Conversation Arts and Entertainment
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Beach Cottage

YouTube Night

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 11-Aug-2019 00:53 Message #4748296
After a night out, occasionally, Beach Cottage hosts a Youtube night where friends tumble back here and take turns getting a choice to play their favourite Youtube videos of artists or bands on a 50” LCD screen and 3ft tall retro 1970’s speakers.

Though it isn’t compulsory, most friends offer reasons why they may have chosen a particular track.

What YouTube track would you play … and why would you be playing it?
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 11-Aug-2019 01:14 Message #4748298
Before I got rich and famous and before being rich and famous cost me my marriage, (and brought me a nervous breakdown), I used to be a Finishing Foreman on Europe's biggest building of its type at the time, being the massive Argos Distribution Centre just off the M5 at Huntsworth, near Bridgwater.

I used to drive the 35 miles to work listening to The Travelling Wilbury’s album of that same name.

“Handle me with care” was a favourite track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o4s1KVJaVA

Life seemed so simple back then.

All I had to do was look after 200 tradesmen and ensure they did exactly as they were contracted to do. :-)
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 12-Aug-2019 20:10 Message #4748471
Everybody, got somebody.. To Lean.... on.

We all crave care, love and understanding. Unless, we had a warped rearing. Then we might crave the dark road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8fFdc-karA
Female
Phoenixnights  Female  Nottinghamshire 13-Aug-2019 21:09 Message #4748599
David Bowies concert at the BBC 2000 and Ashes to Ashes. Him and his band sound great, hes having fun and looks so beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3CuzBI4Nhk
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside 14-Aug-2019 00:34 Message #4748644
Anything by Les Rallizes Denudes
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 14-Aug-2019 01:20 Message #4748648
Nice one, Witheflow,

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."

It is fascinating to ponder so many songs with road in the title or lyrics.

Keeping with your theme, I’d add ...

Road to nowhere. Talking Heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQiOA7euaYA

And hey, after playing Talking head, “It’s all right” by The Travelling Wilbury’s kicked in!

Hiya Phoenixnights

What an excellent Bowie Video … and brilliant subsequent Bowie tracks are now playing while I write this. :-)

Thanks, Orson,

I was going to write that I never, quite, got a handle on Takashi Mizutani and the ethereal, fleeting mood music of the band but … I don’t think anybody every has!

To me, rightly or wrongly, I feel the same ‘ahead of their time’ ambience and musical creation as Pere Ubu and / or Suicide though won’t claim to know their discography.

I’m indebted to you, though, for reminding me of such amazing music.

To me, there is also an industrial music, Throbbing Gristle, style to the work.

YES. A BIG thank you for your perfect choice! (We have shared out joy of left-field music before and, yes, I, absolutely, love your band choice.)

Bloody brilliant … and a great suggestion to present to my friends the next time we party.! :-)

Here’s a link to “Heavier than a death in the family” … A masterpiece! (To me).

1hr 16minutes of different.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Les+Rallizes+Denudes+&&view=detail&mid=BAD09DC35F80B06A5F82BAD09DC35F80B06A5F82&rvsmid=D7ABD1FDB0EF7611E2ACD7ABD1FDB0EF7611E2AC&FORM=VDQVAP
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 14-Aug-2019 01:21 Message #4748649
Mentioning Bowie, there's a couple of great live performances of 'Heroes' that are worth it...

Bowie died whilst I was in hospital with my heart failure....I had been admitted a couple of days before, and wasn't well enough to do anything for a couple of days...but when the nurses mentioned the radio attached to the bed, I got round to switching it on...and the first thing I heard was the Bowie news..RIP

The two videos are 'David Bowie - Heroes (Live Aid, 1985)

and the other one 'David Bowie - Heroes (Live)' - with great bass guitar from Gail Anne Dorsey
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 14-Aug-2019 01:36 Message #4748650
I agree, TW.

"Heroes" captures the whole concept of just bulldozing through life … in charge … in control … not allowing anything or anyone to divert that path.

(I've often used "dolphins" myself in prose, to express the idea of leaping and diving, (together) … with a best friend, a lover, a soulmate, (Jackie), to describe a union, a partnership … a togetherness that just cannot be waylaid, distracted or broken.

David Bowie - Heroes

I, I will be king
And you, you will be king
And nothing will drive them away
We can beat them
Just for one day, we can be heroes

Heroes …

I've chosen … Live in Berlin. Bowie chats and, eventually, sings Heroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsYp9q3QNaQ

Just for one day
And you, you can be me
And I, I do all the time
'Cause we're lovers and that is a fact
Yes, we are and that is that
Well nothing can keep us together
We can steal time
Just for one day, we could be heroes
Forever and ever, what do you say?
I, I wish you could swim
Like the dolphins, like dolphins swim
And nothing, nothing can keep us together
We can beat them
Forever and ever oh, we can be heroes
Just for one day
I, I will be queen
And you, you will be king
Though nothing will drive 'em away
We can be heroes just for one day
We can be us, just for one day
I, I remember, standing, by the wall
The guns, shone above our heads
And we kissed I saw nothing to fault
And the shade was on the other side
Oh, we can beat them
Forever and ever, we can be heroes
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 14-Aug-2019 02:55 Message #4748652
OK. This is a weird thread ...

I mean ...

The thread indicates only THREE comments from my perspective while there are currently EIGHT comments, (With nobody blocked) ... and I can't see icons to the left of the screen showing member's photos ... yet all other threads and topics I click on ... appear normal with people's profile pics showing as normal.

Any explanation for that?
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 14-Aug-2019 02:56 Message #4748653
Can you guys see, at least, 8 comments?
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 14-Aug-2019 03:17 Message #4748655
Work it out.....Everyone else will be able to.....
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 14-Aug-2019 03:30 Message #4748657
That's helpful.

Thank you.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 14-Aug-2019 03:46 Message #4748660
Is your superior being letting you down then....Aahh...

A clue :- It's to do with the links, and one link in particular has also thrown the layout...
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 14-Aug-2019 03:53 Message #4748662
Goodbye, Tumbleweed.

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 15-Aug-2019 11:03 Message #4748782
Afro Celtic Sound System, doing Whirly Gig at Glastonbury some years ago, if its not on YouTube then it should be.
Male
Orson  Male  Tayside 15-Aug-2019 15:08 Message #4748798
Kikagaku Moyo.
Male
RumBassiousPenguin  Male  Essex 15-Aug-2019 17:25 Message #4748803
Enjoy your new keyboard?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 17-Aug-2019 09:16 Message #4748919
Too many to mention. But with my taste in obscure world music, I'm not sure that much of it would go down that well on here. Well, I say obscure, they are mostly big stars in their own countries and I have seen quite a few of those big names live just up the M1 one from at The Stables in Milton Keynes, a venue that I really enjoy visiting.
I think some people might like the blues stuff that I like though. I'm particularly liking Joe Bonamassa live at the Carnegie hall, an acoustic evening from 2017.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz5vpT_BcMM
I love the version of Drive that they did, which you can search for as just that number, if you don't want to watch the whole show.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 17-Aug-2019 09:18 Message #4748920
ah, why would I be playing it? Probably because that's the one that appeals at the moment. If you asked me tomorrow, it would be something else. I spend a lot of time on youtube.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 17-Aug-2019 09:21 Message #4748921
Actually, Drive is the second number on that video, right after the annoying ad.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 17-Aug-2019 19:27 Message #4748965
Hi Hen. Just listened to Afro Celt Sound System’s Whirl-y Reel 1 being played live at the Barbican in 2016. I love the mix of Afro / Irish instruments. Reminds me of a good live music night down my local. Quite brilliant.

Good evening, Orson. I wasn’t familiar with them but Kikagaku Moyo remind me of Randy California’s late 1960’s band Spirit, particularly in the early years … even down to the vocal sounds and the lyrical interpretations. I wonder if Spirit has been an influence on their psychedelic style?
I could, (and probably will), listen to them for hours. :-)

Keyboard, RP? I don’t follow …

Evening, M,

You’re like me, Minnie … having a theatre just a stones throw away where, just about, every legend from the 50s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s has trotted past my front door on route to their nearby gig. New ownership seems to mean we get more contemporary comedians these days too though with people like Griff Rhys Jones, Jack Dee and John Bishop peppering live gigs and movies as autumn approaches.

Your YouTube choice.

What a production. So polished. So slick. So … cinematic. And the multi ethnic mix of performers.

Bonamass, (who I’d never knowingly heard of), sent shivers down my spine with the opening song so I can only imagine what Drive will be like.

The sound of excellent musicians all in the same groove is so uplifting. (I hear a touch of The Travelling Wilbury’s who, of course, perform with similar precision and passion).

Loving it, Minnie. :-)

OK. Here comes Drive. (Never heard it before). Stunning song.

I take it back. The Wilbury’s are a bunch of scruffs compared to this ensemble! :-)

Brilliant, Minnie. :-)))
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 17-Aug-2019 21:49 Message #4748977
Glad you enjoyed it, Mr Beach. I should have said that that is the reason I like it so much. A superb collection of musicians. And I love Bonamassa. I have just about all his studio albums on CD. Quite probably the guitarist of his generation.

If you like your guitar licks, here's one for a Saturday night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzngbuoJSXo
BB King and friends playing The Thrill is Gone at the crossroads festival before his very sad demise. Love this version of one of his old standards.
Incredible line up on stage and waiting in the wings. I even noted Bonamassa in the background chatting to Susan Tudeschi.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 17-Aug-2019 21:56 Message #4748978
And a spot of hot young female talent.
Samantha Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr_iMKjHaqo
I had tickets to see her at The Stables in Bay, but I decided to go on holiday instead, so I traded the tickets in.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 17-Aug-2019 21:58 Message #4748979
*May
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 17-Aug-2019 22:18 Message #4748980
U2 Experience & Innocence tour. The visual effects and AR experience were so stunning live that you fely like you were ducking some of the streamers.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »