Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

How much would you be prepared to pay....

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 14-Aug-2019 11:38 Message #4748698
for a cauliflower.....We've got a crisis on our hands apparently, due to the weather...

I love cauliflower cheese....and the Indian potato and cauliflower ( Aloo Gobi )

Will the prices come down when the 'crisis' is over...

It affects all the other brassica things as well....things like cabbage, broccoli, sprouts etc

It was on the BBC website. ( Does BBC stand for Broccoli Brussels Cauliflower? )
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 14-Aug-2019 11:50 Message #4748700
All my brassicas are doing well despite the cabbage white cattapillars, as to how much I'd pay well it would depend on the size of the cauli and what I wanted to do with it.

I love Aloo Gobi and Sag Aloo too (spinach and potato)
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 14-Aug-2019 12:28 Message #4748702
I've not noticed an iota of difference in the prices but maybe that's because many of them come from "home grown" sources.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 14-Aug-2019 12:29 Message #4748703
That's on our local market...
Female
Helenuk1963  Female  Gloucestershire 14-Aug-2019 14:24 Message #4748707
Much as I like cauliflower, if I thought it was too expensive I'd pick a different veg. Living on a budget :)
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 14-Aug-2019 19:00 Message #4748725
I haven't bought fresh cauliflower for a while, they have never been cheap, and so small!!!!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 14-Aug-2019 19:02 Message #4748727
I guess it because of all the heavy rain we've had in a lot of eastern England where much of our fruit and veg come from. Its not a particularly good time of year for cauli's give it a month and they'll be ready, or should be.

It seems to br a really good year for runner beans, my poles are almost collapsing under the weight of them.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 14-Aug-2019 20:05 Message #4748742
None in the shops here. I was looking for them last week. I would pay about £1 for a good quality cauli of fair size. I like cauliflower cheese.

My brussels plants are doing quite well. Better than last year. My problem has not been excess rain but lack of it. The rest of the country is drowning, here in the Blackwater valley we get a light shower or nothing. My water butt refilled today for the first time in several weeks.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 14-Aug-2019 21:23 Message #4748756
The problem is the amount of rain they had in Lincolnshire last month. They're not likely to recover the crop if they were ruined by the floods in the fields.
I had an excellent showing of runner beans this year. But the gale force winds last weekend took the whole frame down and snapped all the uprights so have lost the whole lot.
What a choker.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 14-Aug-2019 21:24 Message #4748757
Are baked beans safe?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 14-Aug-2019 21:44 Message #4748760
Not if you are going to light a match.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 14-Aug-2019 21:46 Message #4748761
If you eat a lot of them...you'll be full of beans....
Male
Justaguy  Male  South East London 15-Aug-2019 04:43 Message #4748768
I wouldn't give even a penny for a Cauliflower I detest them with a vengeance along with Brussel sprouts, Broccoli, Cabbage, Parsnips, Spinach, Leeks, Marrows, etc.. I know they are supposed to be good for you, but why then do they all taste so nasty :0(

I will, however, eat green beans or any other type of bean actually, carrots, peas, sweetcorn, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers
and any salad type veggies

So I'm not totally against eating vegetables I just avoid all those nasty tasting ones
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 15-Aug-2019 11:13 Message #4748785
Its been a funny old gardening summer, almost no peas or tomatoes, even though the tomatoes are in the greenhouse, loads of chilli's, also in the green house. Beetroots spinach beet , some squashes, damsons and crab apples all doing well, brassicas seem to be doing well too as do the cabbage white butterflies.

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 15-Aug-2019 11:19 Message #4748787
I just stocked up on fresh veg from Tesco (Gosh I still miss my allotment), I don't normally look at the prices but the cauliflower was £1.
I'd be willing to pay a bit more, we need to give our food some value instead of viewing it as just another throwaway item...

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »