Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

DANGEROUS ANIMALS.. Please do not feed the trolls

1 2 3 4 Next >  Last >> 

Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 10-Jul-2019 07:13 Message #4744362

So many are saying this or something similar but can’t resist replying to even the most inane post instead if ignoring or simply blocking,

It is a pity that a few want to be abusive, insulting and deliberately create a nasty ambience to the forum as those same trolls could offer their posts in a decent and intelligent way and possibly even manage some real debates but until then

Female
Cautious1954  Female  Berkshire 10-Jul-2019 09:11 Message #4744374
A good attitude which I hope is also shown in the forum.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 10-Jul-2019 13:33 Message #4744420
A fair post on the subject. The trolls should be welcomed onto the forum if they use one profile, their own photo and don't sling abuse at others.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 10-Jul-2019 14:12 Message #4744426
On a thread a week or so ago, I exposed someone who uses multi profiles...and they are still here...

I also spoke to a helper about exposing someone else, who not only has multi profiles, but one of them is a male profile, and one a female profile...which I am sure is against site rules...

That particular one responded negatively in one of my threads in both their guises...but it seems they are well protected...Cannot be named etc...and it may not be one that you are particularly expecting...They are perhaps 'hidden' everywhere...but sometimes they make mistakes...and hope they aren't spotted...but if you are logged on at the time, you can spot them...The thread that they make the mistake in may then disappear into the background to be buried away...and nobody else is any the wiser...apart from the ones who see it happening...

We all will have different ones that we 100% know are 'fiddling' the system...
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 10-Jul-2019 16:41 Message #4744444
We don't want to push anyone off the forum for giving their opinion but it should be done respectfully.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Jul-2019 17:09 Message #4744446
@ tumbleweed 10-Jul-2019 14:12

Might one suggest that you apply Occam's Razor to your (imagined) problem?
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Jul-2019 17:29 Message #4744447
Neros1954 10-Jul-2019 16:41
We don't want to push anyone off the forum for giving their opinion but it should be done respectfully.

Whilst agreeing with you in principle, there are a # of ambiguities in your message.
For example:
1.0 Who are We?

2.0 Is it part of the function of (Ordinary members) to " to push anyone off the forum for giving their opinion"?
My understanding that the route would be via the Report function to the Mods.

3.0 It's not clear what your attitude is to the constant personal abuse hurled at those who express opinions contrary to the ones held by the Establishment Cabal.
3.1 Do you find acceptable the continuous accusations by the Establishment Cabal of "Troll-ing"; multi-membership; and then: purposely attempting to de-rail a Thread by, e.g., inserting correspondence concerning the making of a Will into a Thread on an entirely different topic?

4.0 Your attempt at being a Fence Sitting arbiter has, regretfully, failed in this instance.

Regards
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 10-Jul-2019 17:30 Message #4744448
one might g2b, if one wants...
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Jul-2019 17:39 Message #4744449
@ tumbleweed 10-Jul-2019 14:12

Have you seen the play, or read about the Salem witch trials?

The Crucible is a 1953 play by American playwright Arthur Miller.

If not, you really should as a matter of urgency.
Male
tumbleweed  Male  Gloucestershire 10-Jul-2019 17:52 Message #4744450
It will be interesting to see the ones who are thinking that they are the ones mentioned in my post...

I haven't a clue who you are g2b, whether you are just you, or whether you are anyone else as well...It's a guessing game really...until...until you 100% catch someone out...

I haven't caught you out g2b, so it's not you...but there are one's that I have... Those moments when they post from the wrong one for instance, or mention something that is only specific to their 'other' one...whoops...then they hope the thread buries itself quickly, and nobody resurrects it for all to see...
Male
HonestBob  Male  the Central region 10-Jul-2019 18:10 Message #4744451
Well in order to not feed the trolls, I would need to know who they are! My radar for trolls isn't as good as everyone else's.
Male
Neros1954  Male  Devon 10-Jul-2019 18:57 Message #4744458
I’m surprised anyone felt my straight forward statement was worthy of forensic examination but I’ve no problem with that and on reflection it may not have expressed the words in my head.
I used the expression “we” as an inclusive term for all those using the forum and thought that was obvious but one poster didn’t understand so I was wrong in that assumption.
In my opinion there are those on the forum who would like quieten the opinions of some others and I don’t like that.
However it was the “opinions should be given respectfully” which may have confused. I believe all opinions are welcomed by most on here as long as they are delivered in a way which in not rude, confrontational or unreasonably aggressive.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 10-Jul-2019 19:08 Message #4744460
@Neros1954 10-Jul-2019 18:57

Thanks for your latest. However, I see that you've ducked most of my specific questions.
Here they are again.

2.0 Is it part of the function of (Ordinary members) to " to push anyone off the forum for giving their opinion"?
My understanding that the route would be via the Report function to the Mods.

3.0 It's not clear what your attitude is to the constant personal abuse hurled at those who express opinions contrary to the ones held by the Establishment Cabal.
3.1 Do you find acceptable the continuous accusations by the Establishment Cabal of "Troll-ing"; multi-membership; and then: purposely attempting to de-rail a Thread by, e.g., inserting correspondence concerning the making of a Will into a Thread on an entirely different topic?
Female
wholelottakaren  Female  Lincolnshire 10-Jul-2019 19:44 Message #4744467
I dont have a problem with trolls. I have double blocked the worst offenders. So nice to log on and not see their outpourings

Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 10-Jul-2019 19:49 Message #4744468
A wise both wholelottakaren some of those outpourings have been quite depressing at times.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 10-Jul-2019 19:52 Message #4744469
Your posts have been very fair neros1954 and I’m sure we are all aware of the point you were making and I agree with you.
The forum should welcome and respect all those who write with respect for other users regardless of their views or politics.
The trolls have damaged the enjoyment of many and probably driven a few away from the site altogether.
Male
fosy  Male  Leicestershire 10-Jul-2019 21:00 Message #4744479
" Will into a Thread on an entirely different topic? "

the troll doesnt like the taste of its own medicine, but its fine for them to get political on a thread where the OP is afraid they are facing surgery.
how gross.
what a hypocrite.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 10-Jul-2019 22:58 Message #4744493
It looks like the idiotic trolls are hard at work and I almost got sucked into the trap of adding to the senseless remarks.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 11-Jul-2019 06:39 Message #4744506
I noticed one troll likes to pick on and bully the ladies.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Jul-2019 12:38 Message #4744550
fosy 10-Jul-2019 21:00

... its fine for them to get political on a thread where the OP is afraid they are facing surgery.

There was nothing political about my praise of our unique NHS system.
Tho', since you and the OP are clearly anti the concept of Society and Community and are entirely self-centred when it comes to most issues concerned with forming and maintaining decent living conditions for all in UK, you would take praise of OUR NHS as a clear political provocation.
Why should you be forced to pay for the care and treatment of the millions of un-deserving poor and unemployed?
All those who cannot afford to bring up children should be compulsorily sterilized - at their own expense?
And other neo-fascist plans rolled out by Mr I D Smith.

Remember J Swift's A Modest Proposal.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 11-Jul-2019 16:22 Message #4744570
" Will into a Thread on an entirely different topic? "

the troll doesnt like the taste of its own medicine, but its fine for them to get political on a thread where the OP is afraid they are facing surgery.
how gross.
what a hypocrite.

Spot on fosy.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 11-Jul-2019 17:03 Message #4744577
HotOrWot 11-Jul-2019 16:22

Have you EVER had a thought of your own that you haven't "half-inched" from someone else.
You really are a Parasite on other's work.
I don't understand why the 'Hosts' you feed off put up with you stealing their work to post to try to justify your Zero content comments.
To make matters even worse, you don't have the honesty to credit the ppl whose words & work you hi-jack.

It's YOU who is the Troll and a petty, lazy, scrounging one to boot.
Female
Helper icon Helper
PrincessFruitBat  Female  Essex 11-Jul-2019 17:59 Message #4744585
I thought that people used copy and paste when replying to a specific post so that the rest of us would understand what their comment is referring to.

It can be very helpful at times especially when a thread has a lot of posts and pages.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 11-Jul-2019 18:31 Message #4744590
The c&p is from fosy and it does say so on the post but I agree this should always happen.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 11-Jul-2019 21:51 Message #4744626
I don't understand why the 'Hosts' you feed off put up with you stealing their work to post to try to justify your Zero content comments

Excellent point. I don’t understand it either.

1 2 3 4 Next >  Last >> 

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »