Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Do you have..

a pack of cards?...

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 14-Aug-2019 17:14 Message #4748716
and what games do you play...or what games did you used to play?...

Do you do it online now instead...or as well as?

There's a collector of toys and games called Tim...He is under the name of 'Grand Illusions' on youtube..I've mentioned him before, but he has an amazing collection of toys, games and gadgets that he has collected through the years...He displays them in many videos...and I find them compelling to watch....not just the toys etc, but him as well...

He has many packs of cards amongst his collection...Novelty ones, strange ones, all sorts..

Have you got any novelty ones?

Some card games that we used to play when I was younger were Brag, Pontoon, and one that was on the Western series 'Alias Smith and Jones' called Montana Red Dog...I loved that series....I can't remember how to play the game though....I expect it is online somewhere...

There were also different patience games we used to play....

I don't currently have a pack of cards...so I may look online to play a few things....
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 14-Aug-2019 19:18 Message #4748733
Got a few novelty packs around belonging to the kids. I like to play poker and blackjack and a little gamble isn’t out of the question.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 14-Aug-2019 20:57 Message #4748751
Yes, we have a couple of packs but never play .

When I first married, my husband taught me how to play poker & brag. I loved it and became an expert at :

a) 3 card brag, 7 card brag & 9 card brag
b) draw poker, stud poker and 7 card poker
c) Solo whist

I eventually got banned from various card schools because I was a constant winner, and the male players didnt like it . I have never played since.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 14-Aug-2019 20:57 Message #4748752
Yes, we have a couple of packs but never play .

When I first married, my husband taught me how to play poker & brag. I loved it and became an expert at :

a) 3 card brag, 7 card brag & 9 card brag
b) draw poker, stud poker and 7 card poker
c) Solo whist

I eventually got banned from various card schools because I was a constant winner, and the male players didnt like it . I have never played since.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 14-Aug-2019 21:39 Message #4748758
Always take a pack or two if going away. Usually play rummy, gin rummy, trumps/whist, sevens, switch depending on how many there are to play.
On my own there's always solitaire and playing card cricket (popular with ww2 pow's)
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 14-Aug-2019 21:42 Message #4748759
I don't have the patience (if you will pardon the pun) for playing cards. I get bored too quick.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 14-Aug-2019 22:33 Message #4748765
Snap!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 15-Aug-2019 11:26 Message #4748789
We've got loads of packs somewhere, I used to play a lot of patience but stopped because cats and dogs started walking over the lay out and cats always want to play, the only trouble is they only know one game, 52 card pick-up. I used to play lots of gin rummy and shithead, but I can't remember the rules for most of the games now. As I have a PC I don't play games on it as its to uncomfortable to sit here for that long. Patience is something I like to spend the odd 15 mins playing often whilst waiting for something to come on telly that I want to watch.
Male
RumBassiousPenguin  Male  Essex 17-Aug-2019 09:52 Message #4748926
My son is a professional magician, when he lived with me there were packs of cards everywhere! He wholesales as well, so has a couple of hundred packs in stock.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 17-Aug-2019 17:50 Message #4748953
As a family, we used to play Canasta which I enjoyed. Have dabbled at Bridge and would like to take this further at some point.
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 20-Aug-2019 23:14 Message #4749173
Yes I have a couple of packs of cards in the house. Haven't played a game for a while. I used to enjoy playing 'Cheat' because you could well....cheat. Would have to be at least three players; more preferred. Amazing how many kings in a pack at times but always risky to call someone out as a cheat. If there weren't then you could be lumbered with a huge pile of cards.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »