Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Check your dryer

Is it one of recall models?

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 22-Jul-2019 19:02 Message #4745936
The Whirlpool website seems to be down, but our dryer is one of the faulty ones, I'm so glad checked as Mum insisted that it was to old, its probably to old to be worth much, but I'd rather not have a house fire. Ours gets stuck with 10 minutes to go every now and then and you can smell the laundry scorching, we never use it at night or while we're out and I wonder if thats how some of the fires started? Mind you some of them seem to catch fire even when they're not in use.

I think Whirlpool have behaved very badly over this, they've only now issued a complete recall even though they've know of the problem for at least a couple of years now.

The makes effected include creda, hotpoint, proline, don't assume that yours isn't affected because its not a whirlpool make they own numerous brands.

Now we'll just have the fun of trying to contact them.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 22-Jul-2019 20:48 Message #4745945
I think the manufacturers have been criminal in their negligence towards the owners with dangerous appliances.
Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 22-Jul-2019 21:48 Message #4745947
It's about time. There have been hundreds of fires and they have totally refused to take responsibility until now. We could have another Grenfell.

Thankfully I don't have to worry. My dryer in dry weather is a line in the garden. In wet weather it is racks hung on my radiators.
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 22-Jul-2019 22:19 Message #4745952
Everything is made disposable now, not made to last, as they used to say buy cheap buy twice, now its made cheap to dissolve quickly
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire 23-Jul-2019 07:38 Message #4745964
Whirlpool, originally Philips as I recall
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 23-Jul-2019 11:20 Message #4745974
Whirlpool, originally Philips as I recall

I think your recall is off. Whirlpool is US, Philips is Dutch.

This problem has been around since 2015 when safety warnings about tumble dryers were published on the Indesit and Hotpoint websites. Customers were advised that “In some rare cases, excess fluff can come into contact with the heating element and present a risk of fire.”
Condensers and vented tumble dryers sold under the brands Hotpoint, Indesit, Creda, Swan and Proline and manufactured over an 11-year period between April 2004 and September 2015 present a fire risk.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 28-Jul-2019 11:55 Message #4746621
We ordered a new dryer yesterday and its just arrived, still no word from whirlpool about whats happening about our old one, so I'm going to stick it in the garage for a bit. Its just started to rain so I'm glad to have a dryer again, (when I've installed it), in winter when the heatings on its easier to dry stuff with no dryer, but in summer it can sit there and go smelly and horrible.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »