Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Do you like art?

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 6-Aug-2019 08:50 Message #4747665
I like paintings and sculptures and find the talents of the artists inspirational.

Do you like art?

Do you have any favourite works of art?

A favourite painter or sculptor?
Male
flowerpotman  Male  Dumfries and Galloway 6-Aug-2019 08:54 Message #4747666
I like Constable, Gainsborough and Turner.......not into modern art
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 6-Aug-2019 09:04 Message #4747667
I've got a room full of Eleanor Clayforth art.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 6-Aug-2019 09:40 Message #4747669
I buy one off water or oil paintings of coastal West Dorset scenes, often painted by unknown or amateur artists. Maritime locations much further than about 18 miles East. (or 5 miles West), from Bridport Harbour don't interest me but anything within my Truman Show style little local bubble has to be bought if stumbled upon.

Currently, a famous work of J.M.W Turner's depiction of a stricken sailing ship being hauled shorewards by a long rope is on show in my town's museum.

My favourite style of art is what we might now call the 'photo-realistic' style of Pre-Raphaelite art. The Lady of Shalott being my favourite work by John William Waterhouse. (Based on the tragic, poignant, poem of that name by Tennyson.)
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 6-Aug-2019 12:14 Message #4747691
Love it, Peter Brugel the Elder and his returning hunters in winter is one of my all time favourites. Canaletto for painting windows into other places, Carravagio for his use of light and nto being afraid of the dark, his paintings have such depth, I feel like they're almost 3D. I love the brush work of Van Gogh, it gives such movement and theres nothing static, looking at one of his pictures makes you feel that if you looked away for a momment then looked back it would of changed. Like Beach I like the impressionists although its a bit on the romantic side for me.

I'm not a huge sculpture fan, especially classical statuary, but I do like other things like arts and crafts stuff, I like the idea of making everyday objects a work of art. I like a lot of the metal work from that period and the pottery and textiles.

I like modern water colours of sea scapes, as long as they don't have people in them, on the whole I don't like art with people in it especially if they're looking at me, although I find portraiture interesting. I do like textile art, not the samplers of yesteryear but the modern stuff that mixes wool, dyes, silk and differnt materials, I'm in the middle of an attempt of my own at this style.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 6-Aug-2019 13:08 Message #4747694
Coalbrookdale by Night
By Phillip James de Loutherbourg (had to look him up for the spelling) is a painting I've liked for many years, first saw it in Birmingham Art Gallery when I went on a meet with some lovely people from here. The paintings of the birth of industrialisation tell the story in a very memorable way.

Whilst I like painting, I have to admit photography is my main interest, especially the black and whites of Henri Cartier-Bresson and Robert Capa and the Magnum photographers...also who can forget the photographs from the Vietnam war of the little girl burned by napalm running down the road, and the Vietnamese officer executing a prisoner. Perhaps those images shaped my view of mankind....
Quite a lot of university graduates take some really good black and white photographs for their degrees, both portraiture and architecture.

There is a photograph doing the rounds on faecesbook at the moment, of a sculpture I find very accurate, it depicts the pain of a parents feelings of their child dying, it's the outline of a person sat with bowed head and nothing inside....very powerful, and very true.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 7-Aug-2019 13:00 Message #4747816
I like Art. It is a case of I like what I like, rather than individual artists, although I do like some of Jacus' paintings. I have one as my screensaver and one on my livingroom wall (a print, not the original, sadly). Dali is interesting. I like surealist
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 7-Aug-2019 13:52 Message #4747820
I love it - especially my own..... lol .... but I am not getting much time to paint here on the farm.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 7-Aug-2019 16:59 Message #4747837
I like art. Jan Vermeer. Caravaggio. Renoir. I also like sculptures as some of the work is unbelievable difficult.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 7-Aug-2019 17:20 Message #4747839
I recently bought a print direct from Kate Boyce based in Hebden Bridge. It's a Windermere scene of a yacht. I get mixed up between surrealism and impressionist but I just love the colours she uses. She has ME and sometimes struggles to maintain her exhibits. I really fancied an original but it was out of my league but I did get a signed print.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 8-Aug-2019 07:27 Message #4747888
Am reading 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' at the moment, put me in mind of Isaac Asimov and Bi Centenial Man, I'd consider that art. Does anyone else think of literature as art?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 8-Aug-2019 11:27 Message #4747910
I'd agree Terry, but I admot to having problems with what many call literature, literature is so often very worthy and snobbish, its a bit like classical music, its the only music worth be taken seriously and everything else is throwaway rubbish of the musically illiterate. I think books like Do Androids Dream Electric Sheep raise important issues and explore them in ways that mainstream fiction can't.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 8-Aug-2019 19:26 Message #4747973
the only pictures I,ve ever bought were printed copies of Monet,s , I just love his hazy colours
Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 9-Aug-2019 05:57 Message #4748034
I like all types of art from paintings,stone sculptures, iron sculptures to literature and music. People with these talents often fascinate me watching them work.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »