Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

More mass shootings in the U.S.A

... but, somehow, everyone, (except the victims), moves on fairly speedily

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 29-Jul-2019 17:12 Message #4746751
OK. Perhaps few of us can comprehend what 330 million Americans represents as a unit or amount we might get our heads around. (I’ve come up with the new Wembley stadium being filled to capacity 3, 666 times but, whatever measure we use, America must be a big, big place because ...

USA Gun Violence Archive 2019 (So far)

America has had 31,960 gun violence incidents so far this year.

Here are some other, appalling, facts.

Midsummer's text editor won't allow me to create neat tabulated figures do you get bold, highlighted, text instead.

Number of gun violence deaths so far this year. 08443
Number of gun violence injuries. 16,707
Number of children killed or injured. 000373
Number of teens killed or injured. 01,726
Mass shootings (I had to double check this figure). 00246
Police officers shot or killed. 00176
Suspects shot or killed. 01,161
Home Invasion. 00995
Defensive use. 00850
Unintentional Shooting. 00898

And we might say to ourselves, wow, thank goodness we don’t live in America but if I go back to 2017 (for accurate UK gun crime figures for that year), there were 6,604 gun related incidents in the UK.

Now. I’m rubbish at maths but, (if we disregard those couple of years difference), with the UK being a fifth the population of the USA, it seems that per head of population, we Brits are as gun crazy as the Americans because 6,604 UK gun crimes in a population of 65 million is comparable with 31,960 USA gun crimes in a population of 330 million Americans … isn’t it?

The most shocking figure in the USA Gun Violence Archive is the number of mass killings.

246 this year already. (More than one a day?)

Me? I’m glad I live in the UK … out in the sticks when compared to the concrete and steel of many large towns and cities.

Nope. Haven’t got a question or anything. I just thought the awful American statistics were worth sharing.

I guess, if we needed some focal point on this subject, we might state that it is ridiculous for an American President to diss the UK’s / London’s crime figures when his own continent is slaughtering each other, en mass, every single day of the week, every week ongoing!
Female
Mumsie  Female  Warwickshire 29-Jul-2019 17:37 Message #4746753
Don't forget it is a much bigger country than the UK many more millions of people there , so these statistics are going to look pretty bad

Here it seems to be the youth, are more into gangs and knife attacks

Sadly the way the world is moving. life is worth nothing , when you have a deranged armed person running around, for whatever reason , he / she (rarely so ) set out on this rampage .
Many of the USA government have personal money invested in arms, shops selling guns , and the internet . A sad , sorry wicked world we live in now

Don't know which newspaper you got all the figures from
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 29-Jul-2019 18:28 Message #4746760
Hi Mumsie,

Yes. I mentioned the comparisons, (above), in my original post. Comparisons that suggest, for head of population, that the UK and America are no longer distanced, statistics wise, when it comes to gun violence. (That's my deduction, not something I've read).

I picked up this story, Garlic festival shooting: Three dead in Gilroy California, from the BBC website today and this sentence said “It was the 246th mass shooting in the US this year”, according to US tracking website Gun Violence Archive. (Which was a web link.)

The link took me to gunviolencearchive.org which, I believe, is a respected, fact checker, style website that tracks gun violence in the U.S.A.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 29-Jul-2019 18:40 Message #4746761
I'm glad we don't have easy access to guns and despite the figures I suspect many people in this country have never seen, let along fired a real gun. What I think is a fairly unique American thing is the mass shootings, I know we've had a couple of nutters in the UK, but they do seem well outside the norm of UK violence, I can't get my head around what makes someone decide to get up one day and go out and shoot a load of strangers. To me it seems similar to a terrorist mindset but wthout the cause, at least terrorists have a cause even if its full of twisted logic and derangment, these mass killers seem to have no cause, except their own impotence.

Whilst we're on figures of violence, about 5 women a month are murdered by their partners or ex partners, thats a statistic that dosen't get enough coverage in the media or from government.
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 29-Jul-2019 18:52 Message #4746763
Beach - 29-Jul-2019 17:12

Your figure of 6,000+ for the UK includes imitation firearms and of these there are 1,400 (approx) BB type guns. Also included, but a far smaller number, are deactivated firearms, starting pistols and pepper sprays. I think the USA figures may be for injuries and deaths, not just perception of a firearm being involved.

I would also like to direct your to attention to the figures themselves, the USA figures are for 2019 TO DATE, the UK figures are for a full 12 months.

SQL
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 29-Jul-2019 18:53 Message #4746764
Woudn't it be nice, Hen, if there were official upbeat, good news, style headlines and statistics we could readily access ... to counter, what tends to feel like the constant, drip, drip, drip of worrisome news.

God. 5 women murdered ... what? ... Every month??!!

That's horrific in itself.

Nevertheless, I'm sure, for every one piece of bad news, there must be millions of little acts of kindness or human interactions that bring joy and happiness to millions more.

Trouble is ... We don't get to know about every one of those events although, (one good thing about social media), occasionally, the world goes nuts on Youtube over a cat falling backwards off a table or a hamster being thrown / launched into low earth orbit from its wonky spinning hamster wheel. :-)
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 29-Jul-2019 19:10 Message #4746768
Thanks SQL.

Comments regarding imitation / BB guns etc noted.

I did state that the figures for the UK and USA were a couple of years apart and that my maths wasn't good ... but yes, you are correct, (and right), to point out my flawed assessment. (I think I also made it clear it was my own observations and that I hadn't read my deductions anywhere else).

And no. I hadn't worked out or noticed that, as you correctly point out, one figure was an annual one and the other was still ongoing. Based on that point alone, the USA is going to double the figure I quoted by the end of the year? ... and that would mean that UK gun crime was not on a par with the USA.

That's good. I can accept (and apologise for) my flawed thinking. :-)

It was the mass shooting figure of 246 that inspired this thread. (A figure I just couldn't believe).
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 29-Jul-2019 20:40 Message #4746778
Beach 29-Jul-2019 19:10

Basically, you have grossly mis-represented any comparison between US/A and UK.

SQL has pointed out many of your calumnies (T Y, SQL) but by no means all of them.

Might it be suggested that in future before posting scaremongering mock data you at least reconcile the truth with your attempts to pander to Mr Tumps bare-faced lies?
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 29-Jul-2019 20:41 Message #4746779
Beach 29-Jul-2019 19:10

Basically, you have grossly mis-represented any comparison between US/A and UK.

SQL has pointed out many of your calumnies (T Y, SQL) but by no means all of them.

Might it be suggested that in future before posting scaremongering mock data you at least reconcile the truth with your attempts to pander to Mr Tumps bare-faced lies?
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 29-Jul-2019 20:53 Message #4746782
Might it be suggested that in future before posting scaremongering mock data

Might it be suggested? Is that a cowardly and gutless way of saying it is your suggestion?
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 29-Jul-2019 22:13 Message #4746823
I thought I'd already blocked that tiresome c%%t.

Well I have now anyway.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 29-Jul-2019 22:23 Message #4746826
More mass shootings in the U.S.A
... but, somehow, everyone, (except the victims), moves on fairly speedily.

An indication of the insensitivities common in Sociopaths and Rhinos.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 29-Jul-2019 22:26 Message #4746828
But to clarify;

I made it quite clear in one paragraph that I was struggling with the figures when I wrote;

Now. I’m rubbish at maths but, (if we disregard those couple of years difference), with the UK being a fifth the population of the USA, it seems that per head of population, we Brits are as gun crazy as the Americans because 6,604 UK gun crimes in a population of 65 million is comparable with 31,960 USA gun crimes in a population of 330 million Americans … isn’t it?

And yes ... I ended with a question mark, didn't I?

Meaning; I was asking for some clarification ... which SQL quite swiftly provided.

and I swiftly acknowledged my flawed observations.

Fascinating though, that the troll dashed in quite swiftly to get his dose of Schadenfreude.

F%%K sake.

He's winning, isn't he. :-(

He's actually making this site such hard work that it is becoming an unpleasant place to visit.
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 29-Jul-2019 23:11 Message #4746839
Beach - 29-Jul-2019 22:26

He's actually making this site such hard work that it is becoming an unpleasant place to visit.

Well I don't see it that way, I find it easy to just ignore every posting he submits. He is completely unable to justify any of his outlandish and/or bizarre claims. Just manages to parrot utter tripe that even a reasonably competent person can see is delusional.

I admit I give him a push now and then and the result is always the same - it certainly makes me chuckle when I see him squirm or just disappear when he realises he just lost completely.

SQL

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 30-Jul-2019 10:14 Message #4746874
Just block the trolls, its easy, double block them so as you can't see them and they can't see you, life on the site is so much pleasanter now and ignore them when they read something offline and then come onto the site and comment. Don't go on their posts either and post, you'll only be fuelling the outrage and attention these types want, if you don't like the game, don't play.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 31-Jul-2019 22:12 Message #4747150
It's OK now, Hen.

I just had a funny five minutes. But thanks. :-)
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 31-Jul-2019 22:15 Message #4747153
And yes, SQL, you're absolutely right.

I did thank you in a roundabout way on another thread where I mentioned that your advice had helped ... but thanks again. :-)
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Jul-2019 22:19 Message #4747154
At last, you've come off your fence, at least for the moment.

You are related to the Vicar of Bray?
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 31-Jul-2019 22:45 Message #4747157
Vicar of Bray? Firearms? Connection?
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Jul-2019 23:20 Message #4747164
Beach 29-Jul-2019 22:26

Post hoc rationalization now your blatant bluff has been called, again.

No wonder you get rattled and have to resort to "Strong language" and ad hominem abuse.

If you don't like being challenged when you post figures designed to hoodwink others into believing your weekend hippy illusions, then may I commend a fellow animal's advice, to you

Get on yer £5 000 e-bike
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 31-Jul-2019 23:25 Message #4747166
Beach does have a car now.
What happened to your car G2B?
I think it was a Volvo?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 31-Jul-2019 23:29 Message #4747167
g2bw,

are you man enough to offer a public apology, by means of a stand alone thread, to the member you used a racist remark to ?
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 31-Jul-2019 23:52 Message #4747172
"Gottle-a-Gear"?

You are well aware, simperer, that my use of the term was NOT racist, nor was it judged racist despite your desperate lobbying to get it designated so.
It's a chuckle that so many people who but a few years ago were vying with each other to tell the most HATE filled tale are now trying equally as desperately to prove how "PC" they are.
What they can't avoid is leakage of their previous anxiety +/ need to conform disorders.

Late Convert's Syndrome
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 1-Aug-2019 06:07 Message #4747179
Fosy is right and you G2BW are not man enough to apologise for your racist comment.

Racist Troll Syndrome
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 1-Aug-2019 10:19 Message #4747190
I read something interesting and frightening today, that a majority of terrorists and mass killers have records for domestic violence, the author mentioned it to a senior police officer who was shocked at the research and went back and asked Scotland Yard anti terrorist officers about it and was told they don't record that sort of information.

1 2 3 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »