Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Bravecto for cats

Side effects?

Female
Siesta09  Female  Essex 7-Aug-2019 22:16 Message #4747867
Hi my vet prescribed Bravecto for my cat (usually use Frontline) and he seems ok in himself - has eaten etc - but is excessively grooming more (all over his body, not at the site where it was applied) - has anyone else experienced this? Have googled it and scared myself to death about the potential side effects!!

Thanks
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 8-Aug-2019 00:22 Message #4747882
I always just used a flea collar, much cheaper and they definitely work.

My pussy never had any fleas, or ticks.
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire 8-Aug-2019 08:27 Message #4747892
Flea collars and frontline are like antibiotics - over time they become less and less effective - also depends on whether your cat is an indoor or outdoor cat.

Bravecto is not only for fleas but also for mites, so is more effective.

Trevor
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Aug-2019 10:53 Message #4747904
Why don't you call the vets and ask them? There are other treatments than spot on's such as frontline, theres a three monthy injection that does fleas and worms. Did you take your cat to the vet? Sometimes this excessive grooming is a stress response so if he was bundled in a box and taken somewhere strange to be poked and prodded it might have discomposed him, cats are strange creatures.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 8-Aug-2019 13:45 Message #4747922
Siesta, do check with your vet asap . Some years ago my 2 cats had an injection which I think was called Stronghold at he time. Both were allergic, one died and the other was very ill.
Female
Siesta09  Female  Essex 8-Aug-2019 19:19 Message #4747971
Hi thanks for the replies - he went to the vet a week or so ago so wasnt a stress response (other being held by me, he is such a fidget) but only put the treatment on last night. Apparently, I looked at the website and that response is quite common as the fleas are going frantic - I didn't think he had many (found 1 or 2 when combing)!?? He is a rescue so wouldn't be aware of previous reactions/responses. He seems ok now though thankfully. Now hoovered and washed everything he lies on !

Am so sorry to hear your sad loss Victoriana, this is devastating and what I was afraid of as he hasn't had this treatment while been with me before.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »