Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Mindless vandalism and worse.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 11-Jul-2019 08:57 Message #4744524
Last night four youths broke into a shed we use to store goods donated to help the homeless. If they had stolen something which they could have sold then it might have been wrong but understandable but they cut 8 sleeping bags to pieces and then left. What sort of mind makes you do that?
It makes me so angry.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 11-Jul-2019 09:07 Message #4744526
Your anger and bewilderment is shared tsw. The situation you describe has heaps of parallels, so many resulting in actual harm to other people.
Brings to mind the much vaunted 'Human Rights' debate - but there, the definition of 'Human' is something that I think requires closer scrutiny.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Jul-2019 10:02 Message #4744534
It makes me angry too, like when trees are planted and vandals come along and dig them up, cut them down or break them, they're probably the same sorts who hurt animals too, I don't want the sort of mind that can understand that sort of thing, I think they must have such ugliness within them.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Jul-2019 12:12 Message #4744548
tsunamiwarrior Hertfordshire 11-Jul-2019 08:57 new Message #4744524
Last night four youths broke into a shed we use to store goods donated to help the homeless. If they had stolen something which they could have sold then it might have been wrong but understandable but they cut 8 sleeping bags to pieces and then left. What sort of mind makes you do that?
It makes me so angry.

When you provide the full details, you may find that the motive/s is/are relatively easy to find.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 11-Jul-2019 15:22 Message #4744562
Some People are just low, hopefully one day they see the error of their ways...

Any cctv or finger prints?
Male
BlackMark1  Male  Leicestershire 11-Jul-2019 15:42 Message #4744565
It’s a bit optimistic to hope that finding out details and then finding the motives will be easy. It’s more likely the offenders will never be caught but if they were they would probably be the type guilty of other vandalism and it would be mindless.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Jul-2019 17:50 Message #4744583
BlackMark1 11-Jul-2019 15:42

The excellent description given by the OP suggests that this was far from being mindless vandalism. Specific items were targeted = sleeping bags.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 11-Jul-2019 18:20 Message #4744588
I would have thought cutting up a lot of donated sleeping bags was as mindless as you could get.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Jul-2019 20:26 Message #4744607
Alimentary, dear What's On. Alimentary.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 11-Jul-2019 20:51 Message #4744614
Its not mindless, there will be a reason.
What sort of homeless are being helped?
Are they bringing drugs into the area etc?
Have you ever given any thought to the people that live in the area?
We all want to help people that can be helped, but are you aware of any side issues in the area?
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Jul-2019 21:02 Message #4744617
NotHermit Sex icon 11-Jul-2019 20:51
Its not mindless, there will be a reason.

Agreed

As I posted earlier:

When you provide the full details, you may find that the motive/s is/are relatively easy to find.

The details you ask for are vital, tho' the way you have phrased your request is somewhat blaming the victims.
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 11-Jul-2019 21:20 Message #4744619
It’s the type of crime most people would describe as mindless as in no obvious gain to the perpetrator but it’s fair to say every crime and every action has a motive or reason behind it whether it’s someone causing damage to sleeping bags or someone committing random murders.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 11-Jul-2019 21:48 Message #4744624
It’s the type of crime most people would describe as mindless

Most people but not a troll.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 12-Jul-2019 08:34 Message #4744689
NotHermit. Good questions. We help the homeless with sleeping facilities, clothes and sleeping bags and that is for anyone who is homeless, whatever the reason and we never judge.
Of course many of those sleeping on the streets have addiction problems with alcohol or drugs but they do not affect the physical area we work in so no-one local has ever complained about our work.

HonestBob. The shed which was broken into was just a standalone building with no security other than a padlock. The sleeping bags they cut up were surplus ones which had been replaced for their owners with newer and better “mummy” type bags.
The main building has cctv which captured four figures in the distance by the shed. They looked mid teens but not recognisable. I agree with the police that they were opportunists wandering around late at night and hoped to find something of value. When they didn’t find anything they decided to slash the bags and leave a mess.

The incident has inspired more locals to get involved and make donations so maybe some good will come from it.

I also hope they will see the error of their ways. Many teens are not well behaved but later become fine members of the community

Male
barney  Male  Surrey 12-Jul-2019 12:49 Message #4744749
Tsunamiwarrior,

I think the conclusions you, the police and others on here have reached are probably right.
Keep up the good work and I hope you can put it behind you and carry on.

I see Inspector Clouseau is now on the case.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 12-Jul-2019 21:29 Message #4744805
It’s good that some people do put themselves out to help others and I know I appreciated help during some of my hardest times. I don’t understand those who destroy things for no reason.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 12-Jul-2019 21:45 Message #4744816
Hope some good does come out of it.
Sounds like the police are probably correct.
Respect for the work you are doing, helping others.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 12-Jul-2019 23:28 Message #4744849
HotOrWot 11-Jul-2019 21:48

Plagiarist Alert ... Plagiarist Alert ... Plagiarist Alert ... Plagiarist Alert ...
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 13-Jul-2019 06:56 Message #4744898
It’s good to see most of us do not like to see destructive behaviour whether mindless or not. There’s a lot of kindness in the world too.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 13-Jul-2019 18:04 Message #4744952
It’s good to see most of us do not like to see destructive behaviour whether mindless or not. There’s a lot of kindness in the world too.

True words.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 14-Jul-2019 22:25 Message #4745136
HoW. There is a lot of good people and they far outweigh the bad ones.

Tsunamiwarrior. Do you get many homeless women?
Female
usuallyLaura  Female  Devon 15-Jul-2019 01:33 Message #4745151
When ‘ we ‘ are discussing homeless people, are we referring to rough sleepers ? or those accommodated by the local authority ? in a b+b ? or even accomodated by the local authority in emergency accomodation ? - could be a hostel ?
Or those that are ‘ sofa surfers ‘ ?
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 15-Jul-2019 17:10 Message #4745199
Raach84. No we don't get many women sleeping rough and the few we get usually have boyfriends. We would never let anyone sleep rough if they needed a bed for the night but are particularly vigilant when women might be in a vulnerable position.

usuallyLaura. In most conversations about the homeless it includes a minority of rough sleepers but mostly refers to those with no fixed abode. The ones which are most difficult to house are those sleeping rough because with addictions and sometimes mental health issues they won't let you house them or if they do get a regular property will either fill it with other addicts or wander off leaving it empty.
Dealig with addictions and mental health has improved vastly in recent years but still a big problem.

I think it's terry who has started a thread on homelessness which has some very good and very informative posts and not just the usual political dogma.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 15-Jul-2019 22:13 Message #4745227
You explain it very well tsunamiwarrior.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 16-Jul-2019 15:30 Message #4745273
There is another thread on homelessness which looked promising but then descended into making political points. I often wonder if those shouting the loudest politically actually care about those they pretend to want to help.
We had one young girl sleeping on the streets with her boyfriend and they were always around the car parks asking for the price of a coffee but all I ever saw them drink was cans of lager. I did feel for them though.

1 2 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »