Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

own your home?

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 4-Aug-2019 10:00 Message #4747437
Or are you keeping it until the next person moves in?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 4-Aug-2019 11:34 Message #4747460
eh ?
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 4-Aug-2019 12:32 Message #4747466
You mean "own" in some temporary way, Terry?

ie You'll own it while you are alive but, as you can't take it with you when you die, you pass it on for somebody else to "own" when you pop your clogs?
Female
leogirl  Female  Essex 4-Aug-2019 14:09 Message #4747473
or do you mean ….. would I be terrible upset if I sold my home where I lived in for such a long time to a builder who would knock it down and build some flats on it?

Leogirl.
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 4-Aug-2019 14:52 Message #4747480
I think Terry means owning or renting.
I own mine but it's a never ending round of repairs and improvements.
Always something needing doing, inside and out. Good thing I like DIY.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 4-Aug-2019 14:56 Message #4747482
I have a friend living in social housing who frequently tells me how mad I am to own a house. I hear all about her only having to pick up the phone and all repairs and maintenance are done for free, even her hedge cutting.
I admit she does have a point.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 4-Aug-2019 15:54 Message #4747486
The middle classes struggle to pay their way but are hit from every direction. I think numbers will quickly grow for social housing applications as more people realise it’s an easy option compared to their financial struggles.
Female
wholelottakaren  Female  Lincolnshire 4-Aug-2019 19:32 Message #4747500
If you have a good landlord then renting is ok I suppose. I own mine and yes, repairs are costing me a king's ransom but I know that nobody can put me out of it or start demanding money for it. Should I hit the buffers in my old age, I have something to sell to get me some cash
Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 4-Aug-2019 20:01 Message #4747502
Owning would generally be the best option, if you have dosh...

It doesn't suit everyone, and there are advantages to renting...but owning usually is a good investment..

Some of the boxers I follow, as soon as they get paid for their fight, invest the money in property....Their boxing careers are short, and as they move up the boxing ladder, they earn the decent money to move up the property ladder, and add a new property after every payday....

Terry could also mean the Cohabiting thing as well...Your next partner moves in, and all that...I expect Terry will be back to explain all..
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 4-Aug-2019 20:37 Message #4747503
The question stemmed from talking to someone who had just finished emptying their parents house after they had died. After emptying it the thought occurred to him that this house he had been born in and where his parents had died was now going to be owned by someone else and he asked the question, are we just keepers of our homes until a new family move in?

I thought it an interesting question on it's own, the grief element aside.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 4-Aug-2019 20:58 Message #4747506
I've mentioned it before on here re a female friend of mine who has allowed the struggle of paying off her mortgage dictate her life choices ... for, just about, all of her adult life. What with that and her "weed" habit covering the the same time span, I look at her and think to myself ... "What an utter waste of a whole life".

She's been full of averice and fretting about money all the time and aside from the first hour of speaking to her, she gets lost in a Mary Jane mist with her pot smoking and is away with the fairies the rest of the time. And the only other conversation she enjoys, (or grumbles about), is how much her and her sisters get or are likely to get when her mother passes on!

I said at the start of this that she was my friend, (Ali had been my bestest female friend actually), but a couple of years ago I just decided I'd heard enough whinging and whining so I switched her off completely. (Yes. I'd known her since we were 18 or 19 but I'd finally discovered that I didn't really like the person I was now seeing the true, real, side of for the first time.)

Funny what money and the covetting of money and belongings can do, eh?

SO ... I get the prize then, Terry, for guessing what you were actually talking about in your quizzical thread?
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 4-Aug-2019 21:08 Message #4747508
The man wasn't interested in the money, in fact the proceeds were donated to a charity.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 4-Aug-2019 22:57 Message #4747517
I know what you mean Terry.
I had a family friend that took part in the D-Day landings.
After the war he lived in an area where lots of students lived.
He disliked students, all the noise and commotion.

When he died, the house was sold, and rented to students!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 5-Aug-2019 11:28 Message #4747559
I think we're all custodians, of houses, gardens and the earth in general.

Male
tumbled  Male  Gloucestershire 5-Aug-2019 12:09 Message #4747572
As a bit of an aside...the different sides to Charity shops..

When someone dies...Their clothes are often taken to a charity shop....Clothes that were new, newish, in good condition, good quality etc....The first time in the 80's that I took all my relatives clothes to the shop, it upset me even more than I was already upset, that the nice clothes were now just worth pennies..

The other side is that buying things from a charity shop, means someone else is getting good value...I have done that plenty of times myself, and I'm sure that some of the items must have once been 'owned' by the now deceased.
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 5-Aug-2019 13:13 Message #4747583
I think that it would come down to which is the most cost effective. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy than to rent but I would never buy one on the premise of potentially making a profit or an inheritance.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 5-Aug-2019 13:45 Message #4747586
No-one should feel ashamed of wanting to own property, earn a lot of money or leave an inheritance to their children. We need people of all different financial standings. Rich people buy luxury items paying huge amounts of taxes and bringing about higher and better employment for others. We need people to invest in businesses and schemes which also help everyone even if its sometimes in a roundabout way.
Money doesn’t define the person. It doesn’t define good or bad. Profit is not a dirty word. Most us probably want a bit more money a lot of the time.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 6-Aug-2019 05:24 Message #4747659
A good point Mr Quiet. We often see rich people vilified for being rich as if they should be poor on a matter of principle.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 7-Aug-2019 16:00 Message #4747828
Rented for 45 years, both private and Social. Owned for 5 years 10 months. Mortgage free for 10 months.
It's lovely. Ok, so I have to pay for repairs but with the money I've saved on rent I have changed the shape of my living room and kitchen, got top quality double glazing and can sit and read or watch the world go by in my gorgeous front porch/small conservatory with the new block path , all lovely and level, leading to the pavement. Just about everything that could need repair is covered by insurance.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 7-Aug-2019 16:21 Message #4747830
I was brought up to think the only way was to buy a home. My dad was a mule spinner in a cotton mill before anyone assumes I am middle class, though my grandfather was an engineer and owned two houses but my mother did not inherit them.

Like Aely implies, it is good to be able to make one's own choices on alterations, décor.
Where it comes uncomfortable for me, is feeling I have to protect my adult children in the current unreliable climate and both having lost benefits at some point.

My choice / plan was to buy something small and be mortgage free but technically I was forced into a position of buying a 3 bed house rather than a 1 bed place. I am just fortunate that I have managed to pay into a pension that will pay the remaining mortgage off when I am 66 instead of when I am 70 so I will be £650 a month less going out.

I hope I can knock myself on the head before anyone takes it if I need care in the future as I am buying it solely for my children's security and they don't end up on the streets.

What is unfair, is when people rent, blow in all their earnings, then have nothing so get all their care paid for by the state.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 7-Aug-2019 17:52 Message #4747844
Quite interesting how such a discussion focus's on the financial aspect and personal, short term use.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Aug-2019 18:41 Message #4747847
Whats unfair is that so many can't afford to buy and probably never will or will have mortgages well into retirement, (if such a thing still exists), to many are in a trap of needing somewhere to live within a reasonable distance of where they work, can't afford a deposit and ending spending one salary on rent leaving next to nothing to live on when other bills have been paid.
Female
JustLyn  Female  Cheshire 7-Aug-2019 19:00 Message #4747850
There was an excellent programme on iPlayer by George I think his name is (someone will know who I mean) He does renovations on TV and is now an advocate for Shelter and building sensible social housing, not rabbit hutches.

According to my friend in Sweden, the UK is unusual in our quest to buy and rental in Sweden is more common. He is on a good wage, could afford to buy, but gets such a good deal, he and his wife are comfortable. They get all free heating through underground geyser.

An brilliant example was in Vienna where social housing has been built with gym and swimming pool and also affordable rent.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 7-Aug-2019 19:52 Message #4747854
I wish I had bought a property years ago, now I will be renting until I die.
I know two people who have sold properties in my part of the world and bought much nicer houses further north with the proceeds.
No mortgage and able to retire at 60...lovely jubbly!...
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 9-Aug-2019 10:18 Message #4748061
MrQuiet, But your friend is paying for this work via her rent.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »