Conversation Health and Wellbeing
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Strangling our NHS

and endangering lives.

Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Jul-2019 22:47 Message #4744643
The Health Service Journal (HSJ) reports that:

First quarter A&E performance worst since records began
By Ben Clover 11 July 2019

The NHS has recorded its worst first quarter accident and emergency performance since records started, data released this morning revealed.

Which is not surprizing when some Acute Hospital Trusts are subject to 25% cuts to their budgets by the Tory Gov't.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 12-Jul-2019 10:39 Message #4744699
Good2BWith, Full privatisation of the NHS has been on Tory cards since Thatcher. Now Tory Minister Matthew Hancock is selling chunks of the NHS off to various private interests.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 12-Jul-2019 10:41 Message #4744700
Tory cards shouldn't that be Tony's cards that infamous leader and most popular of the Labour party?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 12-Jul-2019 11:04 Message #4744717
You have no idea how glad I am that health is a devolved power, we still have a health service, its creaking and struggling, but from everything I read and hear its a damn sight better than Englands.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 12-Jul-2019 11:17 Message #4744720
wonderoushen 12-Jul-2019 11:04
You have no idea how glad I am that health is a devolved power, we still have a health service, its creaking and struggling, but from everything I read and hear its a damn sight better than Englands.

Whilst I'd very much like to agree with you, every reference made by Tories to the NHS system in Wales is negative. And there seems to be little, if any, defence from MPs from Welsh constituencies.

Add to that the situations in parts of Gwynedd and Anglesey where the "Must be fluent in Welsh" legislation is leaving some communities without a GP at all. (According to reports in The Post - N Wales edition.)

A classic case of Cutting one's own nose off to spite one's face, is it not?
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 12-Jul-2019 11:19 Message #4744721
HotOrWot, NHS privatisation has always been on the Tory agenda. I dont understand what you have written ?
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 12-Jul-2019 11:21 Message #4744723

The NHS will always struggle from the sheer number of people it looks after. After Blair throwing away millions of pounds which were completely wasted it is now, as you say, creaking but working.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 12-Jul-2019 11:41 Message #4744725
HotOrWot Sex icon 12-Jul-2019 11:21
The NHS will always struggle from the sheer number of people it looks after. After Blair throwing away millions of pounds which were completely wasted it is now, as you say, creaking but working.

The last time I read this accusation about Mr Blair and OUR NHS, the figures quoted were in the £bns.
It's some consolation that even you, with your perpetual Hype-frenzy, have throttled back.

HOWEVER
There's NEVER any detail or suggestion as to where these £Bns or £millions were "thrown".
Probably 'cos it's all in the fevered minds of those who hate anything which is designed to bring about equality and social harmony.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 12-Jul-2019 11:51 Message #4744732
HotOrWot Sex icon 12-Jul-2019 11:21
The NHS will always struggle from the sheer number of people it looks after.

I fail to follow the financial/economic rationale in your assertion.
How can reducing the # of Tax payers supporting the NHS ease what you claim is the overcrowding?
All it will do is reduce the amount of income available for NHS and make matters worse, not better.

Or, as one might expect, with your BrExit Party tainted views, is your statement a thinly disguized statement of your broad xenophobic stance?
AND
Wishing to bar the use of NHS to those you and your Gang have reduced to the status of Untermenschen?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 12-Jul-2019 11:55 Message #4744734
For many people Welsh is their first language and their English is very poor, in the hospitals many of the doctors arn't Welsh speakers and have a nurse to translate for them. Of course the Tories are negative about the health service, they would be wouldn't they and AM's do defend it and also admit that it could be better. I don't think its just the Welsh language requirement thats causing the GP problem, theres a problem with GP recruitment all over the country.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 12-Jul-2019 12:43 Message #4744746
Millions, billions, trillions or even zillions are multiples of millions.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 13-Jul-2019 00:03 Message #4744856
wonderoushen 12-Jul-2019 11:55
For many people Welsh is their first language and their English is very poor, in the hospitals many of the doctors arn't Welsh speakers and have a nurse to translate for them. Of course the Tories are negative about the health service, they would be wouldn't they and AM's do defend it and also admit that it could be better. I don't think its just the Welsh language requirement thats causing the GP problem, theres a problem with GP recruitment all over the country.

#' The days of monoglot Welsh speakers are long gone.
# There are elements who refuse to use English - for a # of different reasons.
# You will no doubt be aware that ALL local government (public sector) jobs are ring-fenced and applicants who are not proficient in Welsh to the required level are automatically excluded.
# As Tory cuts bite deeper into LA budgets and dilapidated and very old schools need replacing, mergers of small schools have been deemed necessary. In many cases, the merged school offers only Welsh as the medium of instruction with English being taught as a "Foreign" language with the same time and status as French, Spanish etc.
# The general position of Plaid has been Left of Centre. Far too many of the "Plaid" Cllrs in North Wales, and especially Gwynedd and Sir Môn, are no more than self-seeking, dynasty building, petty capitalists.
# Try reading about some of the anti-"English" antics and Comments left by that crew in the Online version of The Post newspaper.
# It's about time that Plaid's Exec cleared out these nests of 5th columnists who are dragging the party thru' the mud - and making a healthy profit from their actions.
# Tho' Abersoch is a haven for the "English" who can afford to live there.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 13-Jul-2019 11:16 Message #4744910
HotOrWot , What is the point of your post ?
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 13-Jul-2019 14:48 Message #4744936
It is a pity Michaelt but as long as the trolls appear on almost every thread than posters such as HoW will also appear on the same thread making a complete mockery between them.

Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 13-Jul-2019 15:42 Message #4744939
MrQuiet, I dont understand their mentality. Its like they just dont want the truth about somethings.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 13-Jul-2019 17:36 Message #4744944
MrQuiet 13-Jul-2019 14:48
It is a pity Michaelt but as long as the trolls appear on almost every thread than posters such as HoW will also appear on the same thread making a complete mockery between them.

Those who you and others call Trolls consistently post coherent and well-researched messages which are pertinent to the subject of the Thread.
Agreed, the PoV may not agree with your take on the matter but that's one of the (dis)advantages of living in what we consider to be a Western liberal democracy.

Many of those who have chosen to designate elements, with whose PoV they disagree, as Trolls contribute nothing of any substance to any of the Threads to which they post. Instead of addressing the subject, their contributions are little more than mud-slinging, ad hominem attacks, name calling and plagiarizm of other's thoughts and postings.

Your justification for, and support of the gross behaviour of the latter group is that having acted as accuser, judge and jury on the charge of being a Troll, they are then justified in devoting their postings to attacking these Trolls.

A combination of Kaffka, Alice, Pappa Doc and the rule of Nicolae Ceau?escu, IMO.

However, if that's your bag, man - you're welcome to it.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 13-Jul-2019 17:59 Message #4744948
MrQuiet, I dont understand their mentality. Its like they just dont want the truth about somethings.

We are all struggling to understand the mentality of a troll. They do not make sense. They are not coherent. They only want to listen to themselves.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 13-Jul-2019 18:28 Message #4744964
Agreed - for the NHS to be a financial success per se - all that would be needed would be to maximise the early mortality rate and thus remove the root cause of growing demand - which is a growing population with chronic conditions needing regular expensive interventions.

In practice the core rationale is to maximise longevity - which then of course increases the incidence and prevalence of morbidity.

On which is then superimposed all the expensive new treatments which came on stream post 1948 and it becomes challenging to see how the NHS could ever be more than a financial black hole - unless treatment is rationed.
Male
BOYDEL  Male  Surrey 13-Jul-2019 18:29 Message #4744965
Agreed - for the NHS to be a financial success per se - all that would be needed would be to maximise the early mortality rate and thus remove the root cause of growing demand - which is a growing population with chronic conditions needing regular expensive interventions.

In practice the core rationale is to maximise longevity - which then of course increases the incidence and prevalence of morbidity.

On which is then superimposed all the expensive new treatments which came on stream post 1948 and it becomes challenging to see how the NHS could ever be more than a financial black hole - unless treatment is rationed.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 13-Jul-2019 18:47 Message #4744969
BOYDEL , The NHS is being deliberately underfunded to pave the way for full privatisation...Matthew Hancock is the Minister in charge of this.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »