Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Alternative 'medicine'

instead of paracetamol and suchlike

Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 11-Jul-2019 15:03 Message #4744561
Over the years, I have been taking too many Paracetamol and I'm looking at alternative ways of doing things..

I've taken them for headaches, colds, pains here, pains there, all sorts...

It doesn't seem an age thing either...When I was working with a group of younger people a few years ago, we all had our 'supplies'...If someone ran out of any, there was always someone stepping in to offer some...The first time it happened, when one of them said 'Has anyone got any paracetamol', the rest of us all at once said 'Yes', and whipped ours out of pockets and bags and the like..

Nowadays, I am on loads of prescribed stuff, mainly for heart, but for other things as well..The Doctors say I can't come off any of those, supposedly forever, although there may be alternatives to look into, but it's the 'over the counter' stuff that I want to cut down on, or cut out completely...

The last week or so, I have had only a couple of Paracetamol in total..not sure if it is benefiting me or not, although it makes me think to not take something just because I am beginning to feel a headache coming on...before that I was having at least a couple a day, and often more, especially when things like a cold happens ( often 2 every 4 hours then )

What are your alternatives to Paracetamol/Aspirin/Ibuprofen?...

Is it best to just put up with headaches and things, until they go away on their own.?...I don't like the idea of that...I've had a couple of bad heads this week, and they become irritating...

Are there any meditation things/yoga stuff that people do to relieve the symptoms?

Do the likes of Holland and Barrett do any good stuff.?...good affordable stuff, as some things can be really expensive...
Male
BlackMark1  Male  Leicestershire 11-Jul-2019 15:37 Message #4744564
My parents and grandparents seldom used anything other that what was grown naturally. I don’t know how good it was but I seem to remember home grown medicines and ointments solving most of our problems
Male
zodiac1  Male  Flintshire 11-Jul-2019 16:10 Message #4744568
Ahh yes, like me , you have had a heart problem that gives headaches, mine are the short and sharp shooting kind and it may be down to getting a vascular check at the hospital via the doc., akin to blood supply that goes up to the brain being only about 75%.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Jul-2019 17:44 Message #4744582
tumbleweed 11-Jul-2019 15:03
Over the years, I have been taking too many Paracetamol and I'm looking at alternative ways of doing things..

Whilst not quite the same age, we've both seen a massive change in medical practice.
Once-upon-a-time, surgery was about the only answer to many illnesses - or wait to see if it got better by itself.
Then the sulphonamides followed by anti-biotics but little else.
Nowadays, a vast range of malfunctions is treated by 'popping-a-pill'.
BUT, as you note, one has to keep popping that pill, or its latest manifestation, for the rest of one's (extended) 'natural'.
To adapt the Proverb / Adage: A man who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client. (Anon)

A Patient who is their own GP will have a cadaver for a client.

On the matter of "Paracetamol/Aspirin/Ibuprofen" - these medications are very different and regular and frequent self-prescribing should be a matter of concern and discussion with your GP.

On the matter of the Opioid addiction in US/A.
1.0 This is partially a function of their high-cost/ unaffordable-cost Insurance based Primary-care system,
And
2.0 The lack of regulation concerning Off-the-Shelf access to powerful drugs.
3.0 The main source of Opioids in UK used to be items such as
3.1 Doctor Collis Brown's mixture
3.2 Kaolin and Morph
3.3 Codeine tabs.

3.1 & 3.2 no longer exist in their old form
3,3 Is not available except by prescription BUT is still present in Off-the-Shelf 8/500 tablets of Codeine and Paracetamol. Steer well clear of them unless specifically advised by your GP, who may well suggest a very short course of 30/500s.

Best regards.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Jul-2019 19:16 Message #4744594
Next time you have a medicine review you should mention the headaches and see if an adjustment in your medication is needed. You could try rubbing a few drops of lavender oil onto your temples, behind the tips of your ears around the hairline and the "dips" at the back of your neck, where your neck joins onto your skull, if you slide your fingers back from your jaw line you should be able to feel them either side of your neck muscles. If the headaches are from sinus problems then try massaging some at the very top inner edge of your eyebrow, you should be able to feel a couple of small dents, also the same on your cheek bones, if you run your fingers under your cheek bone 1-2 cm out from your nose, just above where you can feel your teeth/gums. Lavender oil is generally safe, it can lower blood pressure which can be a problem if you suffer from low blood pressure, if you do then use rosemary instead of lavender. Make sure you use the right sort of lavneder or any essential oils, DO NOT use the ones sold for use in oil burners/infusers as they're often perfumes rather than pure essential oil.

Cammomile tea could help to relax you, fennel tea is good for nausea, cramps, bloating etc. You could try taking Comvita manuka honey elixir with propolis over the winter to stave off colds, it seems to either stop you getting them or halve the symptoms if you do. Its a bit expensive but personally I wouldn't be without it.

If headaches are a particular problem and its not due to your meds then maybe a trip to an osteopath or chiropractor could be the answer as your neck might be out of alignment causing the headaches. I used to have migraines about once every three weeks but now i have maybe one or two mild ones a year after getting my neck sorted out.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Jul-2019 20:16 Message #4744605
wonderoushen Sex icon 11-Jul-2019 19:16
Next time you have a medicine review you should mention the headaches and see if an adjustment in your medication is needed

With this I agree, and have such a review with my Pharmacist every 12 months or "On demand".

The rest of the text is either bunkum +/ dangerous.
Do please check
# Online, via NHS or
# With your pharmacist or
# Your GP
before you experiment with non-NICE approved medications.

BEWARE of St John's Wort which, according to our NHS:
can have serious interactions with a large number of commonly used medications (e.g. warfarin), by affecting enzymes in the body involved with the metabolic processing of drugs; therefore a discussion with a doctor is important.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Jul-2019 20:22 Message #4744606
Improving health and social care through evidence-based guidance

www.nice.org.uk/
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 11-Jul-2019 20:40 Message #4744609
for headaches smelling home grown mint is really good...….put inside pillowcase when sleeping too...its really refreshing
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 11-Jul-2019 22:05 Message #4744631
Thanks for all the responses...I will digest the info...

Haven't seen you posting for ages Euro...Don't look too much at what you've missed...it makes very strange reading...nice photo, by the way...
Female
eurostar  Female  Merseyside 11-Jul-2019 22:13 Message #4744634
Cheers tumble..lol life got a bit hectic and yeah trying to ignore the strange on here was/is tough..lol.i,ll just pop back occasionally lol
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Jul-2019 22:22 Message #4744637
eurostar 11-Jul-2019 20:40
for headaches smelling home grown mint is really good...….put inside pillowcase when sleeping too...its really refreshing

AND you'll have lovely dreams about Shaun the Sheep and his chums.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »