Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Now another problem

Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 1-Aug-2019 10:23 Message #4747192
What with the superglue problem earlier, I now have water coming thru the kitchen ceiling - not gushing but dripping enough to need a bowl under it. I have isolated it to one of the upstairs toilets, and its between the floor and ceiling. Himself is at a farm auction and the plumber cant get here till morning so I hope it doesnt start a gush. Not using that toilet now, so thats helping.
Things like this are constantly happening cos its a really old house (13th century), although very lovely

Would you prefer to live in an old house or a very modern one. I have lived in both and each has its own advantages but I still think I prefer old. The one we are trying to buy at moment is only 200 years old but will have to be completely gutted & refurbished.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 1-Aug-2019 11:13 Message #4747202
Really strange cos himself has just come back home - 4 hours early. He had a sort of feeling to come home.... he's upstairs now with the floorboards up.

He NEVER comes home early from an auction..... must have been on my wavelength !
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 1-Aug-2019 11:14 Message #4747203
i like the style of edwardian houses, and houses from the 30,s - 50,s...after that the build quality and amount of land the houses sit on goes down considerably imo.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 1-Aug-2019 11:16 Message #4747204
Or possibly your "Her & His" Smartphones looking after their "Keepers"?
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 1-Aug-2019 11:22 Message #4747206
One of the major problems with very old buildings is FOUNDATIONS - there ain't any other than some large rocks or even boulders in a trench.
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 1-Aug-2019 12:10 Message #4747212
I’ve had a couple of similar leaks both caused by pipes coming loose. One of them formed a pool of water making the ceiling bow and when I poked it down it all flooded over my organ.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 1-Aug-2019 12:15 Message #4747214
I thought that they were kept in Lofts.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 1-Aug-2019 13:55 Message #4747216
persona nonG - flooded all over your organ...... elaborate please, as I dont know if you are being serious or joking.
V x
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 1-Aug-2019 13:56 Message #4747217
Himself has it under control now - he really is like 007 ( or the Cadburys Milk Tray man)....I am so lucky .
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 1-Aug-2019 14:06 Message #4747218
good2BW - I am not sure about the foundations here as its so very old. There is also a large cellar underneath. I think its one of the 3 oldest buildings in Bucks.In the loft the eaves are stained with woodsmoke still from the days when there was an open fire in the centre of the building and animals and humans all lived inside together, later in the Tudor time, all the inglenooks were put in. The upper oak beams are all shaped like trees, still with branches on - no straight beams at all. They really are very old and interesting.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Aug-2019 19:10 Message #4747239
I'm not a fan of new builds, I think this house is about the youngest I've ever lived in, it was rebuilt in the 70's or 80's from a very old foundation, the council stipulated that one and a half original walls had to be kept which has given us some very wide window sills and an uneven kitchen. I did live in a Georgian property once it was lovely but in winter it was freezing, the ceiling hight being so much all the heat congregated at about head hight and above, I wouldn't want to live in one like that again. I am a fan of the Victorian/Edwardian terrace and semi detached, they have good proportions for most things and after so many years of being knocked about are all different.

I'd love to design and build my own house, to my exact specifications, I'd settle for just being able to have a kitchen of my own design.
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 2-Aug-2019 12:07 Message #4747289
Of my last three houses, one was Victorian, built 1879, one was 1954 and the one I'm in now I believe to be late 20s early 30s. I've actually liked all of them and they all had their pros and cons. The oldest I managed to obtain a housing grant and had a lot of the bad things put right; it was difficult to heat until my husband installed a big boiler and 10 radiators but it had 10 ft ceilings. and 19 stairs to the bedrooms The second was an ex council property and had been very well maintained and had had two owners before me. This one has seemingly endless jobs to be done but I like DIY so I don't mind. I seem to spend my life sawing, sanding, patch plastering, painting and staining. Ahh such is life!
Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 2-Aug-2019 14:21 Message #4747293
Hi V. Yes it did burst through the ceiling and flooded the electric organ below. I whipped off all the casing and dried it off with a hairdryer and left it in a warm room for about a week before switching it on.
Switched it on and .... worked ok !!!
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 2-Aug-2019 18:42 Message #4747313
Wow, go Blue Poppy, a frozen shoulder stops me from most DIY these days, I couldn't even finish painting the kitchen.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »