Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Chris Williamson suing Labour

Over re-suspension for claiming party 'too apologetic' on anti-Semitism

Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 14-Aug-2019 06:00 Message #4748664
The suspension was lifted in July by Labour's National Executive Committee and the Derby North MP was given a formal warning.
But it was re-imposed two days later after an outcry from MPs and Jewish groups.

The case is currently being considered by a new anti-Semitism panel.

Years ago no-one would have sued their own party like this. Is he wise to revive the anti-Semitism arguments which have plagued Labour for so long. His action can only harm the party.

Or should he make as much noise as possible?
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 14-Aug-2019 09:17 Message #4748674
#Yawn-ski
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 14-Aug-2019 09:27 Message #4748678
FFS.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 14-Aug-2019 10:12 Message #4748681
The Labour Party has received a lot of unjustified criticisms on the exaggerations of anti-Semitism and Williamson does the party a great disservice by his actions.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 14-Aug-2019 10:16 Message #4748682
Don’t get drawn in Nero’s it’s just a bit of we hate Labour rhetoric ,the Cons are getting worried.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 14-Aug-2019 10:54 Message #4748687
Some people love it....some people hate it....

Oh...I've just put my glasses on....I thought it said anti-marmite....
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 14-Aug-2019 10:56 Message #4748689
I can highly recommend Marmite peanut butter...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 14-Aug-2019 11:27 Message #4748696
I think the whole anti semitism thing needs to wrenched wide open, so maybe it will have the opposite effect to what Williamson hopes. If anti semitism is as bad as many say it is within Labour then it needs exposing and rooting out, if its not then it will put it to bed for the majority.

I can't say I like Williamson from what I've seen of him, he just came across as a loud mouth hectoring bully, one of those who can't have a rational debate or answer questions without making it personal or a homage to the wonders of Corbyn and his policies, whatever they are.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 14-Aug-2019 12:54 Message #4748704
It’s no surprise that the anti-Semetism has continued on and on. Corbyn has done nothing positive to confirm or deny the accusations. He is a leader who only ever sits on the sidelines and tries to grab something out of the air once it’s all over.
I can’t think of a single important decision he has ever made since becoming leader and before he was leader when he did make decisions, they were all bad ones with terrorist connections.
He is surrounded by nasty people having got rid of those who might not toe the Corbyn party line
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 14-Aug-2019 19:27 Message #4748737
MrQuiet,
I think Corbyn is genuinely baffled by the accusations and is at a loss. He admits he made a stupid error on not banning an insulting painting where the painting implied Jews had the financial table on their shoulders. I don’t think art was his forte.
You say Corbyn only sits on the side lines when other people complain he has been a protestor all his life.
You write Corbyn only grabs something out of the air, so how does he grab something that is not yet in the air, before it happens?
Is anyone that good?
You say Corbyn has not made a single important decision that you can think of. I wonder, have you see all the decisions and votes he had made as a Labour MP of Islington on the Government website?
Of course, Corbyn is not in power, so he can only voice what decisions he has already made should he get the power to enact them.
A lot of the accusations come from situations where Corbyn was not actually present so any evidence is based on how a Jewish person interprets what is anti-Semitism. A Radio 4 programme recently had several Jewish people discussing anti-Semitism and they all disagreed in how to identify it, so if Jewish people cannot agree and have different boundaries what hope is there in identifying it?
Corbyn has introduced training for Labour MPs to help them identify what can be perceived as anti-Semitic.
Over 100 Jewish MPs and Labour members signed a petition to say they disagree with some of their Jewish friends that Corbyn is anti-Semitic and they, the Jewish petition supporters state that much of it is not true and that all other parties also have an equal problem but that this is overlooked because it suits some to just target Corbyn.
The Jewish Telegraph’s piece on Corbyn (by Alderman, himself a Jew) shows how many actions Corbyn has made positive to Jewish people.
https://skwawkbox.org/2019/04/18/jewish-telegraph-pm-in-waiting-corbyns-impressive-record-of-support-for-jewish-initiatives/

Which "nasty" people surround Corbyn, or does disliking their politics render them nasty?
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 15-Aug-2019 21:21 Message #4748818
Its not just about anti Semitism.
There is a side issue.
Another half wit thinks they can do anything they want, and still have a job.
Look at the timing, for Mr Williamson an election means no job.
He is desperate to get back in to the Labour party quickly.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 16-Aug-2019 12:40 Message #4748880
The anti-Semitism in the Labour party needs to be fully investigated instead of constantly sweeping it under the carpet. This isn't some petty slur by an oppostion party but frequent complains from within the Labour party itself. We know the anit-Semitism is there and an inquiry is needed to say how bad it has become.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 16-Aug-2019 14:10 Message #4748883
You are right Katie. The situation is very serious and quite obviously out of control.

I’m no hater of Corbyn but for Lyn to say “I think Corbyn is genuinely baffled by the accusations and is at a loss.” probably says it all. Corbyn seems baffled by just about everything and that might be the reason why anti Semitism is rife in the party.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »