Conversation The Forum
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Space tourism

Will it ever happen?

Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 9-Aug-2019 17:28 Message #4748126
Does anyone think space tourism will ever happen?
Space tourism reminds me of Concorde.
All the hype and orders for the supersonic aircraft, until people start to consider the pollution it will cause.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 9-Aug-2019 18:46 Message #4748135
The Russians have already done it.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 9-Aug-2019 18:48 Message #4748137
Hasn't Branson got plans to develop a tip to Mars?
Maybe it fell through but I think he had ambition to pioneer something.

I'm not sure about pollution, although apparently we already have an array of junk of retired satellites.

I don't think gas pollution, or particulates would be a problem as the universe is made up from poisonous gases already and I think momentum and propulsion might be solar or/and gravity assist.

I find it amazing how much from the imagination in developing Star Trek has or is actually coming to fruition.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 9-Aug-2019 19:27 Message #4748148
Hi Lynn, most of the pollution would be left here (on Earth).
Its the same argument per Concorde, why should a few people be allowed to produce so much pollution.
Concorde did manage a few flights, but was not the success expected.
The Russians may have done it a few times, I think Brian Blessed was interested, but too big (and noisy).
But will it ever get past issues like climate change/pollution?

Maybe we could send our protesters to Russia?
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 9-Aug-2019 19:55 Message #4748154
NotHermit

Why would most of the pollution be left on Earth?

We will always get some contamination from production of structures and that will apply to buildings, as long as not single use which such items would not be.

I believe one day we will have to leave Earth if we survive long enough as a species. I just hope we learn the lessons so humanity doesn't contaminate everywhere else.

I think humans are arrogant and can be surprisingly short-sighted in that where we are now is the ultimate position of technology like the Earth being flat was once the general belief because it made sense to out limited evidence at the time.

I think we will advance exponentially in a way we cannot presently even imagine.

I don't think we will need money.

I don't think we will need to produce animal protein for consumption and it will seem cannibalistic in the future.
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 9-Aug-2019 20:05 Message #4748155
we just need Corbyn....
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 9-Aug-2019 20:24 Message #4748157
I believe the danger to those travelling in space is not impact with meteor, meteoroid, or meteorite but from bits of old spaceship and other debris left by man.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 9-Aug-2019 20:52 Message #4748159
Just Lyn.

Most of the pollution would be produced within the Earth's atmosphere, by the rocket launcher.
It takes a lot of energy to put a payload into orbit, one of the reasons Brian Blessed never got up there.
Also I am talking about space tourism, not to be confused with space exploration.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 9-Aug-2019 22:13 Message #4748161
NotHermit,

That is based on current technology, but space tourism might result from a less contaminating method we have not yet discovered.

I would imagine tourism would follow on from exploration because we would have to explore before we tour.

You are obsessed with Corbyn tumbleweed!
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 10-Aug-2019 11:22 Message #4748204
There's too many financiers in the private sector for it not to happen. Take Elon Musk, for instance. It is believed that his SpaceX project is further along the path for a manned mission to Mars than NASA. He owns Solar City which is the 2nd largest solar power systems in the US, Tesla is way ahead of the rest in the electric car business. It supplied 80% of electric vehicles sold in the US last year alone and Hyperloop is believed to become the next generation public transport system. He currently holds second place on the tech power list only surpassed by an electronic module, Alexa!
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 10-Aug-2019 11:25 Message #4748205
tw, why the obsession in trying to make a non-political thread political? shakes head in despair
Message removed due to unfriendliness.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 10-Aug-2019 11:31 Message #4748209
I would imagine the technology developed from Solarcity would be quite possible to be transferred into SpaceX. At the end of the day businessmen like Musk are interest first and foremost in profit and if such technologies as solar can be adapted it would be more cost effective.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 10-Aug-2019 11:34 Message #4748210
I'm not getting involved in your childish rants tw especially as I've not a clue on what you are on about.

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 10-Aug-2019 11:35 Message #4748211
no..of course you haven't...
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 10-Aug-2019 12:04 Message #4748214
I wonder what entertainment would be put on during the travelling period and how it could be done. After all there's only so many times they could show "2001: A Space Odyessy" ;-)
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 10-Aug-2019 19:57 Message #4748276
Bris,

I agree with you about the profit angle, but wasn't it Musk who supplied the gear and finances to manpower the rescue of those boys stuck down a cave a few months ago. I can't recall whether it was Malaysia or Thailand, but they were brought over later to watch a big football match as well.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 10-Aug-2019 22:00 Message #4748287
and wasnt it Musk who called one of the cave rescuers a peadophile ! ?
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 11-Aug-2019 00:44 Message #4748295
Musk wanted to use a submarine to rescue the children trapped in the cave.
He did not like being told it was a non starter.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 11-Aug-2019 23:17 Message #4748393
NotHermit,

Yes I remember now. Maybe Musk was more interested in the experiment than actually the lives of the kids.

Fosy,

I also recall the paedophile issue and looked it up. It seems there is another case where the diver had crossed paths with Musk before. In fact Musk's accusations look as daft and sour grapes as we get in our threads at the moment.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/10/18564625/elon-musk-vernon-unsworth-pedo-guy-tweets-defamation-lawsuit-trial-date-

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »