Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Are you one of those people..?

who praises slackers and trolls....for slacking and trolling less...

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 9-Aug-2019 23:01 Message #4748168
In another thread somewhere, in the last few days, I put a bit about toeing the line and stepping out of line...Something along those lines anyway..

The gist of it was that if you toe the line all the time, you are often treated worse than someone who steps out of line...

Various examples...could be at work for instance...Come in on time every day, nobody bats an eyelid, it is expected of you.....but come in constantly late, and then improve a bit so you are only late half the time, and you can be praised from the rooftops....'Oh, I'm really pleased with Fred, he has really bucked his ideas up...Well done Fred...'..although Fred still happens to be coming in late half the time..

Anyway, along those lines, if you normally behave yourself, and then step out of line a little bit, you are often criticised more than somebody who steps out of line most of the time....

It happens in life....It happens online...It happens on here..

On here for instance, I toe the line most of the time....but woe betide me if I ever step out of line..the criticism can come thick and fast..whereas someone who is for instance trolling most of the time, and then writes a nice post, often gets praise...for writing something nice...once...

It's all a game....

I may start playing it more often....
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 9-Aug-2019 23:18 Message #4748170
You are right on all counts.
Female
Nemesis  Female  Dorset 10-Aug-2019 09:34 Message #4748186
I have to agree sadly.

There's a guy at work I call "the idiot Baines". He's a twat basically - sorry no other word for it.j But now and then he does something nice and everyone loves him. I just dont get it.

I've stopped posting on here several times because the trolls picked up on some innocent comment of mine, and it seems to be the same ones every time.

You have to watch every word these days.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Aug-2019 10:59 Message #4748196
Why don't you block the trolls then, you don't have to play their nasty games. I suspect that when a troll says something others agree with the praise of them stands out amoungst the brickbats, most of us probably try and encourage "good" behaviour with rewards and ignore "bad" behaviour.

There do seem to be some people who have the "power to get away with it", how or why I don't know, it never seems to matter what arena they're in but they always get away with it, what t is in that context. It annoys me too, especially when if you call it out you seem to be the one who gets blamed, I don't understand it.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 10-Aug-2019 12:34 Message #4748219
You can't block the trolls.....they are the site entertainment.....without them we are left with just us boring old farts...

The online side of things is just a small part of it though....A lot of life in general is also affected...

Many things in the workplace....I've only mentioned the timekeeping one so far...

Different situations in life....not all the same...but similar to the thread subject...

Criminals getting away with crimes...time and time again..slap on the wrist at most...

There's one round here...nicked a load of hot tubs...He's famous ( on the internet for it, in the papers etc )...a bit of community order..curfew....back on the streets, nicking anything, bikes, benches, all sorts, drug dealing, the police come round every now and again..and then he just carries on....I hope he gets his come uppance good and proper soon...The scum...

Many other things, where life seems unfair...That's life, I suppose...
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 10-Aug-2019 12:40 Message #4748220
How much for a hot tub tw.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 10-Aug-2019 12:42 Message #4748221
Hi Tumbleweed,

You write, "You can't block the trolls.....they are the site entertainment" but in offering that point of view, (which I disagree with), doesn't that mean you are doing, exactly what you wished others wouldn't do?

ie. ... Praising wrong uns who don't deserve such praise?

Not meaning or wishing to have a pop at you. :-)

Just making a comment.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 10-Aug-2019 12:43 Message #4748222
I think the ones he nicked were about 500 quid each...If you google 'hot tub thief Gloucester' you'll find him..
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 10-Aug-2019 12:47 Message #4748223
It's my humour beach....

We can all block what we don't want....I just see the humorous side sometimes....otherwise I'd have blocked you ages ago....only joking....or am I?....
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 10-Aug-2019 13:08 Message #4748224
Understood ... I think :-)
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 10-Aug-2019 13:23 Message #4748226
On the flip side though, there seems to have been a growth in this little backwater of late in the accusations of people being trolls when they express a different opinion. Rather than feed someone with whom you may disagree with and consider a "troll" just block them then you are not feeding them or getting upset. There also seems to have been a lot of misinterpreting the use of the defined word internet "troll".
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 10-Aug-2019 14:49 Message #4748231
I have to agree with Bris on this. Accusations of trolling fly around like nobody's business on this site and it seems to be used to describe someone that people don't agree with.

I can't say that I have observed what you say, TW, but I think that your (quite possibly) throw away line about being the entertainment throws some light on it. I have never really understood the pleasure that some people get from slugging it out with a complete stranger on an internet site. We are all on here to get needs met at some level and, on the whole, if that is attention seeking, the people that you describe as trolls get way more attention by being rude and nasty than they do by being nice.

For me, I have a pretty low tolerance for rudeness and as soon as I realise that's what is going on, I immediately lose interest. If it is directed at me personally, I may make a dismissive comment as I disengage and that's the end of it for me. I don't usually go back. I am open mouthed with astonishment at times at the stamina for dishing out nastiness and vitriol that some people on here and other websites have.

But, as I have said before, you always have a choice; you don't have to get on the bus with them.
Unfortunately, for some people, the jolt of adrenaline that they get from entering the fray proves irresistible and they don't seem to have much shame about their loss of dignity.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 10-Aug-2019 14:59 Message #4748232
The troll thing on here is just a small part....I mentioned it as an example..

Of course we all have our own ideas of trolls...and our own dealings with them...

I don't particularly see eye to eye with quite a few on here....but others will have their own interactions with those people, and will find them friendly and warm and all sorts...Each to their own..

I often try and see a funny side to life....sometimes offending along the way....in order to deal with lifes ups and downs....I don't really expect everyone to agree...but it's my way...
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 11-Aug-2019 15:49 Message #4748336
Hmmm! I don't see anything funny at being directly offensive at somebody. Low intellect maybe, but not funny...

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 11-Aug-2019 16:23 Message #4748340
Some people are extremely two faced...We all have our own opinions....

and my opinions of you Brisinger, and your closed down alter ego, are not very good at all...You and your alter have both been offensive towards me in the past....and I've also seen you be offensive to others as well...
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 11-Aug-2019 16:33 Message #4748343
ffs grow up and get your facts right!
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 11-Aug-2019 16:36 Message #4748344
Every time you start on me....I'm going to come back at you....

You started on me yesterday as well....and when I retaliated, you said you weren't going to play my childish game...seemingly blaming me for starting something.....It's there for all to see....YOU started it....

So go away...and don't bother me again....Otherwise you will get more....
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 11-Aug-2019 16:53 Message #4748346
TTFN, some of us have too much on our plates being Alzheimer's care-givers to play silly games with those who think they are king of their own little castle in the backwaters of nowhere.
Off to join the other Dementia Angels held together with duct tape (...you won't get that unless you are a fb group member :D )
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 11-Aug-2019 16:59 Message #4748348
Yes...bring your emotional blackmail type stuff like you do...Play the card..a bit like playing the racist card....Your issues are much worse than anyone elses....

We all have important things going on in our lives....Don't forget that....
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 11-Aug-2019 17:32 Message #4748349
Can we lay off accusing people of having other profiles please? I'm sure it must be against the rules somewhere to accuse people of being fakes. It's a matter for admin to deal with. I'm surprised that the helpers haven't closed this thread down as it is getting nasty and seems to have become a bit if a witchhunt against specific individuals, instead of a general topic.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 11-Aug-2019 17:36 Message #4748350
oh no, I have just agreed with Bris twice. Now everyone will think that I am Bris' female alter ego.
Except that quite a few people on here have seen us both in the same room.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 11-Aug-2019 18:00 Message #4748353
I’ve seen a number of regulars who are usually very pleasant get themselves in a tizz over the fake profiles and trolling which is a great pity on a site which is already struggling for survival. I would guess that is the intention of the trolls so they have been successful. I don’t think their behaviour can in any way be defended although I wish everyone would just ignore them.
Message removed due to unfriendliness.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 11-Aug-2019 21:30 Message #4748371
lolling @ tw ;-)
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 11-Aug-2019 22:13 Message #4748375
I don't know any trolls on the message boards.

I know on Facebook, a troll might make a fake profile to be abusive to a subject or a political allegiance, to try to create discourse or maintain mistruths and twisted versions of events, but here, fakes rarely take to leaving public messages and more in private messages.

I have seen posters accused of being trolls because they defend a genuine belief that others disagree with, it's weird, almost like a red rag to a bull. Vicious and nasty backlashes rather than grown-up debate. Evidence is accused as lies, even when from genuine sources.

However, tracking when someone goes on and offline and how many times they have logged on is trolling or at worst even stalking, and is far worse than just having a different opinion.

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »