Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Artificial grass.

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 4-Aug-2019 11:02 Message #4747452
How useful is it?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 4-Aug-2019 11:04 Message #4747453
I don't know, I hate it, some people down the road have it in their front garden and it looks awful, worse that concrete.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 4-Aug-2019 12:12 Message #4747463
i dont get it, nature gives us the proper stuff that is fully in tune with its environment and man comes along and thinks he can do better...yeh right !

artificial grass;
could have drainage problems if installed incorrectly.
needs manufacturing which will use energy and processes not good for the environment.
lasts 8-20yrs then what, another artificial product going to landfill ?
dont have a bbq and drop a piece of charcoal on it, it,ll melt !
You need to sweep or spray the artificial grass to remove debris that falls onto the surface. Sanitation of the lawn is also a concern. Everything from blood to your dog's poop contaminate the artificial grass. While contaminants rinse off real grass, synthetic grass doesn't have the same trait.
it doesnt support the natural organisms of life or produce oxygen.

on the plus side...its good for lazy buggers !

yeh im biased, who doesnt like the look/smell of fresh cut grass ! [excepting possible hayfever sufferers?].
thats a point, do hayfever sufferers have lawns ?
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 4-Aug-2019 14:01 Message #4747471
artificial grass
I rather have weeds and dandelions than plastic under my feet. Awful polluting stuff! should be banned. almost as soulless than artificial Christmas trees.

leogirl.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 4-Aug-2019 18:00 Message #4747489
I also think a nice lawn is preferable to an artificial one but I have seen many uses where the artificial one is the obvious choice. Also the a top of the range one will look like grass in most circumstances.
Elderly people with small lawns unable to physically mow. The small garden areas often in front of terraces between house and low wall. Areas for animals and children as the artificial lawn doesn’t get muddy and can easily be hosed down.
A friend of mine has a wonderful looking artificial lawn at the back of his house to a picket fence then the major part of the garden is natural lawn and then wild flowers. It looks good and is all very functional.
Female
Nemesis  Female  Dorset 4-Aug-2019 18:24 Message #4747490
Useful? Not a clue unless you have dogs in which case it seems to be poopular :)
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 4-Aug-2019 23:06 Message #4747521
I have seen a few 4g artificial football pitches, 4g looks just like grass.
A good example would be Buxton fc, perfect pitch every game.

Plus the bonus of renting the facilities, they rent the pitch out, so it helps with
the club finances.

Buxton would be a good example, would be difficult to have a decent grass pitch there.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 5-Aug-2019 07:31 Message #4747537
We have an area with artificial grass at the rear of our offices. It means we can sit outside with clients when it’s a nice day without shoes getting mucky on grass or heels sinking in!
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 5-Aug-2019 08:26 Message #4747540
One of my neighbours, an elderly couple, had an artificial lawn installed in their back garden about 6 years ago. They're able to maintain the area much easier with a quick brush rather than if it had been grass when it would regular cutting and weeding, and it looks as good as the day it was laid, and it will likely outlive them. It was professionally laid with sub-base, weedblock and underlay layers which allows drainage. Far more attractive than the completely paved over back garden in the house the other side of it.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 5-Aug-2019 21:03 Message #4747627
I noticed that they sell it in the carpet shop, when I was there at the weekend.

Not sure how it would look in your sitting room though. :-D
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 5-Aug-2019 21:32 Message #4747630
Maybe It would look okay in your lawnge.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 5-Aug-2019 21:52 Message #4747634
Might not be that good in the bog though....
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 6-Aug-2019 05:23 Message #4747658
There are cheap imitations but the real artificial grass is very realistic. :)

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »