Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Pruning

The legality

Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 12-Aug-2019 12:35 Message #4748438
My neighbours tree is hanging over my garden, what rights have I to prune it.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 12-Aug-2019 12:46 Message #4748440
According to my brother who was a landscape gardener, technically you can prune any that is on your side of the garden but you have to give the person anything you've cut off. I would imagine most just throw it away though.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 12-Aug-2019 13:34 Message #4748442
Yeah I think that's right that you can prune it but must give any cuttings back to them because they are their property. Whether they appreciate you handing them a load of offcuts is another matter of course.
Personally, I would chat first with the neighbour (assuming you are on speaking terms) to keep things nice and amicable, in my experience seemingly trivial stuff like this can get people all bent out of shape and cause no end of problems....
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 12-Aug-2019 13:35 Message #4748443
That is correct.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 12-Aug-2019 15:34 Message #4748448
Thanks.
Female
fewdots  Female  Dorset 14-Aug-2019 13:11 Message #4748705
You really should first check that the tree doesn't have a TPO attached to it. If it does, you really must apply to the local planning authority for permission to prune, even if it is overhanging your garden. We have currently had a problem where someone has physically ripped branches from our protected Copper Beech, which was overhanging the road above a 6' fence. The fine, for damaging a tree in a manner likely to destroy it, is £20,000 and you could still be fined a few thousand for pruning without permission. If in doubt, check!

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »