Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

smart t.v.

Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 1-Aug-2019 22:35 Message #4747255
i have a smart tele.

tonight, a banner came up that was worded;
screen mirroring, do you wish to allow galaxy s9 to connect ?

i dont have a s9, or any smart phone.
could it have been someone in the locality trying to hook up ?

ta.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 1-Aug-2019 23:12 Message #4747259
Screen mirroring or casting is a common way of projecting / throwing mobile device media or content such as movies, , (from smartphones or tablets), directly onto a modern household TV though, usually, (as far as I was aware), such an action requires the tethering of said smart device to the TV via their mutually shared internet connection. Tethering usually involves authorising a connection by keying in a one off pin number or code

I guess the TV could have sensed a Galaxy s9 nearby and assumed, (because that's what intelligent technology does nowadays), that it was aiding you by cleverly prompting you to 'sign in' somehow.

Other than that ... I'm puzzled.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 1-Aug-2019 23:18 Message #4747260
"such an action requires the tethering of said smart device to the TV via their mutually shared internet connection. "

thats as i understood it beach.
out of curiosity i pressed to allow the connection, but it just came up with "disconnected".

hey ho...
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 1-Aug-2019 23:38 Message #4747264
Was it a Samsung smart TV, Fosy?

Or rather ... Has your TV got a comprehensive user manual supplied with it?

A quick read of the "tethering" or "screen mirroring / casting" usage might clear up the mystery. :-)

You know what they say ...

If everthing else fails ... read the instructions!!!
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 2-Aug-2019 05:38 Message #4747272
Yes but only as a last resort.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 2-Aug-2019 11:02 Message #4747281
tis indeed a samsung.

in the past i have tried to cast and whilst the tv would recognize the tablet i couldnt get anything on screen, so gave up.
i was trying to follow the on screen instructions.

i think someone was "surfing my waves" ;¬)
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 2-Aug-2019 11:25 Message #4747282
I travel around the country and my iPad often tries to log on to sundry Wifi in nearby shops, offices and public houses including casting to tvs. If the WiFi owner hasn’t got their WiFi to a password it will actually connect up automatically.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 2-Aug-2019 11:37 Message #4747285
Don't forget many businesses and private users share their WiFi as a "hotspot" for all to use.
Personally, I have my smart TV wired to my router via ethernet cable rather than WiFi as I find it more stable and secure.
I have a WiFi analyzer app on my phone, that's interesting to use if you are a geek like me...
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 4-Aug-2019 07:22 Message #4747417
I don’t like any appliance which might be smarter than me. Just in case .....
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 4-Aug-2019 11:24 Message #4747457
mrQ,

are you saying you are appliance free ? ;¬))

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »