Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Totally brainless moments

Do you ever marvel at how completely dumb you are sometimes?

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 10-Aug-2019 10:58 Message #4748195
I would consider myself reasonably intelligent, but I am ashamed to admit I am really really really dumb at times.
I recently fitted a new element in my washing machine and I have been monitoring it to make sure it's working properly, mainly because I'm not sure if the thermostat needs replacing too.
The first dumb thing is I hadn't realised the element was broken, so had been running a stone cold wash for months and couldn't work out why clothes were not coming out as clean as they used to.

I put some washing in this morning on the regular setting I use, and after a while felt the glass door and thought blimey that's hot!
Now it's set on a 60 degree wash and for some reason I've always had in my head 60 degrees Fahrenheit! That's about 16 degrees Celsius, this room is currently 25 degrees Celsius so I'm thinking OMG the washing machine is way too hot, it's going to catch fire or something!!
I searched for the instruction book and of course, the penny dropped, it's actually 60 degrees Celsius or about 140 degrees Fahrenheit!
For the last god knows how many years I have been running a much hotter wash than I thought I was (when the element was working, of course)

Please tell me it's not just me that's as thick as elephant poop....
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Aug-2019 11:06 Message #4748198
No its not just you Hiero, I frequently do stupid stuff like forget to put yeast in with the bread mix and wonder why I've got a brick, or forget to put the water in open the lid to find I have toasted flour. I'm convinced that instruction manuals have a hidden script that only I can read and a different one for everybody else.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 10-Aug-2019 15:27 Message #4748238
We all do silly thing when our mind is on other things. Though I always thought that you chaps excelled at focussing on the job in hand. You must be losing your hand, Hiero. ;)
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 10-Aug-2019 15:37 Message #4748239
Immersion heater. I was convinced my immersion heater had blown. Figured out it was the thermostat. Replaced the thermostat and then discovered is was just the reset button on the original one.
All it would have taken to cure the problem was pushing a small screwdriver in a hole until I heard a click.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 10-Aug-2019 15:42 Message #4748241
Some of the stuff I do is when I'm thinking about it happening....eg...when you're carrying a load of stuff, and you think you're not going to be able to carry it all, as you'll probably drop some....and then you drop some..

or pouring something..and thinking I'm not doing this the right way...I'm going to spill it......and then you spill it...
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 10-Aug-2019 15:57 Message #4748246
"You must be losing your hand, Hiero. ;)"

It's losing my mind I'm more worried about. lol
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Aug-2019 19:42 Message #4748271
Do you ever marvel at how completely dumb you are sometimes?

Frequently, and with good reason. You are definately not alone.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 10-Aug-2019 20:00 Message #4748278
I once rang my own telephone number and wondered why it was engaged.
Male
RumBassiousPenguin  Male  Essex 10-Aug-2019 20:12 Message #4748280
My back door is 1 meter away from my kitchen seat. I can come home, sit down a lose my keys. Just...how?
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 11-Aug-2019 04:14 Message #4748301
Still in the door.
Male
RumBassiousPenguin  Male  Essex 11-Aug-2019 09:24 Message #4748312
Oh in door, on worktop, still in pocket - all sorts!
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-Aug-2019 18:04 Message #4748355
A few mornings ago I poured tea on my cereal instead of milk. One of many similar instances.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 11-Aug-2019 18:31 Message #4748356
OMG ..... Raach. You use a teapot!

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »