Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Universal Credit

More secure and money-saving

1 2 3 4 Next >  Last >> 

Female
Aely  Female  Hampshire 10-Jul-2019 15:53 Message #4744442
Tell that to the 19 year old "claimant" with 6 blind children!

It's a farce. Another government IT system not worth the money they paid for it. Must be administered by monkeys as well, or am I being unkind to our simian cousins?
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 10-Jul-2019 16:39 Message #4744443
The idea is a good one and I do believe it is one which will have to be implemented eventually. The problem with everything our governments have ever done is they have no contingency plans for those who are adversely affected.
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 10-Jul-2019 18:15 Message #4744453
"Tell that to the 19 year old "claimant" with 6 blind children!"

19... with 6 children...

I think that is a problem in it's self.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Jul-2019 18:46 Message #4744454
Its not just that Aely, but people are being phoned up and offered a hardship loan from the government, they give their details to the "official" who's contacted them little knowing that their scammers who use the information to make applications for UC. When it comes to the atention of the benefits office the person who's been scammed gets punnished for it by having their benefits cut, often leaving them with a bill for hundreds of no tthousands of pounds. Front line staff at job centres etc have been aware of this for months, have been trying to push it further up the line to get something done and have been ignored, all the time loads of tax payers money is being lost to scammers and the poorest in society are being punnished for falling for a scam. All universal credit applications have to made online, you can't go and talk to someone about it anymore, whilst they can contact you in any way they please you have to do it all online. For those who don't have internet access it makes it hard to make a claim and they have to use a public access computer which is a bit dodgy to begin with. I know its easy to think its easy to spot scams but I've two banks phone up for Manthing recently and want me to give him messages and have asked me for information, I've told them No and that I think they're scammers and they've turned out to be genuine, how can any of us trust these people when they do the exact things they tell us not to do?

How anyone could honestly believe that a 19 year old has 6 blind children is beyond me, it beggars belief that nobody questioned it and just authorised it. What struck me as unfair is that if I was scammed on a credit card or other banking fraud then the bank would have to repay the lost money as long as it obviously wasn't me, but people on benefits arn't given the same courtesy even though they're victims of crime.
Female
RAACH84  Female  Buckinghamshire 10-Jul-2019 20:17 Message #4744476
If nobody cheated the system and all claimants were honest everyone would gain but while systems have to cater for the exclusion of cheats everyone suffers.
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 10-Jul-2019 22:39 Message #4744488
bb"If nobody cheated the system and all claimants were honest everyone would gain but while systems have to cater for the exclusion of cheats everyone suffers."bb

If only that applied to taxation and Estate Agents too. The poor cheat as do the rich. But it's easier to pick on the poor. Easy meat.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 10-Jul-2019 22:55 Message #4744492
What an ignorant man you are. Cheating is cheating no matter who does it and those who scam the system are often very well off financially and well organised in their scams. Nobody has criticised the poor in any way so get of your high horse.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 10-Jul-2019 23:00 Message #4744495
DANGEROUS ANIMALS.. Please do not feed the trolls
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Jul-2019 23:13 Message #4744498
RAACH84 Sex icon 10-Jul-2019 20:17
If nobody cheated the system and all claimants were honest everyone would gain but while systems have to cater for the exclusion of cheats everyone suffers.

Whilst the principle of consolidating the six hardship entitlements is good, its rollout has been a disaster for all.
From Mr Ian Duncan Smith's PoV, it was a ruse to cut support for the poor and needy by £bns.
In fact, it's ADDED £bns to the cost of distributing the new benefit compared with the existing system.
Much of this has gone on a failure of the IT systems. Everything is back to being done"By hand".
But most important of all has been on the recipients - many of whom are in families where both partners have at least one job each. Others have long term disabilities +/ mental health problems.
A minimum wait of 6 weeks for any income when ppl are transferred to the new system has accelerated the NEED for food banks by a factor of 20 fold.
Then there is the payment of benefits, in arrears, changed from per week to per month. Fine if like Mr I D S one is living rent-free in one's father-in-laws country "Cottage", pulling in an MP's salary and hoovering up fees for being a NED on numerous Coy Boards.
As with this system, so with BrExit - the rich will get the gravy - and the Precariat will starve +/ commit suicide in a reverse of Aesop's tale of the Ants and the Grasshopper.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Jul-2019 23:35 Message #4744499
HotOrWot 10-Jul-2019 23:00
DANGEROUS ANIMALS..

You show, yet again, your utter contempt for HUMANS who dare to counter your irrational view of reality.
It's a common trait in Autocrats - stereotype the "other" as being animals, or "cockroaches".
Warn of the dangers posed by these invaders.
Set up plans to eliminate these non-humans,
Bring the plan into action in a rationalized and self-justified genocide of those defined as rodents.
Finding that the system is still dysfunctional it turns in on itself and implodes in a Night of the Long Knives.

Sic transit gloria Dei osores In Homines
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 11-Jul-2019 06:33 Message #4744503

The obvious truth but even a simple truth can get a troll agitated.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 11-Jul-2019 07:15 Message #4744511
Let's face it, Government run projects rarely work well or give value for money...
Male
terry  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Jul-2019 07:46 Message #4744514
'Let's face it, Government run projects rarely work well or give value for money...'

Why is that do you think Heirophant? and could they ever be made to work well?
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 11-Jul-2019 08:56 Message #4744523
Too big, too clumsy and too many levels of management that struggle to communicate with each other effectively.
But, maybe we should accept that Government projects cost money, and live with it.
I wonder if the Victorians, when they were transforming this country with infrastructure projects that we can only dream off in modern times, were wringing their hands at how much it was all costing?...

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Jul-2019 10:12 Message #4744535
I wonder how much competitive tendering has an effect on the eventual cost of projects? How many quotes do the government get? Do those commissioning projects understand the complexity of what they're asking for? Do they go straight for the preferred bidder, someone like Carillion who then sub-contract's the project out to people who may not be part of the master plan, who've no idea what the masterplan is, if we look at how the refurbishment of Grenfell was handled I think we can see exactly why government projects go so badly over budget and take twice as long as they should.
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 11-Jul-2019 10:57 Message #4744538
Neros1954, As a Labour man you should know that the main principle behind Universal Credit is that it marks the end of the Welfare State. People are having to wait for their money and as such so many people are starving.

Its the same with the State pension, this is now called a benefit by this right wing Tory establishment.

And the reason its called a benefit is because this will make it easier for the Tory's to remove it should they win the next general election...
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 11-Jul-2019 11:09 Message #4744539
Witheflow, I think our class of people pick on the poor because our class of people relate to the poor.

I know that some people cheat the system somehow, but I also feel that they are in the minority, but we have a largely right wing press in this country that supports the Tories and as such picks on our own class constantly, so people read, believe and get angry...

I would like people on this site to explain to me and others, in a race to the bottom free market with a run down and inadequately funded means tested Welfare State system, how precisely they believe welfare cheats cheat the system. ?

This is a fair question
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 11-Jul-2019 11:24 Message #4744540
Fuck me people have died because of this shambles and you want to blame the cheats sick I call it.
Male
Lionlight  Male  North Yorkshire 11-Jul-2019 12:08 Message #4744546
There's much talk of cheating here, but how about the MP's expenses and the millions or billions of pounds lost to tax evasion? Somehow I can't see anyone dying, starving or being made homeless because of that. Successive governments have deliberately trashed the benefits system for their own ends, resulting in increased death rates, illness, malnutrition, poverty and homelessness, not to mention the misery, stress and anxiety the system is designed to instill.
While the top 10% have doubled their wealth over the last decade, everyone else has seen living standards fall due the political decision to use austerity - an economic policy doomed to failure because the single spreadsheet on which it was based contained fundamental errors.
Don't forget the root cause of all this. The government bankrupted itself to save a corrupt banking system and we've all been paying for it ever since.
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 11-Jul-2019 13:02 Message #4744551
MSE is big in Yorkshire...
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 11-Jul-2019 13:33 Message #4744553
wonderoushen, The disaster of Grenfell was due to decades of Tory Government's ignoring Britain's infrastructure within their free market deregulation model...
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 11-Jul-2019 14:17 Message #4744554
Is there any way we can find out how many decades of Tory Government there has been?...
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 11-Jul-2019 14:25 Message #4744556
tumbleweed , Work it out yourself. From 1979, through to Blair's New Labour Government for 13 years from 1997 - to 2010, continuing the Tory agenda to 2019 under May..
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 11-Jul-2019 14:27 Message #4744557
I knew there would be a way...

What would we do without you michaelt?...
Male
Michaelt  Male  Devon 11-Jul-2019 15:31 Message #4744563
tumbleweed, Your sarcasm precedes your intelligence.

1 2 3 4 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »