Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Jeremy Corbyn

clear favourite

1 2 3 4 Next >  Last >> 

Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 3-Aug-2019 09:25 Message #4747344
Jeremy Corbyn is now clear favourite to be the next Prime minister.
With Jo Swinson clear 2nd favourite in the list I looked at.
Its difficult to predict anything in politics at the moment, other than the demise of Boris.

Anyone have predictions?
Male
Pboro Trevor  Male  Cambridgeshire 3-Aug-2019 10:20 Message #4747346
Jeremy Corbyn will lose his seat at the next election. Apparently support for him in his constituency would put him 3rd in a general election.

Open book on who will be the next prime minister.

Trevor
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-Aug-2019 11:27 Message #4747350
Who know's its so volatile it could be anyone, I do think it will be a coalition though, especially if we see the sort tactical manouvering we saw in Brecon and Radnorshire. The question was being asked on Newsnight last night about a Brexit party Tory coalition to get Brexit through, but whilst there was a lot of waffle what they really didn't want to say was that theres no way you'd get ego's the size of Boris's and Farage's to work together.

Gove, Rudd and a few others are vulnerable too.

I wonder if Johnson will call an election so as parliament will be suspended for campaigning to get him over the Oct 31st deadline? It would be a sneaky way of getting parliament out of the way without proroguing it, but could parliament still ask/agree an extention to article 50 whilst an election is in progress? I think the EU would grant that as they may get a different government to work with, or who'd revoke article 50.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 3-Aug-2019 14:39 Message #4747376
Most polls I've seen now show the Tories ahead.
Personally, I think Corbyn has shot his bolt. his chance has gone, if by some miracle he does become PM, he won't last.
It's not solely Johnson's decision to call an election anyway, two thirds of MP's have got to back it before it can happen...
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 3-Aug-2019 15:29 Message #4747380
If Labour get in it will be with Corbyn as leader but he will be quickly ousted and even while he is leader he will only be the face of Labour and not someone capable of showing authority. He has been in opposition far too long to change now.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 4-Aug-2019 14:12 Message #4747474
Templar2013, Only, in your opinion.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 4-Aug-2019 14:15 Message #4747475
Hierophant, I hope the Tories win the next general election after decades of being in office. I really do want a fully privatised NHS. I think people should begin to pay for their own health care.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 4-Aug-2019 14:30 Message #4747478
That’s all anyone can do Michael. We all give our own opinions. I don’t believe the NHS will be privatised by any party. The privatisation of peripheral services might be the saviour of the NHS and will protect the core aims.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 4-Aug-2019 15:06 Message #4747484
" I really do want a fully privatised NHS."

I notice you never did answer my question about when you thought that would be completed...
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 4-Aug-2019 15:52 Message #4747485
Michaelt. There’s more to life than Corbyn. Why don’t you join in the normal conversations which make up most of the forum? Do you use generic medicines? What do you think of the countries birthrate? Would you ever have fake grass? Knowing a member makes them more interesting.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 4-Aug-2019 20:48 Message #4747504
I've seen too many instances where a certainty has ended up not being the chosen one so I'll hold off until the event.
A better question might be will people change their opinion of how we do politics in this country and get rid of the ones we have in power now. Whilst I accept there will be some who care and some who are honest and not morally corrupt the main ones seem to not be, let's see if the last two or three years have changed our view of politics and politicians.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 4-Aug-2019 21:13 Message #4747510
We don’t see too many honourable or honest senior politicians which is probably due to having to make certain pledges and not being able to keep them and not always being able to say what should be said. That is politics for you.
When Corbyn first appeared there was talk of his refreshing honesty but that has since been disproven and his past should disqualify him from leading this country. Not to mention the anti-Semitism which has raised its ugly head again.
Boris started off as a bit of a clown and has done nothing to change that image. A showman who might be well suited for American politics. I can’t think of anything good to say about him.
If we are judging morals May might well have been our best leader although Brexit and Brexiters soon saw her off. Some battles cannot be won.
I would like to see a change in politics and I have no loyalty whatsoever for the Conservatives but the truth is we have no alternative party which is showing itself to be an improvement.
My personal choice of what is available would be the LibDems, I quite liked Clegg, and I wouldn’t mind seeing them in coalition with the Conservatives again as it was quite a good alliance last time.
Proportional representation? It might be interesting.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 5-Aug-2019 08:40 Message #4747541
Templar2013 , The Tories have already started selling of chunks of it to private interests care of Tory minister Matthew Hancock... You clearly arent aware that the right wing of the Tory party and Government have never believed in the concept of the NHS, they only believe in private health care.

Boris Johnson is already in talks with Donald Trump about this..
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 5-Aug-2019 08:45 Message #4747542
A good point was made earlier about each having our own opinions and that is all it is, our own opinon. Sometimes a poster will try to indoctribnate others with his opinions.
When looking at the bigger picture I believe the Tories will be better for the survival of our NHS than Labour could ever hope to be.

Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 5-Aug-2019 09:01 Message #4747544
When looking at the bigger picture I believe the Tories will be better for the survival of our NHS than Labour could ever hope to be

You are right. History has proven you to be right. The rate of use of non-NHS healthcare was much higher, the growth rate was much higher, under Tony Blair's Labour than it has been under the Conservative and Coalition governments. The proportion of spending on private providers under Labour rose by 75%.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 5-Aug-2019 10:09 Message #4747549
tsunamiwarrior , We are on the brink of an historical general election that will define us a society, and as a nation, it will also define us as people, and all of this interests and concerns me.

Knowing people in general makes them more interesting sometimes, depending what they are talking about ?

I have always been interested in current affairs/politics, because politics effects all of us one way or another.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 5-Aug-2019 10:25 Message #4747551
Knowing people in general makes them more interesting sometimes, depending what they are talking about ?

I agree with tsunami. If a member continually posts the same comments on the same subject over and over,as some do, then readers tend to gloss over or ignore what they have written as they have "heard it all before" so knowing a bit more about that person, away from politics in particular, is important.
Does the person saying we don't do enough, do anything themselves? Does the person complaining about large sdupermarkets do all their shopping in small local shops? Does the person wanting fewer roads built drive a car? it can build up a picture of the person trying to win you over.
Female
bella111  Female  Devon 5-Aug-2019 10:27 Message #4747552
I disagree about Boris, yes he always seemed like a Bufoon but since taking Office
He has done quite well it remains to be seen how he does, but lets give him a chance and not follow like sheep
as do the main media. Also I agree the NHS has always done better under the Tories.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 5-Aug-2019 11:30 Message #4747561
bella111, I read your posting in utter amazement. The NHS is slowly being privatised under the Tories. And Boris Johnson is just another ring wing Tory leader and PM, who is by stealth privatising the NHS.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 5-Aug-2019 11:33 Message #4747562
HotOrWot, Im not interested in making small talk on this or any other site.

This site has a place for serious issues, its called Society ect. This is where I normally post.

If you dont want, or like to read my postings, go somewhere else...

It really isnt rocket science.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 5-Aug-2019 11:37 Message #4747563
Andromeda , I guess the only way some people will ever learn that the NHS is being privatised by the Tories, is experience.

The Labour party gave us the NHS. The Tory party have never believed in its concept..
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 5-Aug-2019 11:40 Message #4747564
Michael. I only replied to your comment.
If you don’t want anyone to reply or comment on your posts then perhaps it should be you who goes elsewhere.
That isn’t rocket science either.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 5-Aug-2019 11:42 Message #4747565
HotOrWot, What history ?.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 5-Aug-2019 11:42 Message #4747566
Also I agree the NHS has always done better under the Tories.

Bella is right. The NHS has always done better under the Tories and the Tory government is our best hope for the future as our political scene stands at the moment.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 5-Aug-2019 11:46 Message #4747567
An NHS had been planned by all parties for years prior to the war but actual plans were not forthcoming. During the war we learned a lot about how to construct that service as new hospitals were being used and worked together nationally due to the number of injured.
It’s an indisputable fact that whichever political party had been in office we would still have had the NHS. It’s disingenuous to state any party never believed in this concept because it is known that ALL parties believed in this concept.

1 2 3 4 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »