Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Going to church

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 2-Aug-2019 16:28 Message #4747302
Are the churches near you well attended? Do you go to church?

Interestingly, more people go to church on Sunday in China than in the whole of Europe.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Aug-2019 18:35 Message #4747309
I've no idea as I'm not a Christian, but theres always a good turn out for funerals.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 2-Aug-2019 20:38 Message #4747319
I’m not religious but I occasionally go to church with friends and family and I find some services interesting and enjoy the singing. I find everyone very friendly. Churches around here are always packed on Sundays.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 2-Aug-2019 21:37 Message #4747322
But then:-
Population of China = 1.386 billion.
Population of Europe = 741 million
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 2-Aug-2019 23:05 Message #4747325
The church has somewhat of an appeal to me. When I moved to this village I promised myself to attend church, give it a go.

Haven't done it yet.

By the time I finish work on a Sunday morning/afternoon, go to gym, get dog walked and so on.... we are talking 12 noon sometimes.

Also, I'm still unsure about what one I'd go to..... is there a Catholic / protestant divide in churches?

Don't know the difference between a chapel, church, and a Baptist church.....
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 2-Aug-2019 23:18 Message #4747328
Population of China 1.386 billion. That’s a lot of people. If you collected one penny from each person you would have .. a lot of money!
If you collected from one person every 10 minutes every day for eight hours you would .. be dead of old age before you could spend it.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 2-Aug-2019 23:21 Message #4747329
I often visit churches, cathedrals and small chapels when I’m travelling in this country and overseas. Some very impressive buildings, fantastic sculptures, interesting stained glass windows and all in a peaceful and tranquil environment.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 3-Aug-2019 02:11 Message #4747334
I’m not sure the church, (or any church claiming to represent any particular philosophy of life), is very good at encouraging us how to live BUT I think the church is very good at dealing with the very serious business of teaching us and preparing us for the business of dying.
Male
badman  Male  Suffolk 3-Aug-2019 06:56 Message #4747339
I'm pretty sure that, if I set foot in a church, I'd spontaneously combust.

The devil and I, we have this arrangement.

He tells me how to do bad stuff with women and, in return, I stay in bed on a sunday morning doing said bad stuff with women therefore, not going to church.

His side of the deal is not really working at the mo. I'll be having words.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 3-Aug-2019 11:35 Message #4747353
Yep there still that divide and in Scotland you've also got the Church of Scotland, protestant with no bishops, the Episcopalian, which is more like the CofE protestant with bishops, hard line protestant like the Wee Free's and all of those in between who maybe more or less born again, happy clappy. Maybe you should try them all and see whats right for you, but be careful not to get sucked by what seems like overwhelming friendliness when you first attend, giving you an instant feeling of community and family is how they recruit.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 3-Aug-2019 13:28 Message #4747371
Only go to Church for weddings, funerals or christening , I was brought up Catholic so my school years were mainly spoilt with religious education,
All the standing up kneeling and sitting was a bit tedious for me, and with most of my Protestant friends condemned to Hell , I thought I may as well join them.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 3-Aug-2019 22:58 Message #4747400
No idea and no.

If you put aside the thought that churches are interesting places to visit, in terms of spirituality, going to church does alleviate you of the need to think it through for yourself. I have always found church services a mix of being deadly boring and being astonished at the bigotry. I'll stick with doing my own thinking, if that's OK.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 3-Aug-2019 23:23 Message #4747402
I often visit churches, cathedrals and small chapels when I’m travelling in this country and overseas. Some very impressive buildings, fantastic sculptures, interesting stained glass windows and all in a peaceful and tranquil environment.

Quite so. It’s when you start listening to the service it goes downhill.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 4-Aug-2019 07:21 Message #4747416
I haven’t heard a church service for many years but I do like churches for the buildings themselves. Amazing architecture.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »