Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Sir Kim Darroch

was Thrown under a bus by

Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Jul-2019 13:45 Message #4744422
Mr B Johnson, says Sir Alan Duncan, a minister in the Foreign Office in an On-Air interview.

During the 'two-headed' debate on TV last night, the probable leader of the Tory party, and hence the next PM of our country, refused THREE times to join the cross-party support for the UK's Ambassador to Washington DC..
On-Air, Sir Alan said Mr Johnson was guilty of "contemptible negligence" and had "thrown this fantastic diplomat under a bus to serve his own personal interests".

Sir Kim has subsequently tendered his resignation from his position.

An interesting Constitutional situation presents itself.
How will it be possible for a person with a track record of gross calumny and disregard for any form of statespersonship required of a PM, be the PM of our country?
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 10-Jul-2019 14:27 Message #4744431

And rightly so. it's a pity other people in such positions don't resign from their parties rather than drag them through the mire.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 10-Jul-2019 14:37 Message #4744433
Sir Kim had no option, once his massages went public he was well and truly trumped, I’m sure somebody will take the vacant post over and enjoy the banquets.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 10-Jul-2019 14:43 Message #4744435
Massages what am I suggesting, lol. Messaging messaging.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 10-Jul-2019 14:46 Message #4744436
I'm sure there were diplomatic massages too.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 10-Jul-2019 18:56 Message #4744456
Sir K should have been sacked straight away.
Apologies should have been sent to president Trump and the USA.
Something like, Sorry our diplomats are really carp at the moment, they still do not understand the digital age, and insist
on putting private opinions in emails.

It is the digital age keeps catching out people like Sir K.
Emails are not secure, carrier pigeons are different Sir K, now Farokh Engineer off, and do not touch any switches on the way out.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Jul-2019 18:56 Message #4744457
A diplomat is a civil servant and not a member of government so they have no party to serve. I do think that once his communications were leaked his position was untenable and that was before Trump went off on one.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Jul-2019 19:18 Message #4744461
HotOrWot 10-Jul-2019 14:27

And rightly so. it's a pity other people in such positions don't resign from their parties rather than drag them through the mire.
===/---/---/
Sir Kim is a high-level Civil Servant.
Sir Kim is not a member of a political party - at his level, he's forbidden from membership of a political party.
When Sir Kim is elevated to the H o Lords, he will occupy a place as a Cross-bencher.
Male
Templar2013  Male  South East London 10-Jul-2019 20:47 Message #4744477
He was right to resign but had little choice. It would be more accurate to say he embarrassed the governing party of the day.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 10-Jul-2019 22:23 Message #4744482
Will he really go to the House of Lords?
So we still pay him, even thought he brought shame to this country, because of his own incompetence.

He should not ever be let close to anything political again.
Not even to clean the House of Lords toilets.

I would build a special toilet outside the House of Lords.
Make Sir K clean it every day, and invite American tourists to watch him.
Male
Witheflow  Male  North Yorkshire 10-Jul-2019 22:34 Message #4744487
The man spoke the truth and the vast majority agree with what he said. The swivel eyed minority, find it outragous. Now look through the posts and spot the Gammon frothers.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 10-Jul-2019 22:44 Message #4744489
i think we should be looking to castigate the person, who, over a period of time, has collated the remarks and then leaked them.
they are the real culprit/s... the diplomat was doing the job he was paid to do.

in a funny way, i smell an anti brexit rat.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Jul-2019 22:54 Message #4744491
Sir Henry Wotton was an English author, diplomat and politician who sat in the House of Commons in 1614 and 1625. He is often quoted as saying,

"An ambassador is an honest gentleman sent to lie abroad for the good of his country."

(Wotton said that when on a mission in Augsburg, in 1604.)
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 10-Jul-2019 23:03 Message #4744497
An ambassador is an honest gentleman sent to lie abroad for the good of his country.

So very true.

Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Jul-2019 10:15 Message #4744536
I think you're right Fosy, but I don't see this as being anti-brexit, I do wonder at the motivations of the person who effectively lobbed a grenade into things? This had obviously been planned for sometime, I think we ought to ask who profits from this situation?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 11-Jul-2019 12:02 Message #4744544
its a long shot i know, but getting trump to spit his dummy out at use could cause him to back out of any "tremendous" trade agreements we would be looking for should we exit on WTO, leaving us more isolated in trading options and playing into the hands of brexit scare mongers. ?
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 11-Jul-2019 12:09 Message #4744547
use / us.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Jul-2019 17:59 Message #4744584
To quote one of the in-famous sayings by Mr Samuel Goldwyn

His verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.
Relying on even written contracts with Mr Trump should trigger the ditty:

Never smile at a crocodile
No, you can't get friendly with a crocodile
Don't be taken in by his welcome grin
He's imagining how well you'd fit within his skin.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 11-Jul-2019 18:57 Message #4744593
Any trade agreement we do with America will always have An America First agenda, thats the way the Americans are and always have been, to an extent why shouldn't they? If they had a smaller economy and powerbase it wouldn't be such a problem, but being the superpower they are they hold the majority of the cards and are in a position to dictate to others. I can see where you're comming from in terms of the motive of the leakers, but I don't buy it, as far as I can see those who benefit most are the Americans, they get to kick out a very competant diplomat, Trump wants Farrage to be ambassador or another pro-Brexit business person. America is one of the few Western democracies where diplomats are political appointments rather than from an independent diplomatic service even though the politically appointees have a large staff of professional diplomats advising them. I get the impression that Trump would quite like us to be part of the USA.

I wonder if the person who leaked this also leaked the stuff about Jeremny Corbyns alledged "frailty" and the stuff from the JIC?
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 11-Jul-2019 21:03 Message #4744618
No need to leak it.
You would need an idiot to write it in the first place.
Oh we have an idiot, so lets put the pompous idiot in charge.
One who does not understand what emails are.
How dangerous is it to have a stupid idiot in such an important position.
One who thinks he is so clever, yet in reality is a fool.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Jul-2019 21:21 Message #4744620
Let's get some FACTS.
Communications between Ambassadors and their base are sent via a system known as Diplomatic Cables
For UK:
Due to the importance and sensitive nature of the subject matter, diplomatic cables are protected by the most elaborate security precautions to prevent unfettered access by the public, and unauthorized interception by foreign governments.
They are always encrypted, frequently by unbreakable one-time pad ciphers (sic) using key material distributed using diplomatic couriers. WikiP

Perhaps this will silence the naive comments from chumps suggesting that messages were sent via eMail, Facebook or Twitter.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 11-Jul-2019 21:29 Message #4744621
Still same deal G2B, the idiot wrote his own opinions down.
Nothing is secure nowadays, so forget your nonsense about security.

And lets not forget the background.
Would you consider our government competent?
Imagine from a USA viewpoint, I guess they would prefer another government in the UK.
But have you seen who is leader of the opposition?
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Jul-2019 21:52 Message #4744627
If you re-post that in coherent (British) English I'll be delighted to respond.
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 11-Jul-2019 22:07 Message #4744632
So there is a language called British?
I am so happy to be educated on mse, and its free too.
Anyone got a can of bullshit repellant please?
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 12-Jul-2019 11:41 Message #4744726
If you check your language options on your pooter you will be asked if you want UK or US English.

Darroch wasn't saying anything that many others hadn't already said about the Trump Whitehouse, he was confirming what many already guessed. Ambassadors and other diplomats have to be honest with their home country or it makes a mockery of their reason for being there. A diplomat isn't there to suck up to a foreign government sychophantically, they're there to represent our interests abroad, to carry out foreign policy objectives of the government of the day, an honest appraisal of the leaders of the host country will form a vital part in determining what the policy is towards that country and how best to implement it.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »