so . I loved to iron a good quality man`s shirt tom perfection.

my son is the living proof that he can do a better job ar keeping house spotless and many a female.

leogirl.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 15-Aug-2019 17:23 Message #4748802
I like making beds, hoovering and polishing and recently got a super-dooper hoover which makes it even better. Not keen on much else. I work for an estate agent and through them I got a washing machine and dishwasher which were from ex-rental premises and free!! If I could only have one appliance it would be the washing machine.
My daughters are aged 16 and 12 so very capable of doing most household tasks. My eldest has mastered ironing. She also named us The Three Amigos as we all muck in together with the housework and cooking.
Funny that she has seen such an old film and I haven't but she found it funny and gave us the name.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 15-Aug-2019 18:43 Message #4748805
Washing machine, followed by the hoover and steam mop, I sort of have a dishwasher, its MummyHen, as I cook and she does the dishes. I love my food processor too. I only iron clothes that have to be ironed which is mostly spring summer when I wear a lot of linen and cotton, having worked in a B&B I never want to iron a sheet again, especially not a fitted sheet. I'm a lacklustre duster, it always seems a bit pointless as everything seems as dusty 10 minutes later as it was before I started. I try and think of it as home care rather than a chore, caring for the home that keeps you warm and dry by keeping the inside clean should be a caring act to my mind.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 15-Aug-2019 18:51 Message #4748807
Housework!
Appliance!!
wash up!!!
Iron!!!!
capable!!!!!.....

Puts another lock on door and boards windows up to stop anyone seeing in....
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 15-Aug-2019 19:29 Message #4748809
I’m hopeless. I can’t cook. I can’t iron. I have a bit of a fantasy involving marigold gloves but my washing up is not great.
I do the jobs out of necessity but as little as possible.

Washing machine first choice.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 15-Aug-2019 22:08 Message #4748843
I don’t mind housework but I have all the labour saving devices. I’m probably too fussy.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 15-Aug-2019 23:00 Message #4748846
housework is just a chore to be done, and have learnt over time how to do it well.

its true that "a woman's work is never done", i can now fully appreciate that.

when i first moved into a flat i had nothing, and i washed my clothes by hand, hard and time consuming, so a w/machine is a priority.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 16-Aug-2019 07:01 Message #4748849
I’m quite organised so I manage to keep on top of everything. Wouldn’t want to be without my dishwasher.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 16-Aug-2019 10:04 Message #4748857
I don't like housework at all! I honestly grudge doing it so much. I especially hate doing dirty dishes, even just putting them in the dish washer annoys the hell out of me.

If there was one thing that would have me off the single market it would be a woman who does dishes for me!

I do keep my bedroom clean, and my laundry is always done well. When I was a bus driver I was always told how my uniform was so well presented. Shirt ironed, trousers pressed, boots polished, tie done up in a..... half Windsor or full Windsor.... can't remember. I took pride in doing it. Now as a scruffy lorry driver..... I haven't used my iron in years! Don't even know where it, or the ironing table is....
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 16-Aug-2019 11:29 Message #4748872
Some people put me to shame with their housework...Their houses are spotless..

I don't know how they do it...well, I do know...hard work...and things like late night clearing up....and early morning tidying and hoovering etc...

I'm much better in someone elses house...Doing the washing up and stuff if appropriate...at home things get chucked to one side until 'later'
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 17-Aug-2019 00:42 Message #4748909
I loathe housework and it's done out of necessity. I prefer the 'lived in' look rather than the 'ultra-tidy' that you don't feel you can sit down in. When I tidy up, for some reason it looks worse than when I started. I swear the filing fairies follow me around and shuffle things back out of place.

Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 17-Aug-2019 01:27 Message #4748910
With regards to trousers or shirts, ironing out wrongly applied previous creases with equally misaligned newer creases makes me feel psychotic, wishing for a big red button I might press … to eradicate the whole human race.

Battling to put duvet inside duvet cover delivers me similar angst … though my irrational thoughts are less destructive … merely wishing to deliver a thermo-nuclear air burst over a Glastonbury festival while in full swing. (This fantasy dates back to the 70’s and 80’s when Glastonbury was full of hippies and druggies … with my idea of solving society's lefty / druggie problem in one go by taking out 100,000 of them with a very neatly placed local thermo-nuclear strike that wouldn’t effect anyone else).

I think that was the main reason my friends deterred me from pursuing a political career … for fear that I might find myself staring at the real red button one day.

But that’s silly because, as Prime Minister, I’m sure I could have had someone else iron my shirts and sort out my duvet covers.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 17-Aug-2019 08:20 Message #4748915
Ironing other people’s clothes has become big business.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 17-Aug-2019 11:21 Message #4748933
Beach do you do politically correct ironing? Its all differently creased, mine is I just try and flatten it as best as possible. People who iron creases down the front of jeans should be taken out and shot immediately. Duvet covers are easy, just turn the cover inside out and put your arms and and grab hold of the top corners along with the corners of the duvet, lift and shake and then its pretty much done, if it a heavy or really big duvet hang it over the bannisters to take some of the weight.

People who tidy but don't clean do my head in, all neat corners covered in 2 inches of dust bunnies, my house is rarely really tidy but it is clean. I like to have things I use regularly around me, some people want everything in cupboards and clear work surfaces in the kitchen, its something that Manthing and I argue about often.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 17-Aug-2019 13:43 Message #4748940
You are right, Nero. Ironing businesses are saving the world from Armageddon. :-)

I don't own an iron any more, Hen.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 19-Aug-2019 21:59 Message #4749132
Loathe it but do like the place to look tidy...ish. Hate ironing. Prefer doing home improvements, painting, tiling, etc. as a kind of satisfaction when finished.
The devise I would treasue the most hasn't been invented yet. Well I have kind of invented it but don't know how to put the mechanics in, to actually, enable it to work. I need an instant dust collector and my kind of vision is a floor to ceiling post with whirling, rotating cone shapes that rotate up and down the post and draw in all the dust particles (and cobwebs) from floor to ceiling in a room. Just a flick of a button and a matter of seconds and all the dust is gone. Vacuum cleaners have a distinct flaw, as they will happily swallow up small objests such as buttons or paper clips etc, and leave all the dust behind. I am sure dust must have a boomerang gene, as it keeps comig back.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 20-Aug-2019 11:11 Message #4749149
There you are Beach, theres something to invent, I agree with SU, dust has a boomerang gene, maybe it shares a gene with the annoying fly that hangs around until xmas?

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »