Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Do school holidays affect you?

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 14-Jul-2019 08:13 Message #4745012
A long school holiday coming up soon. Does affect you?
Are you having time off work. Babysitting grandkids. Noticing everywhere busy. Noisy kids in the streets. More expensive holidays abroad?
Or oblivious!
Female
twinkle2  Female  Hertfordshire 14-Jul-2019 09:05 Message #4745021
The roads are much quieter. A new splash park has opened in a big park near me so if the weather's good I think they'll all be in there.
Female
Aurora1962  Female  Tyne and Wear 14-Jul-2019 10:01 Message #4745030
When the schools are off my drive to and from work takes half the time it normally does - it's fantastic!! :-)
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 14-Jul-2019 10:28 Message #4745037
It always seems like schools are off more now than when I were a lad...They only seem to go back for a few weeks, and then they are off again...

It's probably just one of those illusion things...
Female
Minnie-the-Minx  Female  Hertfordshire 14-Jul-2019 10:44 Message #4745041
Yes, hours and hours and days and days of the two noisy brats two doors away knocking ten bags of shit out of each other all day long and their banshee of a mother shrieking at them every 5 minutes.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 14-Jul-2019 13:25 Message #4745069
Yes we have herds of tourists thinking that because they're here for a few days they own the place, the roads are crowded, public spaces end up strewn with litter and waste and the inevitable reports of livestock injuries and killings from dog attacks. Over easter a neighbour told me he's seen a bloke pick up is dog and put it in a field where a horse lives because the horse didn't want to come up to him, he wanted the dog to get the horse for him, the horse was panicking about the dog being in the field with her. My neighour shouted at the bloke to get the dog out of the field, but the dog wasn't listening, so the bloke decided to put his other dog in the field to get the first dog out. My neighbour shouted at him again and luckily the first dog came back, The horse is usually quite placid and friendly but any horse is quite capable of killing a dog, a couple of good kicks and the dog is dead or seriously injured, the horse could be injured too. Seriously some people have no idea about animals and I wonder if they actually have two brain cells to bang together?
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 14-Jul-2019 21:10 Message #4745114
hell yes...………...juggling full time work with a 9 year old off school for 6 weeks takes a lot of organisation and energy...lol
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 14-Jul-2019 22:09 Message #4745126
On the plus side you don't have the traffic (& inconsiderate parking) that the school runs create.
On the downside it won't be too long before the little darlings will be making a nuisance of themselves as they're expected to keep themselves amused all day.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 14-Jul-2019 22:23 Message #4745135
I love the extra time spent with my children during holidays but the downside is the drop in income as I can’t work or work only a few hours. I can’t afford foreign holidays even during the cheap times.
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 15-Jul-2019 00:18 Message #4745147
As the ex. and I seperated when the kids were young I looked forward to the holidays, they were alloweed to come down for longer, now they're grown up and have kids of their own I'm looking forward to spending time with the grandkids, just hoping they want to come down now.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 15-Jul-2019 07:15 Message #4745155
Nice quiet roads. More time with grandchildren.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 21-Jul-2019 20:13 Message #4745896
The quiet roads are the most obvious thing. I don’t have children but both of my best friends have children and grand children so we all go out together during the school holidays.
Female
Harley44  Female  the Isle of Wight 21-Jul-2019 23:41 Message #4745908
Living where I do, the traffic is far worse with the the holidaymakers. But we need them sadly as they bring money onto the island.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 23-Jul-2019 20:02 Message #4746019
wonderoushen 14-Jul-2019 13:25

"Snowdonia" has been turned from an island of peace to a litter-strewn, cash exporting, amusement park.
Tracks such as the PyG are now "A" roads, paved and polluted.
There are enormous queues, knee-deep in detritus, to stand on the "Summit" of Snowdon for those who've managed to avoid getting mangled by a down-hill, mountain bike rider attempting to break the sound barrier.
The air pollution from the miles of cars trapped in a never-ending search for a parking place - and piles of human bodily waste abound.

And then there's Fake-Plaid's Language Laws and xenophobic AgitProp.
"We'll keep a welcome ..."??
Some hopes.

Male
persona_non_grata  Male  North London 24-Jul-2019 07:56 Message #4746040
I look forward to quiet roads and weeks of visiting places with my grandchildren. Never a dull moment especially when the friends of my grandchildren tag along and I end up taking out half a dozen kids. I've mellowed as I've matured lol
Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 24-Jul-2019 10:45 Message #4746065
A lot of grandparents look forward to more time with family.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 25-Jul-2019 07:32 Message #4746167
Both my girls are at home now and we have been out for our usual walks and picnics but it’s been a bit too hot to stay out all day. The water parks have been busy.
I’m off work until my youngest is back at school but my boss came round and dropped off a portable air conditioner and it’s brilliant.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 25-Jul-2019 11:12 Message #4746197
You seem to have a really nice boss Raach, I'm so glad we have ceiling fans in the bedrooms, they're an ugly godsend.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 25-Jul-2019 15:24 Message #4746239
We started off on the right foot wonderoushen. I said I would work hard make up any lost time due to my flexible hours. They said they would ensure I had the time I needed off for my children and they would do all they could to help me.
We both stuck to what was said and it has been a fantastic job although I have needed more time off than I thought I would.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »