Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Data by stealth

.. have you noticed?

Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 12-Aug-2019 21:35 Message #4748472
I have noticed that a number of High Street shops have started asking if you would like your receipt emailing. I'm assuming this is because, if you voluntarily give them your email address, they can send you all kinds of marketing stuff.

I had a phone call today from a company that I'd bought a couple of things from ( out of one of those unbidden catalogues that drop through the letter box) The lady said they were going to send me a grocery voucher but needed to check my address. I queried this, as I had received the goods and therefore they had my address … but they 'needed to check'.

I refused to confirm my address, telling the person that I did not share any personal information over the phone and I didn't remember giving them permission to contact me by phone unless it was about the order I'd placed.

So has anyone else come across other ways that companies are trying to get round Data Protection to get your details for marketing purposes?
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 12-Aug-2019 21:55 Message #4748476
I answered a advertisement from a well known supermarket, entered a draw and gave my phone number, my phone didn’t stop ringing for weeks from companies trying to sell me stuff , it taught me a lesson.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 12-Aug-2019 21:55 Message #4748477
I don't tend to answer any phone call where I don't recognise the number.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 12-Aug-2019 22:37 Message #4748489
i bought a drill bit [about £2] from screwfix, who then wanted my name, address, phone number and email.

when i asked why they said something like "so we have the details for the guarantee on record".
i reminded them that the receipt is proof of purchase and will suffice, that i wont play their silly games...now, do you want to sell me the item or not ?

putting the invasion of privacy aside [no one has a right to ask for these details] it really slows down the service aspect.
Female
wholelottakaren  Female  Lincolnshire 13-Aug-2019 09:38 Message #4748519
I made the mistake of contacting Leger holidays for their battlefield tour brochure. I am inundated with stuff now, all of which goes into the bin. What a waste of money and resources - naturally they will recoup by upping the holiday prices. In the end we booked our holiday with national. My poor email box is the same. So many organisations etc won't deal with you unless you provide an email and phone no. Well I've made up a phone no - perhaps I need a fictitious email
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 13-Aug-2019 09:47 Message #4748520
Even the reputable places do it....or they used to..

A few years ago, I set up a new email, as the other one was just getting spam ridiculous..I only used the new one for family and friends...result..no spam at all...not a bit....

Then I stupidly used that email for a complaint to Marks and Spencers, about an item that hadn't arrived...

From that day on....spam started appearing...bit of a coincidence?...or did Marks pull a fast one?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 13-Aug-2019 11:18 Message #4748523
It amazes me the shops and people that want my phone and email, Dunelm always ask for it, so as they "can alert me to exciting new offers", some of them get quite shirty when I say no. Hairdressers are another that want all sorts of information for no apparent reason. I sometimes give a string of random numbers if asked for a phone number or deliberately mix the numbers up and I really enjoy the stunned look on the faces or in the voices of people when I tell them I don't have a mobile phone.
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 13-Aug-2019 11:34 Message #4748526
You have to be very careful about info you give on a CV these days too. No home address. No home phone number. Nothing to indicate your age. No dated employment before 5 years.

If your CV is out there on the web, someone may know when you have an interview and know when you're not at home.

The DWP can sometimes be of assistance.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 13-Aug-2019 13:05 Message #4748533
Also, remember if you are on FB and go for a job interview, the prospect employer can check you out beforehand. This is happening a lot now.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 13-Aug-2019 13:52 Message #4748535
There's a simple answer with FB. Don't fill in your personal details and make sure your security is up to date so they can't see any of your posts unless they friend you.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 13-Aug-2019 23:05 Message #4748640
Most shops you visit ask if they can email the receipt and I just say no thank you.
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside 14-Aug-2019 00:40 Message #4748645
One like talking to strangers. It broadens one's horizons, temporarily.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 14-Aug-2019 14:08 Message #4748706
A useful thing to use when you're checking out online sites using Google (Chrome) is to "go incognito"

If you look to the far right of the bar where you type in the search or url you will see 3 vertical dots.
If you click on that you will see a list of various items.
The third option in that list is "New Incognito Window"
If you click on that it will open up a black page with the heading "You've gone incognito"

It says -
Now you can browse privately, and other people who use this device won’t see your activity. However, downloads and bookmarks will be saved.
Chrome won’t save the following information:
Your browsing history; Cookies and site data; Information entered in forms
Your activity might still be visible to:
Websites you visit; Your employer or school; Your internet service provider

So not totally incognito, but it does stop similar things popping up, that happens if you've searched normally on e.g. ebay or amazon.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »