Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Labour Party.

Joining

Male
barney  Male  Surrey 9-Jul-2019 17:45 Message #4744296
I have taken some time out and the two or three or more left wing cheer leaders might have persuaded me to join the OLD Labour Party, after all how bad can it be ?.
After re-nationalisation of the railways I can travel from Surrey to say Doncaster for sixpence.
They want to phase out cars so might as well let the unions do it like they did by wrecking British Leyland etc.
The rubbish will not be collected but now its getting longer between bin collections anyway.
I told the kids to vote Labour as well and you will only have to work a couple of days a week.
Everyone will be entitled to and get a Council house.
Might as well stay in the EU seeing we will have no money and therefore will receive huge handouts and subsidies like Romania etc.
I know Mr Trump will disown us but I expect that nice Mr Putin will look after us.
I can start claiming loads of benefits so no need to pay rent etc.
There must be lots of other things I have forgotten but I expect the comrades will help me out, after all for the many not the few.

See its not all bad.
Male
Gone_fishing  Male  Dorset 9-Jul-2019 19:46 Message #4744303
So you're adding to the plethora of existing, contemptuous, political threads, Barney?
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 9-Jul-2019 22:11 Message #4744315
Well Beach I thought if I can't beat them I might as well join them. I mean why should they have all the good stuff they get under Labour.
I am not going to vote Tory or Lib Dems so why waste the vote
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 9-Jul-2019 22:37 Message #4744319
Must admit I'm warming to Corbyn and his comrades too, particularly now they have clarified their position regarding brexit. It was confusing before, but Jezza and the unions have thrashed out a crystal clear way forward...
Male
NotHermit  Male  Derbyshire 9-Jul-2019 23:54 Message #4744327
That's true Hiero, Labour voters have already voted to leave the EU.
So why not take the persistent out of your own voters.
Wonder how his allotment is doing this year?
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 10-Jul-2019 00:04 Message #4744328
Yeah now Corbyn has got off the fence we have a strong leader who is prepared to put his money where his mouth is and negotiate a good deal with the EU.
I was rather hoping one or two of the comrades might have come forward and offered a few pointers as to how I can get the most out of being a Labour member but I don't think they want me to know too much.
Male
Gone_fishing  Male  Dorset 10-Jul-2019 00:41 Message #4744331
OK. I get it.

Hiero's Conservatives are likely to find themselves out of power for several years, possibly a decade or more, so … all of the rest of us have to brace ourselves for a Corbyn government?

A government without a unified policy, little comprehension of how to unify this country and no agreement or understanding of how we move forward with any Brexit initiative, positively or negatively … whatever either scenario actually means.

Luckily, I don't need to fuss with any future option because, while you folks wring your hands in despair, I'll continue this thing called LIFE … and enjoy the simplicity of existence … free of your pointless "what ifs".

All the time you people are fretting over what might happen in the future … I'm enjoying, experiencing and living it.

If you agree with my philosophy, feel free to click on the excellent link. :-)
Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 10-Jul-2019 09:15 Message #4744375
"Yeah now Corbyn has got off the fence we have a strong leader who is prepared to put his money where his mouth is"

Indeed, I don't know about "For the many, not the few", old Jezza is for everybody.
If you voted remain, then Labour are on your side as long as they are in opposition and they will crush any Tory deal that damages the economy and jobs, or no deal.
But wait! There's more! If you voted leave, Labour will probably, possibly negotiate a great deal and take us out of the EU if they are in Government.
Everybody wins, ...err I think...possibly...
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 10-Jul-2019 12:20 Message #4744389
I don' think Corbyn will be leader for much longer, either that or the Labour party will split, the Anti-Semitism thing will probably get them.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 10-Jul-2019 12:27 Message #4744391
Corbyn has been the most inept of Labour leaders but you can't say he has actually done any leading yet as he has stayed in the background hedging his bets. He is no more than a figurehead and it is very unlikely he will ever lead anything. If Labour gets into power he will be the perfect figurehead, emblem, logo or whatever to epitomise and ancient dogma long forgotten which didnt work the first time round but that others with more say such as Momentum would like to see a return to.

The anti-Semitism thing is a perfect example of a quasi leader doing nothing and making no decisions.
Male
mancers  Male  Greater Manchester 10-Jul-2019 12:33 Message #4744395
We know the Tories are running scared, and now they don’t know the left from the right, maybe they will ask Jeremy ( Oh Jeremy) Corbyn to form a coalition as they have had one with other parties the best was the Paddies how we laughed.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 10-Jul-2019 12:36 Message #4744397
Paddy. And every one was a Jeremy ...

Jeremy John Durham Ashdown, Baron Ashdown of Norton-sub-Hamdon, GCMG, CH, KBE, PC
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 10-Jul-2019 13:09 Message #4744412
Oh dear, the nasty Tories are hijacking my thread.
I have only just joined the Labour party and I am wondering if I have done the right thing but I am sure the benefits will outweigh the disadvantages.
See the thing is Hiero outside of London in the Labour heartlands the majority voted leave so if Jeremy does not lead us out of the EU there is going to be a lot of anger directed at Labour MPs so like you say its a win win.
Its a bit lonely being a Labour supporter here in Surrey. I thought Michaelt and the brothers Grimm might have offered me a bit of support but it looks like its For the Few and not the Many.
Perhaps I should organise a picket line outside of MSE headquarters.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 10-Jul-2019 13:10 Message #4744413
Where's a troll when you need one? You wait for ages and along comes three.

Male
Hierophant  Male  East Anglia 10-Jul-2019 13:21 Message #4744418
Well I've double blocked all the Corbinistas so they can only read my waffle when offline and can't respond. Losers!
Yeah Corbyn won't commit one way and stick to it - at least the Brexit party and the Lib Dems have taken a stance and look how their poll ratings have risen in response...
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 10-Jul-2019 14:04 Message #4744425
You got that right tsunamiwarrior.

So seeing as I am not welcome in my local pub now I am a Labour member I looked at joining a working men's club but they are rare as rocking horse crap around here.
When he was NOT leader of the Labour party Tony Blair and his open door policy for migrants all the workers are Poles, Romanians etc and they don't frequent working men's clubs.
I never realised as a Labour member I would have to suffer such hardship. I am dreading that I suffer from an illness and when I turn up at the NHS its been sold off but no need to worry about that as by then Jezza will will have been swept into power and us comrades will be living high off the hog.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 10-Jul-2019 14:24 Message #4744430
I never realised as a Labour member I would have to suffer such hardship

You're no longer allowed to converse with anyone who is not a far left evangelist otherwise you will be fraternising with the enemy.
Male
barney  Male  Surrey 10-Jul-2019 14:55 Message #4744438
Its not my fault HotOrWot. The left wingers don't seem to want to talk to me. As I said it seems to be for the few not the many.
They barge into everyone else's thread but ignore mine.
I am struggling to become a fully paid up member of the far left extreme whingers but I need some pointers on how to be as good as them but so far zilch.
I have even started reading the Guardian, you can't get more dedicated than that.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »