Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

And the next PM

is

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 23-Jul-2019 12:07 Message #4745980
Boris Johnson with twice as many votes as Hunt.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 23-Jul-2019 12:15 Message #4745982
I love his passion and energy, we need to bring the country back to life.
Will he survive, will he succeed? Nobody knows, but watching him face Corbyn at PMQ's will be fun at least...
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 23-Jul-2019 12:27 Message #4745983
I'm loving it, watching all the Cabinet ministers jumping ship before they are sacked. What did they expect ?. they have been knifing him in the back.
It will be interesting to see who is in his new cabinet.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 23-Jul-2019 12:54 Message #4745984
Not a happy day for the Conservatives or the country. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see Boris doing much or lasting very long. The Brexiteers will possibly be relieved to have someone supportive onboard.

Although Brexit is an important issue, whether for or against, if the country has a good, strong and innovative leader capable of talking to other leaders around the world intelligently then we be a successful country in or out of the EU. A much more important issue is the people who seem to have been forgotten amongst the hype and insults. The people who have to carry on after Brexit. The people who are relying on a leader to lead.

As with any leader these days he will have some resign and some stay which is no big deal as long as he can retain those who will be beneficial to the country as well as sucking up to a leader.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 23-Jul-2019 13:21 Message #4745987
We seriously needed something to happen, to move the country on, we can't keep dithering and arguing over Brexit. Either we do it or we don't.
I didn't have a problem with May really but the steam had run out for her, a new PM will breath new life into the role, at least to begin with.
Whether he delivers Brexit and goes on to be a great PM or is a total failure who falls after a few months, is anybody's guess.
I'm still not convinced Brexit will definitely happen but something had to change...
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 23-Jul-2019 13:26 Message #4745989
I would say its a happy day for the conservatives & the country. We now have someone who will get far more support than TM. I think her heart was in the right place but she had no support from her own side. Boris is a much stronger personailty, and think he will put his money where his mouth is. He will take no prisoners and will keep Corbyn in his place.

BJ's non supporters dug their own graves anyway. Good to get them out now without having them drag the party down. We now want positive people who get things done & I think we will get it with BJ.

My worry at the moment is the Iran oil tanker crisis. I think this is far more serious than we all think.

Each time ,over the years, that a new PM is elected, there has been a major crisis almost immediately they have been sworn in, which has dragged the government down. I remember the Seamans strike, the Suez disaster, the Gulf problems, Falklands , not to mention the endless miners strikes etc. I just hope it wont be a major Iran crisis this time.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 23-Jul-2019 13:32 Message #4745992
I'm happy with Mr J if he can thwart the saboteurs and deliver Brexit. Once that is accomplished we shall have to give it a little time before we (the people) decide if we want to keep him. Who knows, he might pleasantly surprise us.
Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 23-Jul-2019 13:48 Message #4745996
I wonder how much time will pass before parts of the media label Mr Johnson and his American counterpart "Dumb and Dumber"?

As for some folk in general, (and one individual on here who aspires "to be a Tory" but doesn't have the cash or resources to fully qualify), I'd invite them to take in and enjoy this final Conservative swansong because, IMHO, the Tories are unlikely to get back into power for years if not decades after they get slaughtered at the next general election, whenever that spectacle is likely to take place.

I'm guessing that, approx, 50% of the existing Tory party membership, (and millions of Tories represented by the great unwashed), will migrate to Mr Farage's Brexit party at the next election.

Meanwhile, I'm just going to treat the Johnson premiership as a kind of amusing warm up act ... in anticipation of the real political show that will play out over the next several months.

But cover your ears.

The cursing is about to begin. :-)
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 23-Jul-2019 13:56 Message #4745997
I don't see either of them as dumb but watching their behaviour it wouldn't take much for the Dumb and Dumber label to become popular.

I also don't see why you believe the Tories to be the wealthy party or that the poor don't vote Tory as I don't think either of these represent today's society.

I do think this could be the end of the Tories for a very long time.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 23-Jul-2019 14:14 Message #4745999
"As for some folk in general, (and one individual on here who aspires "to be a Tory" but doesn't have the cash or resources to fully qualify)"

Lol I wonder who that could be?...
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 23-Jul-2019 17:14 Message #4746008
I'm glad...he deserves it...in my opinion...There's much more to him than some people think...

He was streets ahead in the elimination voting, and streets ahead at the end...

It's his turn now...I hope he makes the most of it...Nobody is going to keep everybody happy...but we will see what he can do...
Female
Blue-Poppy  Female  East Yorkshire 23-Jul-2019 17:50 Message #4746011
Am I alone then in thinking this will be a total disaster?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 23-Jul-2019 18:45 Message #4746014
No Poppy you're not, he can talk a good game, but he's not so good at delivering and I can't see Europe being impressed with all the bluster, theres still the same numbers in parliament and many of them are deeply unhappy and are quite willing to cause trouble from the back benches. I don't think he'll last very long, the parliamentary arrithmatic dosen't support a no deal, for all the people who love him there are those who hate him, I guess it will depend on who he appoints to his cabinet and if he listens to them.

I think, unlike GF that there will be 4 national parties contending in parliament, undoubtedly some will be from the Brexit party, but I think the LibDems will make huge gains as those closer to the centre flee the conservatives and labour. Coalition governments will be the future.

