Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Retirement

Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 20-Jul-2019 08:01 Message #4745667
For me, it's brilliant. That being able to walk 'round town without feeling guilty, being able to - within reason - be able to choose what and when I do stuff and lots more.

Are you retired? are you enjoying it? what about it do you enjoy? what about you young 'uns still working, are you jealous? do you feel young? are you waiting for retirement?

Ahhh, whatever, it's a saturday morning and a grand day, I'm off for a pot of tea.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 20-Jul-2019 08:15 Message #4745671
Im at an age where my friends are divided between workers and retirees. Those who have retired seem very happy and often doing things or going places during the week and I do envy them at times.
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 20-Jul-2019 10:06 Message #4745678
I think I may well end up working until I drop. I'm not quite ready to retire yet. I want to get my house straight and I want to do a bit more travel. Then it will be a case of waiting until I have an income that I can live on without working. Realistically, it may be a case of working reduced hours, in a couple of years time instead.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 20-Jul-2019 15:17 Message #4745717
I have mixed feelings, part of me would love to be retired but the other part wouldn't.
It's fine if you have the resources to do stuff - about 10 years ago I was unable to work for four years due to ill health and the novelty of not working soon wore off.
The worst thing was having lots of free time but little money to do anything with it - spending time indoors unable to do a lot actually drove me nuts and was one of the most depressing periods of my life.
It might suit some people but if walking up to the newsagent to buy a newspaper is the highlight of the day then I'd rather not.
To do the sort of stuff I want to do requires time and money, so retirement would need to provide both if possible.
But hey ho, I'm only 53, by the time I reach my mid 60's I might be more than ready to potter about at home watching re-runs of Allo, Allo..
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 20-Jul-2019 15:50 Message #4745723
I could have retired but chose to work part time which gives me plenty of free time and a small income to help pay for it.
Male
SQL  Male  Devon 21-Jul-2019 18:04 Message #4745891
Ask anyone I know locally and they will confirm I am VERY retired, it couldn't come soon enough for me. I retired just short of 65, I could have retired earlier but my ex did what she could to prevent it.

I have enough money to do everything I want, just not enough time in each day to complete very much.

SQL
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 21-Jul-2019 18:25 Message #4745892
I was lucky to be able to retire at 55 and I love every minute of it.

From the age of 5 your life is governed by a alarm clock so the first thing I did was throw that in the bin.
Funny how when upon retirement they always give you a clock and yes I got one.
Now I don't even know what day of the week it is without looking it up, or the date. Every day is a weekend.
Trouble is the older you get the faster time flies.
I get up and go to bed when I feel like it and have a nap in between sometimes.
Of course the downside is more aches and trying to avoid the quacks who seem to want to put me on more and more pills.
Female
honeybun06  Female  Derbyshire 21-Jul-2019 18:42 Message #4745894
I took voluntary redundancy six years ago just before my 57 birthday. Best thing I ever did. Quite sure that if I hadn’t taken that opportunity I’d have been hounded out as too old and too expensive.

I’ve not had one moment of regret. Life has changed so much in that time. Three grandchildren, a wonderful husband and I cannot imagine being any happier. :-)
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 22-Jul-2019 10:31 Message #4745914
It’s a busy life when retired. Family and friends to visit or go out with. I always seem to be doing something.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 22-Jul-2019 19:33 Message #4745940
No, I'm not jealous, not of every retired person.

The old fellas I meet walking the dog, who have been retired for years, some of them, all they talk about is their work. If anything, I think they are jealous of me still working lol.

I see a small huddle of older men outside the Scotmid in my village, obviously retired, they congregate outside the shop at 05:45, waiting for it to open. From my point of view it seems like they get up early, to show off they aren't in bed all day...

My dad retired at 70, since March he has spent 8 weeks in Austrailia, been a weeks trip to Blackpool and Mallaig, and if off back to Blackpool in September. He is off out every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday night's with his friends... whilst I'm working nights.

At 31, I can't see me getting to retire until I drop to the ground, my retirement will be the time spent on the floor, whilst I wait for an ambulance to come, and charge me, just to put me out of my misery.

In the next 40 years, as a white man, life is going to be incredibly tough. I get 5% of my wages took from me, towards my pension, retirement age is 68, will it stay there for 40 years? Not a chance! And it's that far away, it's not really worth thinking about.

People like my dad, had to work very hard physically in the day, so it's nice to see them having some enjoyment.
Female
Victoriana11  Female  Buckinghamshire 22-Jul-2019 20:09 Message #4745942
We are both retired, but you wouldnt think it. We get up at 5.30-6.00 each day and always run out of time. Our relaxation time is going to auctions and CB sales at weekends , sometimes selling a few things. We have barns loaded with farm marchinery & stuff so there is always someone here. It was a stud farm until 2 years ago then the stud stallion died (32), so now we let another farmer put his sheep here - its far less worry & responsibility , they keep the fields in good order & I love it when the lambs come along. There are about 5-600 at the moment and can be very noisy, but its comforting at night somehow. We still have chickens and cats & dog. When I worked, most of the time I did 3 jobs and also helped to run a very active singles club , life was very hectic - it still is, but different.,,, and there are not enough hours in the day. I never sit down.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 26-Jul-2019 06:29 Message #4746354
We are both retired, but you wouldnt think it. We get up at 5.30-6.00 each day and always run out of time.

Throughout most of my life I have said I could do with 30 hour days and 10 days each week.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 26-Jul-2019 22:19 Message #4746479
i retired at 48...loving it !!
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 27-Jul-2019 00:49 Message #4746499
" We have barns loaded with farm machinery and stuff ".

My idea of heaven Vic lol.

Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 27-Jul-2019 06:33 Message #4746501
I retired about ten years ago and spent the first year travelling and generally chilling out. I’ve never enjoyed sitting around for long periods ... can’t understand why anyone would lay on a beach or by a pool drinking all day. The second year I spent more time visiting galleries and museums and taking my grandchildren places. The third year I spent gradually doing a bit more work and I now work or play depending what comes along. I’m lucky that my work often takes me to Italy so it can be a bit like a holiday too but I never want to retire completely as I enjoy all aspects of my life too much.
Female
Sea Urchin  Female  Essex 27-Jul-2019 09:25 Message #4746508
Yes, I could be called retired but would much rather say that I am no longer employed by others. Retired, seems to conjure up being put out to grass and not doing anything, whereas I lead a very full and active life. I believe that when you lose somebody close to you, it makes you realise just how short and fragile life is and just to do things while you can. I didn't want to look back on life and say all I had achieved was being stressed at work. I downsized my house and shortly after just handed in my notice. Such a relief not having anybody telling me when I could and couldn't take holidays etc. I may have been financially worse off but emotionally so much better. I can now go where I like when I like and it does not need to cost a lot of money, as do things on quite a tight budget. Just glad I managed to explore Australia and New Zealand when the exchange rate was so much higher, but I took a small tent and camped or stayed in backpackers. Have been various places but in recent years discovered Indonesia where you can stay in luxury for very little money. I also joined a house sitting site a couple of years ago, where I can pick and choose where I may like to stay. I don't get paid but accommodation free and am choosing the best, one being six weeks in Oz with swimming pool and free use of car to go where I liked, just one small dog to walk on the beach each morning. I tend to spend summers here but then hardly at home, as go off camping, house sitting and visiting various small music festivals. But when at home there are always things to do on the house and meeting up with my daughters and family and grandchildren. I am definitely kept busy.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »