Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon Helpers: Chris2mates , LLstill , PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Sunday trading

Male
A_man_called_CHIOG  Male  South East London 7-Jul-2019 06:31 Message #4743988
Was it a good thing?
Female
Sea  Female  Essex 7-Jul-2019 09:19 Message #4744010
No. I am not religious in any way but still feel Sunday should have kept as it was. It was a day when people could get together as a family and do things other than shopping. Do people buy more because they are open on Sunday, or is it now spread over seven days rather than six? Now so many are having to work on Sundays, whereas before they could have been home with their families, spnding a day together. The roads were much quieter to drive on without shoppers everywhere. It seems that many people only ever shop, just for the sake of it, rather than explore the countryside and other more relaxing options.
Female
wonderoushen  Female  Gwynedd 7-Jul-2019 11:45 Message #4744051
I sort of agree with Sea Urchin, my mum worked in a shop from when I was 10, I don't think I would of liked growing up and rarely seeing my parents together. But I also remember sunday afternoons and the sense of dread and boredom, especially as a teenager when you couldn't even get a cup of coffee or anything and not feeling welcome anywhere.
Male
Good2BWith  Male  West Yorkshire 7-Jul-2019 15:54 Message #4744083
Amancalled_CHIOG 7-Jul-2019 06:31
Was it a good thing?

1) I presume you mean "Is" not "Was"
2) What are YOUR views on the matter?
Male
brisinger  Male  Lancashire 7-Jul-2019 16:22 Message #4744084
No. It just causes 7 days of madness instead of 6. There's only so much you can buy. I don't think it makes people buy any more.
Female
Andromeda  Female  Berkshire 7-Jul-2019 17:47 Message #4744090
Before Sunday trading was allowed it seemed u fair that garden centres and some other places could trade but not others. I don’t shop on a Sunday as I still look at it as a day of relaxation and family.
Male
tsunamiwarrior  Male  Hertfordshire 7-Jul-2019 20:14 Message #4744128
I’m with you on this Andromeda. Don’t want to shop on a Sunday or a Saturday for that matter.
Male
warmundeft  Male  Wrexham 8-Jul-2019 09:58 Message #4744193
Ah how ludicrous were the restrictions.

"Buy a bag of carrots for £2000 and get a free car."
Female
KatieBubbles  Female  West Sussex 8-Jul-2019 20:49 Message #4744218
I do practically all shopping online. I wouldn’t want to waste a Sunday in the shops.
Male
OnlineMSE  Male  Essex 8-Jul-2019 22:26 Message #4744224
However that is one of the main reason why traditional bricks & mortar shopping will now never be able to not open on a Sunday. Their fixed overheads like rent and rates are payable everyday whether they're open or not.
And don't kid yourself that shopping online means people aren't having to work Sunday's. Online is open 24/7/365 and there are always people involved in that.
So even with the added additional costs of salaries etc. they're likely going to be more than covering outgoings by being open for the 6 hours. If anything the pressure will be increasing for them to try and go for opening all day on a Sunday to increase their trading possibilities.
Male
MrQuiet  Male  Northamptonshire 5-Oct-2019 23:11 Message #4756404
Pros and cons like most things. I have friends in many professions who have always worked Sundays and to them it’s just another day. I would feel I was wasting valuable time if I spent Sunday shopping but many enjoy it.
Female
NoSaint  Female  Devon 6-Oct-2019 21:17 Message #4756589
I don’t like Sunday trading and would prefer to see parents and families in general keeping it as a special day to enjoy with others.
Male
HotOrWot  Male  Lancashire 8-Oct-2019 12:56 Message #4756861
Pros and cons like most things. I have friends in many professions who have always worked Sundays and to them it’s just another day. I would feel I was wasting valuable time if I spent Sunday shopping but many enjoy it.

Exactly.

Back to top  Back to top

Help with conversations Help with conversations »