Trump seems to think of Boris as a mini-me and the more he talks that up the harder it will be for Boris internationally as many will think his and Trumps agendas are the same, I think Boris will have to say something quite strong and public on Trump and the US to be seen as independent.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 23-Jul-2019 19:00 Message #4746017
I see Corbyn has added absolutely nothing as leader of the opposition by saying nothing other than to demand a general election - then he hasn't got the balls to table a vote of confidence which would probably lead to one.
And Jo Swinson calling for a second referendum says the Lib Dems won't accept the result if the people vote to leave again - let's hope Boris Johnson actually does what he says he will, we need something...

Male
Beach  Male  Dorset 23-Jul-2019 20:42 Message #4746024
I concur with Hiero.

Something needs to be done. Something actual, something tangible, something concrete ... because, I'm guessing/sensing that ALL sides have become battle weary and worn out by the treading of water that has been a constant characteristic of negotiations thus far.

Today, I heard, (yet again), Mr J. R. Mogg expressing his admiration for Mr Johnson's charismatic appeal but while that particular leadership quality might have been in vogue in the 1st, 5th or 10th century, (where such passion could infect and encourage a marauding hoard of loyal warriors to gloriously rape, pillage and murder in their beloved chieftain's name), I'm not quite so sure that the Johnson charisma of this 21st century is even a tool fit for purpose in a world where such rhetoric is drowned out by echoes of an opposing opinion inside 2 minutes of being fielded, caught or bowled back with spin online.

I'm no historian but I think we are (all) living inside a pocket or period of history that we are far too close and intimate with to even gauge, see or understand properly.

I think that in a hundred years or so, historians will view this period of the 21st century as representing some paradigm shift in culture where the internet, social media and profound changes worldwide led to a relatively stable period of history abruptly coming to an end ... to be replaced with ... (pause) ... well, God only knows.

I was tempted to pause my prose right here a moment ... to dash online to refresh my memory of some of the great sentences, new paragraphs or full stops of ancient history where the likes of us, today, recognise where great shifts in social. military or scientific change actually occurred. (Hannibal's elephants and the Alps, the battle of Carthage, the Renaissance of 1300 - 1600, the rise of Hitler ... that sort of thing.)

With more time / research, I'd probably come up with better examples but I'm sure you follow my drift.

But ... I'll stick to the thread topic and just say, "OK. Lets just go with the flow. Lets continue the businessman running America experiment and lets see how a very well educated clown like character such as Mr Johnson actually does in his days, months or however long his hand will stay on the rudder of Great Britain LTD.

Remember. I'm an inventor and I like chaos ... and I like the extra-ordinary opportunities that all left-field ideas or original thinking manifests. However, I'm just not so sure we should be conducting these Trump / Johnson social experiments outside of a lab where a, potential, 7.7 billion population of earthlings get to play at being white mice in a maze.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 23-Jul-2019 20:47 Message #4746025
Why is everyone so negative - we need a bit of positivity here... perleeese.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 23-Jul-2019 21:16 Message #4746027
Time will tell, we,ll see what happens in three months lol
In the mean time, I,ll enjoy life lol as usual
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 23-Jul-2019 21:24 Message #4746028
"Why is everyone so negative - we need a bit of positivity here... perleeese."

Oh I'm feeling positive - all the liberal lefties have gone into meltdown today so that's put a big smile on my face... lol
Female
Judance  Female  Berkshire 23-Jul-2019 21:32 Message #4746029
Sorry, V, but I can find nothing positive about having Boris in no 10.
I listened to some of the interviews and found that BJ never answered a question. He evaded when pressed and, what's more, he constantly interrupted the questioner. He irritated me so much I had to switch him off.

I'm sure he can motivate a crowd, but I see a self-promoting idiot in the White House and a Buffoon in No 10 .. doesn't bode well for the future, in my opinion.

I would, however, love to be proved wrong
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 23-Jul-2019 21:52 Message #4746030
Politics being politics, there's going to be doom-mongers coming at it from all angles...

Think of what Trump has had to put up with...and in many people's eyes he is doing ok...more than ok...really well, considering all the stick..

Boris will get the same type of treatment from his detractors...and no matter how many good things he does, most of those detractors will still pile on the stick...

It comes with the job...for some more than others, but there are always doom-mongers around, no matter what...
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 23-Jul-2019 23:47 Message #4746035
I'll just never understand people.
Might be interesting to read the posts over the next twelve months.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 24-Jul-2019 07:12 Message #4746038
Me neither terry.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 24-Jul-2019 11:18 Message #4746073
Clicked on BBC newweek last night and they were doing a hatchet job on Boris and then LBC on the radio where they were doing the same.
Poor old media has got its knickers in a twist because they didn't get the one they wanted.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 24-Jul-2019 11:23 Message #4746075
If the media believe Johnson is a good thing for the country they should say so but if they believe he is rubbish they have no reason to lie.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 24-Jul-2019 11:29 Message #4746079
Trouble is the media do a hatchet job on everybody and do their best to divide and cause trouble.
If Corbyn found himself in number 10 (god forbid) the media would do the same - if we want the country to come back together, the media have got to play a part, whoever is PM...

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »