Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Stop and Search

Should the police have more powers to do this

Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 9-Aug-2019 09:45 Message #4748056
It’s been argued that it is an effective way of combatting knife crime in particular.
Male
RumBassiousPenguin  Male  Essex 9-Aug-2019 09:50 Message #4748057
Totally agree. "You're carrying a knife"! "Yeah but I won't use it"....so why carry it?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 9-Aug-2019 10:11 Message #4748059
Rather like with the gun problem in the USA, radical, perhaps unpalatable action, is required to deal with our knife problem.
I'm no expert, but it does seem most (but not all) of those killed and injured by knives are young black men - it seems gang culture amongst this particular group dictates the use of knives.
It seems logical then, if stop and search happens and is to work effectively, most (but not all) of those stopped will be young black men. Shouts of police racism then ensue.
It's a tough one but something needs to be done to stop these people killing themselves...
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 9-Aug-2019 11:08 Message #4748067
The pussyfooting around has been going on for decades, tougher punishment , curfews , more intelligence of shipment of drugs.
We also need somewhere for the teenagers to go youth clubs etc which were closed down for austerity
give the kids a purpose in life.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Aug-2019 11:59 Message #4748074
Heiro has highlighted some of the problems with stop and search, there have been problems with it for decades, I think more police on the streets will gather more intelligence so people may get stopped in a more targeted way, not all gangs are black and if you target black kids and not the white or asian ones a couple of streets over then you create a bad situation.

Mancers is also right that we need more places for young people to go and hang out safely, I think we need to do something about the number of school exclusions, if a pupil is excluded from school the local authority still has a duty to educate them and pushing home education on parents isn't the answer. I'm pretty well educated but I couldn't home school my kids, I don't have the knowlege or skills and if a child is disruptive and disinclined to learn then we need to know why, have they been recommended for a learning disabilities test that the parents can't afford, as often its something that has to be paid for and if not the waiting list can be years long. Is the child really really smart and bored by lessons that seem to easy and babyish? Is the home life stable or chaotic? Theres so many reasons and if we don't tackle them in childhood then we're setting ourselves and them up for a life time of crime and generally poor outcomes.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 9-Aug-2019 13:06 Message #4748092
As long as the police behave in a reasonable manner then stop and search should be increased. Even in schools we are finding more kids carrying knives.
A while ago I had been for a coffee with a friend and as we walked up the High Street a police car pulled over and we were asked if we minded being searched as we fitted the description of two women who had shoplifted some expensive goods. We had no objections and by eliminating ourselves I felt we were helping law and order.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 9-Aug-2019 13:27 Message #4748093
There's a lot of videos online about stop and search...but some of them just get ridiculous....Someone trying to prove a point or something...Antagonising the police...and then not giving their name for instance..and saying things like 'Are you arresting me?'....'under what law?'..

There is another side though I suppose....and that is 'corrupt' police....Only a smaller percent, but it still exists, and if you are on the wrong side of it...then it can be devastating..

In general though, I agree with stop and search...But there are a few things that the videos highlight...that make you more aware....

I generally find though, that if you don't put yourself in a position of 'suspicion'...and just go about your law abiding life as per normal...then you won't be stopped and searched very much, if at all...

The last time I was stopped was over 20 years ago...Driving home from work at 01:00...a sinister pair of cops...but they had nothing to stop me for...They just did it...

It must be a pain in the arse though if you keep getting stopped for no reason...

and should you give your name?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 9-Aug-2019 18:52 Message #4748138
Walking Whilst Black still seems to be a crime in the eyes of many police, do you think that the institutional racism the Met were guilty of for so many years has magically disapeared because some top brass said don't do it anymore? For a lot of law abiding black people, particularly males, being stopped and searched is something that happens regularly, would you take kindly to that, would it seem reasonable to you to be thought of as a criminal based on little more than the colour of your skin? Labour politician David Lammy has complained of being regularly stopped and searched, ok I disagree with him on many things, but that dosen't make what happens to him right.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 9-Aug-2019 19:52 Message #4748153
I work odd hours and I’m often on the streets or driving home in the early hours. I do occasionally get stopped in street and asked where I’m going or where I have been. I get stopped more often when driving and when the police are on high alert the car has been searched.
I don’t mind at all and the police have always been polite so I am also. Sometimes we have a quick chat or a laugh before moving on.
Male
Nigel_In_Devon  Male  Devon 10-Aug-2019 07:00 Message #4748174
Absolutely no issue with stop and search powers, though I did throw my toys out of my pram once when I was stopped several times in a week leaving work and asked to open my briefcase for checking. I refused and told them to open it themselves if they wanted to check it!
Male
omarrk  Male  Middlesex 10-Aug-2019 18:55 Message #4748261
So which gang do you belong to NID? lol

Absolutely no issue with stop and search, anything which helps save young lives should be brought in as soon as possible.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »